: 2 questions for the guru's....!!

BLUCAT98
04-16-05, 12:59 AM
I have the "Intake Plenum Switch-Over Solenoid Valve" connector disconnected. Why don't I get a trouble code on my Scanner?

Second, my scanner did detect a "Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit A" trouble code of P0335. The reason I looked this up was that the car, after reaching operating temperature while driving, it will just DIE!! I thought the CKP and the "camshaft position sensor" were just to keep appropriate timing. I assumed that if one of these would go bad then you'd get a shaking of the car and not just have it shut off.

Can the shutting off part be caused by a faulty coil, and shouldn't I get a code for that too?

Vesicant
04-16-05, 05:55 PM
I have the "Intake Plenum Switch-Over Solenoid Valve" connector disconnected. Why don't I get a trouble code on my Scanner?

Second, my scanner did detect a "Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit A" trouble code of P0335. The reason I looked this up was that the car, after reaching operating temperature while driving, it will just DIE!! I thought the CKP and the "camshaft position sensor" were just to keep appropriate timing. I assumed that if one of these would go bad then you'd get a shaking of the car and not just have it shut off.

Can the shutting off part be caused by a faulty coil, and shouldn't I get a code for that too?

The crankshaft and camshaft are to monitor timing; not change it. The engine is physically timed with the timing belt. What these sensors are doing is allowing the computer to compare timing vs spark and fuel to regulate proper ignition and fuel delivery. If it cant sense the engine "working" then the computer thinks its shut off and cuts fuel and spark. Hence the sudden stall. Its like navigating, using a map without a compass.

How much have you driven the car with that off? it might not have ran long enough to have the computer do its long-term checks to see if it and other systems are running right. Otherwise im not sure why it hasnt registered.

BLUCAT98
04-18-05, 05:47 PM
Thanks Jeff for straightening that out for me!!

I switched the CKP and the car is running nice!! I also checked the alternator and it's putting out 13.63V / 140A max. Which is delightful :thumbsup: !! I didn't know how to read the IP volt meter. Basically the big fatter lines from lowest to highest mean 12v, 14v & 16v. The high red portion of the meter should be 18v.

To this day I'm still driving with the "Intake Plenum Switch-Over Solenoid Valve" connector off without apparent problems. I guess I should put it back in and drive with it on for a while to see what happens???

Also, when I changed the CKP sensor it was pretty dirty.., but other than that it seemed fine. It was leaking from its oil seal. I re-routed the new one to stay on the left of the engine. Do you think that just cleaning it and replacing the "O" ring would've fixed the problem?

Vesicant
04-18-05, 06:49 PM
Sometimes it being a little dirty and people cleaning it off works .. but if its been oil soaked or is chalked with dirt etc. then its pretty much done with.

BLUCAT98
04-18-05, 08:31 PM
A well worth it $75 lesson!!

Thanks Jeffery.