: Playing MP3's

ryn8a
04-15-05, 10:00 PM
I burned a few disks with MP3's in a directory structure like:

Artist-->
Album-->
Song

They aren't playing in either the cd or dvd slot. I used Nero to burn them. Any suggestions?

akm2k5
04-15-05, 10:14 PM
I dont think the CTSV cd player plays mp3s...

ryn8a
04-15-05, 10:29 PM
I could have sworn I read that it did...?

homer403
04-15-05, 10:29 PM
For what it's worth, I burned CD's with iTunes and Roxio and they work fine.

ctsvett
04-15-05, 10:51 PM
vocabulary check:

Homer: you probably burned them to audio formate (to play in a regular CD player). about 10-19 songs/ disc (74 mins of music)

Ryan: You are trying to have the head unit play mp3 data files, correct. Well, sorry to tell you but it does not. You must burn them to CD audio before they will play. They did add this feature to the STS I think (which is where you may have heard this), but it will not work on the CTS.

Reed

homer403
04-15-05, 10:54 PM
D'oH... thanks Reed.

akm2k5
04-15-05, 10:55 PM
question. If the dvd nav can play dvd movies, and most dvd players can play mp3s, is there no way to unlock the dvd player to play mp3s? Or is it just not supported at all? (just an idea)...

Devil_concours
04-16-05, 07:32 PM
question. If the dvd nav can play dvd movies, and most dvd players can play mp3s, is there no way to unlock the dvd player to play mp3s? Or is it just not supported at all? (just an idea)...
that is a possiblity if dvd nav is capable doing flash firmware updates. Other than that only thing i can think of doing would be piggy back devices but that would require too much $$$ to do r&d

FYI, not all dvd players do the same thing. Like my dvd player plays divx/xvid movies but most dvd markets do not. Mp3 decoding is a simple thing to do but not all dvd player supports it.

don_mccarter
04-16-05, 08:42 PM
The STS plays MP3's. There is a section in the owners manual,
"audio system(s), radio with CD" that lists which MP3 format works.
I extracted my favorite songs from CD, converted them to MP3,
added ID3 tags and copied them to disc.
They work fine, the songs are listed by number and the tuning knob
changes the songs.

lawfive
04-16-05, 09:02 PM
Different nav in the STS, right?

Maybe the same Columbo who figures out how we 04 and early 05 CTS-V owners can get OnStar traffic conditions into our nav can also figure out how we can get our DVD player to decode MP3. Please?

ctsvett
04-17-05, 08:09 AM
Different nav in the STS...

You cant "unlock" the nav unit to play these files as far as I know. It would need a firmware uprgrade from GM.

Reed

dannystang
04-17-05, 05:58 PM
Well if the DVD player plays MPEG2, then I guess you could convert your MP3's over no?

Doesn't Mpeg always have some kind of audio codec?

Still smaller then wav?

akm2k5
04-17-05, 06:03 PM
Good point, and then you can burn it to a dvd cd or something. Maybe someone will look into it..

Well if the DVD player plays MPEG2, then I guess you could convert your MP3's over no?

Still smaller then wav?

diver110
04-17-05, 06:05 PM
Here is how I play MP3s. I bought a portable CD/MP3 player. Then I bought this nifty device that plugs into the headphone jack of that player and sends a radio signal to the car radio. Presto, you play your MP3s over the radio. It works great though occasionally I pick up some radio static. The items are available at Circuit City.

akm2k5
04-17-05, 06:07 PM
Diver..

i think were all stumped to find out that a 50k car cant play mp3s in the year 2005.... (even if its a 2004 model, mp3s have been out forever)..

Joey'sVee
04-17-05, 06:09 PM
JMHO...FM modulators suck...I refuse to go that route!

lawfive
04-17-05, 07:17 PM
JMHO...FM modulators suck...I refuse to go that route!

:werd: GPS nav, DVD, satellite radio, and OnStar, but MP3 over RF? :helpless:

Devil_concours
04-17-05, 09:47 PM

Still smaller then wav?
mpeg2 you're talking about is a video codec.

odysseus
04-17-05, 10:25 PM
MP3 stands for MPEG audio layer 3 . . . . the audio portion of MPEG video compression. For MPEG-1 it's fixed bitrate. MPEG-2 introduces variable bitrate encoding.

I don't think the head unit has software to recognize straight MP3's though. If a firmware update is ever available, it would likely only work on the DVD player, since the 6 disk changer is audio only.

akm2k5
04-17-05, 10:40 PM
well someone better get working on a firmware.... :)

ctsvett
04-18-05, 07:19 AM
someone BETTER get working on firmware..

Oh by the way, the way easier thing to do (and probably chepaer in the long run also) would be to go and buy this new fangled device they call an iPod. You see its a hard drive device that stores and plays large amounts of MP3 files and you dont have to burn them to that old CD/DVD technology.

You can even hook up your iPod WITHOUT a modulator (sounds awesome!) by going to the following site: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/auxaud

I bet you were the one who tried to figure out how to make 8 tracks work with your new car that played CDs huh?

my tome= I'm just kidding guys... (I'm in that kinda mood)

Reed

Devil_concours
04-18-05, 09:39 AM
someone BETTER get working on firmware..

Oh by the way, the way easier thing to do (and probably chepaer in the long run also) would be to go and buy this new fangled device they call an iPod. You see its a hard drive device that stores and plays large amounts of MP3 files and you dont have to burn them to that old CD/DVD technology.

