: Heat / AC cover ?

Loose screw
04-16-05, 05:11 PM
Since I had the engine and trans out I took the opportunity to replace the heater / AC cover I also cleaned the blower motor and reoiled it.

My question is - both the old and new cover have a large post sticking out below and to the side of the blower. On the original cover this post was molded closed, but the new cover came with post having a large hole. It appears fumes could be drawn into the blower if it is not sealed. What is the purpose of the post and the hole in the new cover, should I seal it? And how?

Ranger
04-16-05, 06:09 PM
Could it be a water drain? If it is what I am envisioning from your discription, and it is a drain, perhaps get some type of elbo and hose and reroute it down.

Loose screw
04-16-05, 07:48 PM
I doubt that it is a drain, as it points forwards and is NOT at a low spot, and it is below the blower and not near the heater core.

zonie77
04-17-05, 01:06 AM
Some GM cars used a hose to route fresh air to the blower...It usually came off another spot on the heater/ac box. That cover must be from another model or a universal replacement. I would just seal it with some tape or caulk...It may not look pretty though. Maybe a hose that goes nowhere with a plug in it.

Pjs
04-17-05, 12:22 PM
Most auto parts stores sell an assortment of rubber caps, you may want to get one tha fits and use some chaulking to keep it in place