lasstss
04-14-05, 10:39 PM
let the masses decide the fate...

But after this, majority wins....

Reed

Reed, you are the man! happy trails.........:thumbsup:

Vrocks
04-15-05, 12:15 AM
If the forum goes back to a single V section can you increase the number of threads shown per page?

BeelzeBob
04-15-05, 12:21 AM
If the forum goes back to a single V section can you increase the number of threads shown per page?
Unfortunately, that setting isn't available on a per-forum basis.. Sorry..

StealthV
04-15-05, 12:22 AM
User CP > Edit Options > Scroll down to "Number of Posts to Show Per Page"

Mine is set at the max of 40. Only a handful of times has there been more than one page of new threads in a 24-hr. period.

:cheers:

BeelzeBob
04-15-05, 12:25 AM

Mine is set at the max of 40. Only a handful of times has there been more than one page of new threads in a 24-hr. period.

Yup, that would be your solution. It would change that for every forum but if you visit here mostly, it would do exactly what you want... Thanks, Rick.. I forgot about that..

Vrocks
04-15-05, 12:35 AM

:banghead2 should have checked before I asked... thanks Stealth

BUILDINGCTSAMG
04-15-05, 12:56 AM
i also voted for one big forum... i like it better that way

PneuBird
04-15-05, 03:03 AM
I think we should keep it the way it was......I waste more time bouncing back and forth between forums!!!! :cookoo:

trukk
04-15-05, 07:48 AM
Don't fear change :)

Having two isn't all bad. See this post.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=302538&postcount=31

For those that don't read the forum daily, the 'interesting' tech stuff gets burried by the fluff.

Isn't it a bit annoying, when a good thread is going, tackling a tricky technical bit, and in comes 8 new posts about Lease rates, I just bought a V, etc? Also if it went back to one big one, there would be like 10 Sticky posts, taking up even more valuable first page space.

Enjoy the new format. At least give it some time, rather than doing the 'knee jerk'.

My $.02,

Chris

malcolm
04-15-05, 08:56 AM
I come from the STS forum but there are days when postings are light. I find myself clicking on the new posts button and browsing through the whole site ignoring the topics that don't interest me and reading the threads that do. This is the best Cadillac forum I have found and check in every day.

BeelzeBob
04-15-05, 09:21 AM
I'm glad this is turning out to be a landslide.. It would have been rough if it were a 50/50 deal. Since most people look like they'd prefer one forum, that's likely what we'll see by the end of the day. Unless somebody wants more time for the voting...

trukk
04-15-05, 09:30 AM
Heh,

More time, more time :)

I don't think a lot of people are giving this a chance. It's just too easy to stay in your comfort zone, even though the new way may be more efficient.

-Chris

lasstss
04-15-05, 09:46 AM
I like the big pot theory.. What we look at is optional. Just police the junk like Stealth said.. It gets like windows.. everything gets a glossary and it too hard to find.

JBeechel
04-15-05, 09:51 AM
Comfort zones are just that... comfortable. The only people who seemed to have any problems with the way it was were mods. I think the majority of us like to have the fluff to keep from hurting our brains on the tech issues...

urbanski
04-15-05, 10:02 AM
my 2 cents.
combine them again....but for the sake of all that is holy LOCK the "wheel hop", "is this a good deal", "what tires", "what mods", and "what with the '0X V be like" threads!!
Lock em, reply with a firm but kind "use the forum search function and check www.cadillacfaq.com site"

dannystang
04-15-05, 10:16 AM
:lildevil: I like everything but what urbanski said.

urbanski
04-15-05, 10:17 AM
:lildevil: I like everything but what urbanski said.
LOL

trukk
04-15-05, 10:36 AM
Arghh,

Looks like I'm trying to herd cats here.

If we do go back to one forum, I think we need a Forum FAQ as the top Sticky. I hate forums that are dictatorial, and have so many rules, that it is no longer fun to post/read there. I also don't enjoy trying to read a chaotic jumble of irelevant or 'already asked and answered a million times' posts. An example of a quick and dirty V Forum Faq would be:

1) This is a relaxed forum for CTS-V enthusiasts. Have fun, don't take things too seriously, but also try not be a jerk :). The 'rules' listed below are not doctrine. Try and follow them as best you can, so the forum remains a fun place to get good infomation about a wonderful vehicle.
2) This is a high volume forum. Please create a user account and log in to help making reading the site easier. It will allow you to view attached pictures, send/recieve PM's with other users (after X number of posts). It will also track which posts are new to the forum since your last logon.
3) If you like this forum, and want it to continue, please consider becoming a SUPPORTING MEMBER. This will help ofset the costs of the site, and will help to guarantee that the best resource for Cadillac information on the Internet continues operating.
4) Please post on topic, I.E. CTS-V related topics. Other topics belong in the other forums on this site.
5) V Forum member, CTSVETTE (Reed), maintains an excellent CTS-V specific FAQ at www.cadillacfaq.com. Take some time to read this FAW, it is a tremendous resource, and answeres MANY common questions. It also has a nice acronym list which makes reading this forum understandable :)
6) SEARCH the forum prior to posting. Many times your question has already been asked, and answered. Many Many times it has been asked and answered multiple times (see below). This courtesy allows pertinant posts to stay in the forefront longer, allowing the discusion to be more fruitful. Also, consider posting to an existing relevant thread rather than creating a new thread when appropriate.
7) Look at the STICKY threads, they are important. Please don't start a new thread with a post that belongs in a sticky thread.
8) Certain topics have been discussed ad nausium here, and probabaly don't need to be brought back up, unless really new exciting info is available. Some of these posts include:

