: New Owner Can I work on My Seville N* myself? Is it too electronic?

Twilightcall
10-15-03, 07:52 PM
Hi guys I am the new owner of a 94' Cadillac Seville SLS with Northstar engine. I have 130K on the clock and it is black with tan interior. It has the carriage top (cloth top). I am not sure what this package is called.
My main concern is can I work on this car myself due to the larger amount of electronics. I work on all of my own cars but this one is newer than my other cars and has more electronics like direct fire and EFI. Please let me know if this is ok. Thanks.

zonie77
10-15-03, 09:51 PM
Of course you can!

You have to learn a little more before you dive in.The basics are the same, it burns gas and the tires turn. Now you have to figure out how.

Try to get a shop manual for it. I know it's expensive but it answers so many questions.
I'm in Phoenix Az... The public library has Alldata and Mitchells on Demand available but you can only access them from a library computer, not from the internet. Check out what your library has available, it may save you some money and get you a lot of help.

elwesso
10-16-03, 10:06 PM
Welcome Twilightcall.....

Please see your other thread....... And for the record, please do not cross post..... You agreed not to do it in the USER AGREEMENT...... One thread is pleanty for one topic....... No big deal...... :)

Twilightcall
10-17-03, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the welcome. Ok, sorry about that. I am new so I don't know where the best place to post is for tech. Just testing the waters. Thanks.

elwesso
10-17-03, 07:35 PM
Typical newbie...... ;)

No biggie..... :thumbsup:

jonrodman
10-17-03, 10:39 PM
Hi guys I am the new owner of a 94' Cadillac Seville SLS with Northstar engine. I have 130K on the clock and it is black with tan interior. It has the carriage top (cloth top). I am not sure what this package is called.
My main concern is can I work on this car myself due to the larger amount of electronics. I work on all of my own cars but this one is newer than my other cars and has more electronics like direct fire and EFI. Please let me know if this is ok. Thanks.

Hi,
I love driving my Seville, but have not had any luck working on it. My experience is that the Seville is the most difficult car to work on that I have ever owned. There are a lot of electronics but that is not usually an issue. What I find is that there is very little space under the hood. It is very difficult to work on the engine. It requires exactly the right tools for each job. There is very little room for error.

The rest of the car is really nice to work on. The brakes are really well designed. The exhaust from the cat back is easily accessible. I had do do some work on one of the doors, and the inner pannel is easily removable.

If you are asking for advice, I would suggest purchasing some good shop manuals and looking through them. It will be very interesting reading. The Seville is a high tech precision automobile. It is difficult to work on, and any mistakes can be very costly. It takes more planning to repair a Seville than other cars.

I now take mine to the best mechanic I know for service. I still work on my other cars, but have done more harm than good on the Seville.

Jon

elwesso
10-17-03, 10:50 PM
Anything under the hood, and deep within especially you are gonna want some good tools, especially ones that flex and bend..... BIG timesavers.......