: 98 STS Motor mount busted

kewllover
04-14-05, 12:49 PM
How common is it for a motor mount to break on these cars? Dealer says I have been getting on the gas too much and the motor is to powerful and will break the mount easily. That sounds really silly to me, weare talking heavy gauge steel here. With the motor flopping around in there like a fish what impact does that have on the rest of the drive train, like the transmission, or any other parts?

Thanks
Chad

maydog
04-14-05, 02:18 PM
That dealer is full of it, can you really see that it is broken?

eldorado1
04-14-05, 03:51 PM
I assume you're talking about the top front torque struts? I don't know if 7 years is long enough to rot the rubber... but what probably happened was the rubber insulation died, and you ended up slamming the engine into the mount any time you accelerated. I bet it made "tink/thud" noises too.

If it is the top ones, they're easy to replace yourself.

1fastSTS
04-14-05, 05:07 PM
my 99 STS motor mount, was actually cracked. i took it out myself, got a new one for 19 dollars on e bay, he sent me the wrong motor mount and i figured thats why it was 19 dollars, so i e mailed him and he then sent me the correct one. and installed perfectly. i think a new one from the dealer is around 100- 125 bucks, i was happy i only spent 19, heh!!
i then saw RSM website and was thinking of buying those stiffer motor mounts, i had them on my supercharged Buick Regal GS, i liked them. Just an idea.

kewllover
04-14-05, 05:54 PM
I actually saw the broken one, I watched when he put the car in gear and gave it a tiny bit of gas with the brake on, the front of the motor lifted up about 6 or 8 inches. It looked like a fish flopping around, now with the new mount in the motor doesnt move at all.

Thanks
Chad

Spyder
04-14-05, 06:29 PM
With good mounts, don't worry about romping on it...they shouldn't break under normal wear and tear...they're built solid enough to handle the engine...

danbuc
04-14-05, 08:54 PM
The later models made after they got rid of the dog-bones, are prones to bad mounts, if you romp on it alot. I know I do, and my front one is shot. Brake standing it, the front of the engine lifts up over the radiator. Even shifting gears, the engine rocks back and forth pretty badly. I'm probably going to get the set of four from RSM, since I have a feeling one of the side mounts might be gone too. Since I do drive it pretty hard, I'd like to have the heavy duty mounts, to prevent them from going again.

El Dobro
04-15-05, 03:58 PM
It only took three techs and 1/2 dozen visits to the Caddy dealer to find the front one in my car was broken. I guess the face full of oil from it that the last one got tipped him off.

JimD
04-15-05, 06:43 PM
It only took three techs and 1/2 dozen visits to the Caddy dealer to find the front one in my car was broken. I guess the face full of oil from it that the last one got tipped him off.

Is it too late for you to take a picture of that failed front mount?

El Dobro
04-16-05, 09:06 AM
The dealer changed it under warranty, so it's long gone.