: Head gasket replacement

vett97
04-13-05, 09:20 AM
Hello

I am doing a head gasket replacement on a 4.6 Northstar 1995. Question on the exhaust manifolds do I have to remove them. Can I remove them with the head or can I just unbolt them leaving in place and removing the heads? Does the front cover have to be removed? Are the cam sprocket keyed? Any other help would be helpful. I have factory manuals, I know about the inserts and the cradle.

Thank You

Paul

zonie77
04-13-05, 12:12 PM
Look in the technical section at the headgasket thread. Do you have the manuals?

Do you realize that you should be dropping the engine (cradle)?

Your engine probably needs head bolt hole inserts (timeserts, not helicoils)...be prepared in case it does.

BeelzeBob
04-13-05, 04:42 PM
Hello

I am doing a head gasket replacement on a 4.6 Northstar 1995. Question on the exhaust manifolds do I have to remove them. Can I remove them with the head or can I just unbolt them leaving in place and removing the heads? Does the front cover have to be removed? Are the cam sprocket keyed? Any other help would be helpful. I have factory manuals, I know about the inserts and the cradle.

Thank You

Paul

You can lift the head out with the exhaust manifold still attached. Just disconnect it like you said, take all the head bolts out and remove the head. It will have to slid in towards the center of the engine a little for clearance but it will come out. Don't forget the three small bolts in the head inside the chain case area.

Do you have the front cover off so that the timing chains can be removed/installed or are you trying to hold the chains. If you are trying to hold the chains it is almost impossible to get the head off over the chain holder with the engine in the car and the exhuast manifolds on.

mechanix
04-13-05, 04:49 PM
The heads can be removed without unbolting the exhaust manifolds, but I wouldn't want to. It would be very awkward to manipulate the heads during reassembly with the manifolds attached. Not only that, but most of us are finding that the heads are slightly warped and need planing, and the manifolds have to come off for that process.

The front timing chain cover must be removed in order to remove the shoes and tensioners for the chains. The cam sprockets are not keyed, but they do have locating dowels that time them to the camshafts. Consult your manual to see which timing marks to go by, as there are two marks on each sprocket for use on either intake or exhaust camshafts. Be sure to timesert ALL TWENTY HOLES while the heads are off, and I think it is a good idea to remove a couple of exhaust valves from the heads and check them for metal transferring from the valve seats. In my case, my engine got so hot that all my exhaust valves were burned and a complete valve job had to be done. Have fun! *lol*