a) Complaining about Wheel hop, rear diffs, driveline clunk, crappy shifter. Yes it's annoying, we all know it. Solutions are welcome, complaingin about it is not.
b) Should I really buy this car? 90% of these are validating a decision you've already made. Search the forum, it's been answered many many times.
c) Which tires? [Perhaps this should be a stickly, as it is important, and new models become available, but we don't need 50+ threads on this]
d) I just bought a V! Welcome to the club :). Please post in the V registry http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12432 rather than starting a new thread.
e) BB Exhaust vs. Corsa Exhaust mod.
f) Should I ditch the run flats? Fix-a-flat vs. Spare tire if ditching the EMTs.
g) Any 'how do I...' that are answered in Reed's FAQ. UNLESS you are bringing new and exciting ways to do things! (that's why we are here!)

My $.02

-Chris

benjet
04-15-05, 12:30 PM
Adding to trukks comments above what are everyones thoughts on:

a> thread consolidation (10 older tire threads down to 1 or 2)
b> locking or otherwise moving off the front page - newbie searchable already answered questions, that now takeup room and everytime ppl answer (with we've covered this already) it gets re-bumped to the top...

Other suggestions welcome!

RobzBLKV
04-15-05, 01:02 PM
Chris, you aren't herding cats, it's just that the majority of the board users disagree with you. :)

I agree that it would be great if we could get a lock policy for searchable questions or often repeated questions. It's not like the search function is hard to use.

Sandyfoot-V
04-15-05, 03:17 PM
I suppose by writing such an inflammatory marquee headliner I should have anticipated a heated discussion. While I agree that it does get old pouring over inane commentary, I would argue that many of us enjoy the technical and social interaction found on this site. Some of the most enjoyable threads have had no technical merit whatsoever.

We spend hours away from family and friends, and waste otherwise productive time blearing at a screen discussing our beloved Vs and enjoying a little camaraderie. My opinion was that it was functioning fine as is.

I apologize if I have offended anyone. We definately owe a sincere "thanks" to all of the moderators for their tireless effort in a sometimes-thankless job. I promise to limit my pre-post Scotch consumption to one drink. ;)

Geno
04-15-05, 03:25 PM
I suppose by writing such an inflammatory marquee headliner I should have anticipated a heated discussion. While I agree that it does get old pouring over inane commentary, I would argue that many of us enjoy the technical and social interaction found on this site. Some of the most enjoyable threads have had no technical merit whatsoever.

We spend hours away from family and friends, and waste otherwise productive time blearing at a screen discussing our beloved Vs and enjoying a little camaraderie. My opinion was that it was functioning fine as is.

I apologize if I have offended anyone. We definately owe a sincere "thanks" to all of the moderators for their tireless effort in a sometimes-thankless job. I promise to limit my pre-post Scotch consumption to one drink. ;)

I couldn't have said it better myself. The fun part about this forum is we have people from all over the US and we banter back and forth like we've been buddies all of our lives. We just want the forum to be easy to use where we don't get lost in a big megalopolis (dang my spell checker didn't puke on "mega....").

BeelzeBob
04-15-05, 04:25 PM
Since I'm on the side that feels the two forums are a good idea (I disagreed at first, actually) - I have to say... It's just a click! One click. It's not like there's a lot more work involved in finding the less technical, friendly posts. It's only one click away..

On the other hand, this is a total landslide. Way more people would rather have one forum than two - so this seems to be a no-brainer...

Are we really giving this vote more time? I don't see it changing directions...

04-15-05, 04:50 PM
Since I'm on the side that feels the two forums are a good idea (I disagreed at first, actually) - I have to say... It's just a click! One click. It's not like there's a lot more work involved in finding the less technical, friendly posts. It's only one click away..

On the other hand, this is a total landslide. Way more people would rather have one forum than two - so this seems to be a no-brainer...

Are we really giving this vote more time? I don't see it changing directions...

Hey I sometimes still use dial up; I have to use my clicks wisely!

Seriously, though, after I better understood the setup of the two forums I didn't think it would make a difference. But, in reality I almost never go to the non-tech forum. I click my same old bookmark, scan one forum to see if there is anything of interest, peek, answer if compelled to, and move on.

I have two of the BEST freakin V-shirts in the whole wide world....which I would likely not have if the two forums existed in the first place. I would have missed the boat.

One forum was fine with me. Glad to see I am not alone.

BeelzeBob
04-15-05, 05:40 PM
That's a pretty good point.. If people generally stay in the main forum and don't care to click elsewhere, I suppose that would mean friendly discussions would be missed...

RobzBLKV
04-15-05, 07:23 PM
Fwiw, I expect that in the future you may have to split it up no matter how many of us would prefer you didn't just due to volume. Or maybe everyone will agree b/c stuff dissapears to fast as more people join. I just don't think it's necessary yet.

I am amazed and impressed that you guys are willing to change your minds and the plans so easily though. Hats off.

04-15-05, 10:02 PM
I am amazed and impressed that you guys are willing to change your minds and the plans so easily though. Hats off.

I most certainly and humbly agree. You guys are awesome.

slow35th
04-15-05, 11:04 PM
I voted "I don't Care" but would probably prefer one big forum like it was before. I read most everything in here and little or nothing in all the others.

Joey'sVee
04-16-05, 05:06 PM
I like having two catagories. I don't like the thread scrolling so fast.

lawfive
04-16-05, 05:12 PM
Reed: I was gone for a week, so missed the pre-decision poll. I like it this way better. Thanks, man.