: AC Squeel on my '87 307ci Brougham

FrankieSixxxgun
04-15-05, 04:26 PM
When I turn on the AC I get a nice whistle from under the hood that changes with engine RPM. It sounds like the brearings in the compressor when the compressor is switched on. Is there any way for me to grease the brearings to stop the noise either via an external lube or by adding some lubricant to the cooling system or am I just beat? I'm fairly certain it's not the belt squeeling.

The Ape Man
04-16-05, 09:40 AM
Turn it on and get it to squeak. Spray something on the fan belt to change it's gripping capability. If you don't mind a mess, use WD-40. See if the noise changes from that. If not then it's probably time for a compressor. They are so cheap these days that repair is not worth the time. Sorry, no place for grease fittings. If the compressor is bad, you will also need to replace the expansion valve as it has a filter which will be full of compressor innards. Only convert refigerant types as a last resort. Your condensor is not the proper type to do a really good job with R-134.

FrankieSixxxgun
04-18-05, 03:27 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not the belt, but I'll double check. The AC works great, so I'll probably wait until it blows all the way up before I go junkyard a new compressor. I have every intention to leave it R-12 until I absolutely have to convert.