: Brake Squeel

jdodman
04-15-05, 07:38 AM
2004 CTS V with 15k miles suddenly develops brake squeel when brakes are applied. Don't tell me the brakes are like the tires and only last 1/3 of the normal life span of every other normal part...

Anyone else get this ?? Should I ignore ??

StealthV
04-15-05, 07:57 AM
The V does have very soft sacrifical brake pads in the name of performance. It is possible you need new pads. Take one of the front wheels off, check out the pads and measure the thickness.

cdog533
04-15-05, 10:43 PM
Mine too... dealer says pads are 50%

trekster
04-15-05, 10:44 PM
Mines goes on and off. I might need to change pads.

willsctsv
04-15-05, 11:33 PM
After I ran at Limerock on the weekend, I noticed a little squeak now. Probably glazed up the pads a bit. I don't think I need to change them yet, only 3500 miles on em.

If I make a habbit ouy of being a weekend warrior, I guess I'll try some after market pads, I just don't want ones that squeak. The factory pads seem OK, For what I put them through,any suggestions?

DILLIGAF
04-16-05, 01:42 AM
Mine squeak and always have in certain situations,I don't worry about it.They have lots of pad left too.Seems to do it under very light loads.

ahahnu
04-16-05, 11:25 AM
I was coming on to start a thread about this. My car does it everytime I stop in one way or another. Whether it starts when I first apply the brakes or when I am slowly rolling to a stop. I looked at the outsides and felt the insides of all my rotors, no unordinary grooves. I have like 6700 miles on my car and the rear is whinning louder then ever now. I'm gonna take it in again this week, and see what they say.

cdog533
04-16-05, 11:34 AM
I was coming on to start a thread about this. My car does it everytime I stop in one way or another. Whether it starts when I first apply the brakes or when I am slowly rolling to a stop. I looked at the outsides and felt the insides of all my rotors, no unordinary grooves. I have like 6700 miles on my car and the rear is whinning louder then ever now. I'm gonna take it in again this week, and see what they say.
Mine is at 15K, same exact deal.

It's not a chirp or a squeak. Its a squeal. Its like "eeee-eeee-eeeee-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" till I am all the way stopped with people at the light looking at me like "WTF is wrong with that Caddy?"

trekster
04-18-05, 08:29 PM
I'm starting to get a "eeeeeee---eeeeeee--eeeeeee-eee" sound when I start moving the car from a stop all the way up to 10 mph or so.

Dreamin
04-18-05, 09:13 PM
As suggested... make sure you have pad left... and it's not the wear bar squealling (sounds like you're pressing a screwdriver into the brake rotor). Maybe this eeeeeeeee you guys are talking about.
You may get the sound without applying the brakes.

If you have pad left... re-bed the pads:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/bedbrakes.html

NO need you buy new pads if you have pad left!

Dreamin
04-18-05, 09:14 PM
I'm starting to get a "eeeeeee---eeeeeee--eeeeeee-eee" sound when I start moving the car from a stop all the way up to 10 mph or so.

Without applying the brakes? That's the wear-bar... time for new pads...

trekster
04-18-05, 09:53 PM
Without applying the brakes? That's the wear-bar... time for new pads... yes...forgot to metion about not applying the breaks sorry.

Vrocks
04-18-05, 09:59 PM
My brakes started to squeel at 12K miles, and it seems to be getting worse ( 13K miles now ). It still happens infrequently during medium pedal pressure and when the brakes are at normal operating temp. If I'm hard on the brakes for a stop or two the noise goes away, or if the brakes are cold.

They make an even louder squeel if the car rolls back down a hill with light brake pressure.

Stealth111
04-19-05, 09:13 AM
2300 miles here and I have the squeal most times when not under HEAVY braking.. :(

Vlightful
04-19-05, 01:14 PM
I have 11,800 miles and also have the squeak on normal stopping. I'm not sure how long it's been squeaking as the weather up here has finally allowed for windows to be down. I agree with previous posts that on moderate ot hard braking you have no squeak.