: 110V to 12V please...

cmgrafmc
04-13-05, 02:39 AM
As most of you know, I'm going to try to retrofit some new opera lamps. The biggest challenge I think I face is bypassing the inverter in the trunk which takes 12V and feeds out 110V to the original lamps. I have the shop manual for the '89 and the wiring diagram shows me what I need to know but I'm not quite bright enough to understand it. =P I came across the following while searching the forum:

"If your car is like my 88 Fleetwood d' Eleg, try this. At the converter look for these wire colors. Brown - 12Volts (interior light ckt.), Dark Blue and White are the 110VAC, and Black is ground. Connect the Brown to both Dark Blue wires for +12Volts and connect both White wires to body ground or the black wire. Use these same colors at the connector to hook up to you 12 lamps.

>>> Please note the 12V Brown wire goes to the right hand opera light first so you will need to connect the Brown and Dark Blues together here to get 12V to both lamps. You can use a test light or voltmeter to verify this on your car. This is the method that I will use when I find 12V replacements."

Now, I'm okay right up until, "Use these same colors at the connector to hook up your 12 [volt] lamps." What connector? I assume he meant to use the blue wires for the positive and white for the negative, at the lamps themselves. If someone else has their manual and knows what I need to do to bypass the inverter, most simply, I'd LOVE to know about it. I'd scan and post the diagram but my scanner isn't connected right now. Anyone have thoughts, ideas, experience? Thanks in advance.:worship:

cmgrafmc
04-14-05, 08:28 PM
Nothing? 36 people have checked this post and not one comment? Not even a, "God be with you in your adventures." LOL Conserving bandwidth, I bet, to compensate for all the pointless comments I make. =P Like this one! =D

ANYwho, um, I think the lamps will arrive tomorrow and if I've got the time I'll crawl in the trunk and start hacking away at wires until either: A) I remember that I forgot to turn off the car and disconnect the battery only a second before a jolt of electricity passes through me at the speed of light; or B) I connect the 110 to my amp and it bursts through the quarter panel in a ball of flames, igniting the nearby shrubs and burning down the house.

And all of this because I can't read a schematic. Would it help anyone here if I scanned it and tried to post it tonight? Think of it: all the glory AND the satisfaction of knowing that you saved my house from flaming doom...

DopeStar 156
04-14-05, 09:50 PM
What's the page in the manual? I'll look at it too.

theGman
04-14-05, 09:58 PM
Hope it works out.

ocjmakaveli
04-14-05, 10:08 PM
Nothing? 36 people have checked this post and not one comment? Not even a, "God be with you in your adventures." LOL Conserving bandwidth, I bet, to compensate for all the pointless comments I make. =P Like this one! =D

ANYwho, um, I think the lamps will arrive tomorrow and if I've got the time I'll crawl in the trunk and start hacking away at wires until either: A) I remember that I forgot to turn off the car and disconnect the battery only a second before a jolt of electricity passes through me at the speed of light; or B) I connect the 110 to my amp and it bursts through the quarter panel in a ball of flames, igniting the nearby shrubs and burning down the house.

And all of this because I can't read a schematic. Would it help anyone here if I scanned it and tried to post it tonight? Think of it: all the glory AND the satisfaction of knowing that you saved my house from flaming doom...

yeah scan it and ill check this post before i go to sleep and tell you what you need to know im not familiar with your car but let me see the schematic.

The Ape Man
04-14-05, 10:11 PM
You can always use the old handheld multimeter to verify what you are trying to do. I don't think that the 110 Volt invertor has too much available current. If you make a mistake it will probably just emit a tiny wisp of smoke. No fun at all. You know what's fun to hook up wrong? Big electrolytic Capacitors. :lildevil:

DaveSmed
04-14-05, 10:23 PM
Scan it, i'll be glad to take a look.

brougham
04-14-05, 10:45 PM
It looks like what you sid in your 1st post is what you have to do. For that last part I think it just means that after you take out the old opera lights you just have to connect those wires to your new ones. The only thing is that Fleetwood isn't like yours so maybe the colours are different.

cmgrafmc
04-15-05, 01:55 AM
Here's the diagram. I understand most of it but I would like to be sure. It's pretty small due to the limits of this forum so it's hard to read. The two boxes toward the bottom are the lights and the very bottom box is the inverter. Thanks to everyone for any help you provide. I can e-mail anyone who needs a larger pic. Thanks again!

