: 94 Concours prob. after EGR cleaning P036

ibsellin
04-14-05, 10:27 PM
1994 Concours N* was displaying p036 code when i ran diag. through DIC, egr pintle valve out of position. I removed valve per instructions on this wonderful site. Oh, the car was running fine before I did this, by the way. I just wanted to clear the code. Removed EGR, cleaned carbon off of bottom of valve and shaft with carb cleaner and brush. I was careful not to turn egr over so the cleaner would not enter the main part of it. egr valve now unstuck and moving freely. disconnected negative batt. cable for a few minutes and reattached. When i started the car back up it idled fine, but once underway would surge/hesitate especially at lower rpm. WOT seemed normal, maybe a little sluggish. Around 40-45mph felt almost like someone was on and off the accelerator constantly. I feel like an idiot for trying to fix what really wasn't a big problem in the first place. If it ain't broke...
Any help would be great!
This is my fist post, so please take it easy on me.

BeelzeBob
04-14-05, 10:35 PM
Are you sure that the shaft was cleaned up inside the cast passage in the base...?? That is the critical area.

AFter putting everything back together was anything left loose..?? Wire connector to the EGR valve, any injector wires moved or disconnected inadvertently.??

If every thing is fine, drive it for awhile. It may have had some fuel learn values that were off and reset when you took the battery cable loose and it needs some time to be driven and re-learned.

Nothing could be hurt by what you did so it is likely something really simple. The code indicated that the EGR was definitely sticking so it needed to be addressed anyway. If it is not resetting the code after driving for a half hour or so then the EGR valve is working ok.

mcowden
04-14-05, 11:38 PM
Whereabouts are you in the Keys? I'm going diving in and around Marathon and Looe Key in early June. I'll come by and take a look.

ibsellin
04-17-05, 04:28 PM
Well, drove the car for a day, about 60 miles, was still getting stutter/chugging at lower speeds/rpm. removed and cleaned egr again, made sure to pay attention to the shaft inside the base. the valve moved very easily and freely. Reinstalled, drove another 60 or so mi., same problem. i'm not getting the code anymore however. I couldn't deal with the surging anymore so i unplugged the egr valve. now it seems to run fine again. if i check the codes i'll get a p036, but it doesn't come up on its own.
Am i hurting the car by running without the egr plugged in? I'll try giving it another cleaning and then reattach. thanks guys.