: New Rear New Whine - Update!

dannystang
04-16-05, 09:58 PM
600 Miles - New Rear Went In

1300 Miles Fluid Swap

Changed out fluid - now I have Lucas gear oil.

Lots of Metal, and Black oil.

The Results...

Less clunk, smoother sound...!

Smoother CRAPPY ASS WHINE THAT IS!

Thats it. I'm trading in for a 07 M3.

I cannot believe a 50k car Whines for god sake. Thats pathetic.

CTSV05
04-17-05, 01:49 AM
Danny,

Very sorry to hear this, how many miles on the new fluid? Mine took a couple of hundred miles to quiet down.

Don't forget, you'll get some noise with the diff support.

dannystang
04-17-05, 04:37 PM
Hey Doug, hope everything is going well...

I wouldnt mind a little noice due to the diff, but this is OVER the radio being kinda loud.

It does sound better more muffled, but still loud.

I only drove it like 50 since new fluid. By the end of the week if it doesnt go away (like 250 miles from now) I think I will have a dealer here just switch it out again...

I mean its bad enuff when my Girlfriend who actually LIKES the sound of the exhaust tells me what the hell is with that weird noise...Isnt this car new...?

BTW, its like twice as loud as when you were in the car...I doubt thats the diff support since that was already in.

Dave's V
04-17-05, 05:47 PM
Good luck! Hopefully, the fluid takes care of it. My new dif has been silent for around 1,500 miles (knocking on wood).

dannystang
04-17-05, 07:23 PM
Was it silent since installation?

wildwhl
04-17-05, 07:37 PM
dannystang -

I'm certainly not knocking CTSV05's cradle support pieces, but, I must say that at least with the BMR pinion support, ANY noise the diff is making will be transmitted into the cabin. The fact is the differential whines - a perfect differential whines to a certain degree. That's what gears do (helical cut or not) as they mesh together.

I don't know how the cradle support mounts up to the diff (or if it does in your case) but is it easy to unmount the diff portion just to test and see if you aren't amplifying a minor noise? Just a thought, don't go :brutal: on my CTSV05 - as I said - I'm sure it isn't your part making the noise, but the diff instead. It just could be amplified by the cradle support, possibly, maybe, OK?

Dave's V
04-17-05, 07:43 PM
Was it silent since installation?

Yes! I followed Cadillac's break-in instructions and then replaced the fluid with redline 75W90 when the rear dif had around 550 miles. The tires make the most noise cruising now, along with wind noise. I can't even notice those unless I'm trying to notice them.

BowenCT
04-17-05, 08:43 PM
My diff started to whine at 800miles, swaped fluid and whine went away. Took the V out today, the whine is back......2400 miles. Not good.

willsctsv
04-17-05, 09:46 PM
550 miles on new diff. Started to whine at 300 miles. Put in Lucas last week and did notice that it was a little quieter. Still whines though!
Mostly when hot,(30 minutes of driving or more).

I now have 300 miles on the new fluid, and no signs of the whine going away. Usually whine doesn't start untill 60 and only under acceleration up to about 80. The hotter it gets, the whine will start at about 50. And is more audible!

I'm getting frustrated with this car and will get rid of it for Lemon law reasons or something. I really enjoy the car but this blows.

Come on, I haven't done one burnout with this pitifull diff! This problem is not brought on by abuse.

CADILLAC, GET IT RIGHT OR I'M FORCED TO GO WITH THE COMPETITION.

Wild, I will pull off the Pinion support this week and see if that's the problem.. Doubt it...

CTSV05
04-17-05, 10:28 PM
dannystang -

I'm certainly not knocking CTSV05's cradle support pieces, but, I must say that at least with the BMR pinion support, ANY noise the diff is making will be transmitted into the cabin. The fact is the differential whines - a perfect differential whines to a certain degree. That's what gears do (helical cut or not) as they mesh together.

I don't know how the cradle support mounts up to the diff (or if it does in your case) but is it easy to unmount the diff portion just to test and see if you aren't amplifying a minor noise? Just a thought, don't go :brutal: on my CTSV05 - as I said - I'm sure it isn't your part making the noise, but the diff instead. It just could be amplified by the cradle support, possibly, maybe, OK?

No worries.

When I installed the Stage 3 kit on Danny's car the night I drove it, about 30-40 miles, there was no noise, or at the worst, a barely noticable sound at certain steady speeds, then as he drove it the next day, it got progressively worse.

When he took me for a ride that evening, I was surprised, it was much louder then our car with the support. Ours was only perceptable at say 60 mph, then not again til like 80 mph, and was only noticeable with the stereo off or very low.

Then they replaced his carrier/diff.

Unfortunately, firming up the diff.'s position is going to transmit some noise into the car, regardless of the method chosen. But if the rearend is healthy, the noise levels will not increase.

For your question, yes, its really a matter of 2 bolts to disconnect the diff support from the crossbar.

It may be worth a try, but honestly, I am sad to say, it sounds like the gears.

Lets hope Danny, that the new fluid will have some effect on the noise level.

StealthV
04-17-05, 10:35 PM
My diff started to whine at 800miles, swaped fluid and whine went away. Took the V out today, the whine is back......2400 miles. Not good.

Time to swap fluid again. :yup:

wildwhl
04-17-05, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I would swap the fluid again as well. I'm at about 1500 miles since replacement, with fluid swap to royal purple at about half that, and no whine yet (maggie is definitely making sure the diff is working harder than normal).

Swap that fluid to something good!

dannystang
04-18-05, 12:39 AM
550 miles on new diff. Started to whine at 300 miles. Put in Lucas last week and did notice that it was a little quieter. Still whines though!
Mostly when hot,(30 minutes of driving or more).

I now have 300 miles on the new fluid, and no signs of the whine going away. Usually whine doesn't start untill 60 and only under acceleration up to about 80. The hotter it gets, the whine will start at about 50. And is more audible!

I'm getting frustrated with this car and will get rid of it for Lemon law reasons or something. I really enjoy the car but this blows.

Come on, I haven't done one burnout with this pitifull diff! This problem is not brought on by abuse.

CADILLAC, GET IT RIGHT OR I'M FORCED TO GO WITH THE COMPETITION.

Wild, I will pull off the Pinion support this week and see if that's the problem.. Doubt it...

This is EXACTLY what happens to me...

Once the car gets hot and im on the freeway forget about it, I get a migrating headache.

CTSV05
04-18-05, 08:42 AM
I just don't understand how there are these glaring inconsistencies. some rears no problems, some whining, and others blowing apart!

I have driven the snot out of our car, with many, many hard shifts, and engine bogging, and tire spinning launches. No failure. With only minor noise.

Personally, I think Getrag has a production problem!!!! Caddy, only buys the unit from them, please remember, if they didn't have any problems in development, then they approved the rear for production.

Well, do you imagine Getrag sent them a inferior unit to test? Not likely. I realize your anger, and frustration, but please remember Caddy is kinda caught in the middle here.

If, and it appears to be the case, Getrag relaxed their quality control on the production models, then we all are suffering from a manufacturers lack of care about their product.

Now on the otherhand, if Caddy was blowing rearends, and went ahead with approving the use of this obviously too weak of a unit, they are now reaping the wrath of their stupidity!

I personally hope its my first scenario.

Any opinions?