: Starting off in 2nd gear

carguy16
04-13-05, 04:14 PM
Is there any problem using 2nd gear starting off in slippery conditions? Could this damage the tranny???

Also, would this save gas because the gearing is lower? Dumb question, but I had to ask.

cadillacmike68
04-13-05, 05:32 PM
i don't think you can in an automatic transmission. that "2" is to LIMIT you to a max of 2nd gear.

fleetwood76
04-13-05, 05:35 PM
The winter mode on auto trannys does so the tranny starts in the 2nd gear, i think that it also change the engine control, on some cars, but i'm not sure.
However, if you use your fun pedal like it should in slippery condishons, there is no problem for the tranny.
But if you are flooring your fun pedal like in dragracing with good traction and starts on 2nd gear the tranny get overloaded and worn out in notime.
If you treat your fun pedal right, i think there should be little that differ either way in fuel saving.

jolle

CharBroiled
04-13-05, 11:39 PM
Some Ford trannys will start in 2nd when selected. It does help when you have an engine with lots of low end torque. I used to drag race starting in 2nd so I wouldnt smoke the tires. It all depends on the final gear ratio really. As for beating on the tranny on a 2nd gear holeshot, it probably does but hey, if youre not breaking parts, youre not having fun.. but in winter conditions (Im from Maine) its an old trick. Just go easy.

davesdeville
04-14-05, 01:33 AM
Using first and being light on the gas will work better anyway..