You can even hook up your iPod WITHOUT a modulator (sounds awesome!) by going to the following site: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/auxaud

I bet you were the one who tried to figure out how to make 8 tracks work with your new car that played CDs huh?

my tome= I'm just kidding guys... (I'm in that kinda mood)

Reed

so technically i can use my psp through that same method as well right?

Joey'sVee
04-18-05, 09:41 AM
SOwhen you get it the car where do you plug your ipod in???

ctsvett
04-18-05, 10:53 AM
OK.

1. Yes you can use any device that has a minijack input (DVD/ iPod, PSP, anything!)

2. When I get into my car, I plug my ipod into the SIK adapter which uses the proprietary ipod connector to provide a line out and power to the iPod at the same time. I wired the power into the cigarrette plug (which I adapted to work on RAP)... So, when I leave the car, I pause the iPod and it shuts itself off (and no power is "wasted" to it). When I get back in and start the car, its on a steady stream of juice.

SIK adapter: http://www.sik.com/

Reed

akm2k5
04-18-05, 11:03 AM
What? It doesnt play 8 tracks? We got screwed....

KNs_
09-01-05, 05:26 AM
well you all should read my article I wrote about playing mp3 on DVD. I'm sure it works on any cadillac DVD player!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49124&highlight=cts+mp3

corneredbeast
09-01-05, 10:57 PM
well you all should read my article I wrote about playing mp3 on DVD. I'm sure it works on any cadillac DVD player!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49124&highlight=cts+mp3

You can also do this with Toast 7 on the Mac; I've burned 70+ hours to a dual-layer disc but navigating the menus generated by Toast is a real pain with the Nav's controls. I'm pretty sure this can be done with DVD Studio, which would give you the ability to create a more Nav friendly menu, but I haven't tried that yet.

ctsvett
09-02-05, 12:04 AM
So when you have the MP3 dvd in the drive, you cant use the NAV (the disc is out) and you cant change the track, Right?

I'll stick with my ipod thank you.

Reed

KNs_
09-02-05, 04:28 AM
You cant use NAV yes, but for me it doesnt work anyway:(. And you can change the track only while parking. Anyway the menus are ok with this program and it took with my PC about 5 hours to burn 4,7GB DVD.

SBONES
09-02-05, 10:06 AM
i got the monster transmiter and its not the best...i gets staticy if u dont have a clear station...direct hook up is the way to go....if ya know how...

ctsvett
09-02-05, 01:25 PM
Sbones..

the know how is right here: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/auxaud/

I am working on a plug and play kit made to order. No cutting required...

anyone interested?

Reed

odysseus
09-02-05, 03:06 PM
So when you have the MP3 dvd in the drive, you cant use the NAV (the disc is out) and you cant change the track, Right?

Actually, it will NOT play MP3's. If you put an MP3 CD in the data drive, it won't do anything. What KNs_ has come up with is to convert an MP3 collection to the AC3 format before burning it to the DVD (which is a much better solution than nothing). So basically, it plays the audio track of a DVD, with all of the indiosyncrasies of playing a DVD in the CTS (or CTS-V). Unfortunately for me, my early '03 CTS Nav is CD based, and not DVD, so it doesn't work for me anyway.

What is utterly unbelievable is that Cadillac introduced a completely new car with the CTS, and didn't have MP3 decoders built into the audio disks OR Aux inputs, like most aftermarket car stereo manufactures have been doing for several years. The $3500 CTS Nav won't do what a $150 Sony car stereo will.

When someone comes up with a hack to allow the stock Nav to start an MP3 executable on a burned CD/DVD with an MP3 collection, then I'm in. I read somewhere that the CTS Nav uses a modified version of Windows CE (if anyone can verify or discredit this, Please Post!). If so, there has to be a way to run a Windows CE MP3 player somehow. Something similar was done years ago to get a Sega Dreamcast game box to boot and run Linux.

kimcheejeegae
09-02-05, 03:28 PM
I thought I read in someone's post that you can burn WAV files to a DVD disc and the DVD player will play it... 100-120 songs per DVD disc... not bad at all.

ctsvett
09-02-05, 04:07 PM
I read somewhere that the CTS Nav uses a modified version of Windows CE (if anyone can verify or discredit this, Please Post!). If so, there has to be a way to run a Windows CE MP3 player somehow. Something similar was done years ago to get a Sega Dreamcast game box to boot and run Linux.

Where did you read that? I am very curious now!

Reed

DgtalPimp
09-02-05, 04:14 PM
I am sure you all know this but I figured I would say it any way.

You cn burn your selected songs to WAV and play them in the six disk cd player. You can get any where from 10 - 20 songs (depends on length of song) on a CD in WAV format.

ctsvett
09-02-05, 04:46 PM
I am sure you all know this but I figured I would say it any way.

You cn burn your selected songs to WAV and play them in the six disk cd player. You can get any where from 10 - 20 songs (depends on length of song) on a CD in WAV format.

HAHAH yeah.. that's called an audio cd!

nice one...

Reed

DgtalPimp
09-02-05, 04:48 PM
:shhh:

SBONES
09-02-05, 05:54 PM
im in...

KNs_
09-09-05, 10:29 AM
How listen MP3
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49124&highlight=mp3+dvd

LV_V
09-09-05, 08:14 PM
Reed, I'd be in for a "plug and play" audio aux in kit. I am planning on doing the splice method to the XM unit for my iPod very soon.

alcast082
09-09-05, 11:38 PM
what if you simply record music video's on a dvd'r and play them on the nav, that would probably work, i'll try it later.
The only thing is that you would have to press the two buttons that let you play dvd's while driving and then you can't forward or do anything,
we would only be able to let it play.
kinda sucks