Big_Blue
04-15-05, 03:16 AM
I would think the hardest part to this job would of been getting to fit inbetween the chrome trim on the outside then the wiring. Why dont you go buy relays and run it from the parking lights as the source when they should be on or not? the same time your spending on trying to figure it out you could of ran new wires under the carpet from the side posts to the front of vehicle.

Job Complete and it wont screw up anything unless you did it wrong.

P.s. just make sure you put a inline fuse from your power sources to save the relay and devices.

cmgrafmc
04-15-05, 03:30 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'd thought of that but I'm not very skilled or experienced. I could run wires, no problem, but I'd have no idea to where I should connect them and all of that. I'm sure I could get my local stereo installer to do that for me, though.

As for getting the lights to fit, it'll be tight...but I think they'll squeeze in there. If not, I may be able to use the LED and the diffusion strip anyway by cutting the strip to size and using the old housing. I haven't gotten the lights yet so I'm not sure exactly what I'll be dealing with. Maybe this afternoon. I might just have some new wires run after all but I'll take the pillar moldings and stuff of myself, to save time and money. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Pianoman72
04-15-05, 11:33 AM
Here is what thay guy is saying. Now I can't tell you if he's right or not but it makes sense.

Pianoman72
04-15-05, 11:36 AM
Oh just pretend that 'x' over the inverter is RED because it goes with step one; you do not want it and you can remove it from your car as far as I can tell.

The other orange lines represent connections.

turbojimmy
04-15-05, 11:43 AM
I'm just amazed that they went through the trouble of putting a power inverter in for the opera lights. They couldn't find suitable 12V lights? Or is there some other reason?

Jim

cmgrafmc
04-15-05, 01:40 PM
I don't know. EL lights really aren't all that common in automobiles so maybe they only come in 110V flavors. Then again, maybe EL requires that much juice to make the little paper stuff glow. I think it's radioactive, too...I mean, the stuff has a half-life! LOL

Anyway, thanks, Pianoman. I think I got it now; it's pretty much what I was thinking but it's great to have a second opinion. I think I'll go this route instead of installing new wires from the headlight switch. I'd have to disable the inverter in the trunk anyway or else I'd have 110V lines flopping around in there making a mess of things.

Hopefully the lights will arrive any time now so I can get started this afternoon. Wish me luck!

kmhebert
04-15-05, 02:13 PM
Anyway, thanks, Pianoman. I think I got it now; it's pretty much what I was thinking but it's great to have a second opinion. I think I'll go this route instead of installing new wires from the headlight switch. I'd have to disable the inverter in the trunk anyway or else I'd have 110V lines flopping around in there making a mess of things.!

So you're going to bypass the original opera lights wiring entirely, and run new wire to the parking lights? Can you take a few photos of this process for the ignorant (like me)?

Hopefully the lights will arrive any time now so I can get started this afternoon. Wish me luck!

Good luck cmgrafmc, it sounds like this will be well worth doing and very cool when it's done.

http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Wheels
04-15-05, 02:58 PM

And all of this because I can't read a schematic. Would it help anyone here if I scanned it and tried to post it tonight? Think of it: all the glory AND the satisfaction of knowing that you saved my house from flaming doom... ......win the darwin award for being the only person to ever put their own dead body in the truck of a cadillac.:)

DopeStar 156
04-15-05, 03:30 PM
Post deleted! MODERATOR AWAY!!! *Flies away*

Pianoman72
04-15-05, 04:40 PM
No he's not touching parking light wiring and he is using the existing wiring to the opera lamps. It is just a matter of splicing some of the original wires together since the inverter is going to be out of the loop.

The car already runs on DC, direct current, so we are just making a more complicated circuit with an AC inverter more simple.

[QUOTE=kmhebert]So you're going to bypass the original opera lights wiring entirely, and run new wire to the parking lights? Can you take a few photos of this process for the ignorant (like me)?

cmgrafmc
04-15-05, 05:35 PM
If this doesn't cheese all...I call my apartment's office while I'm at lunch and yes, they got my UPS package! Hooray! So I get back here only to discover that they've closed the office until 3:45 PM today! Any time I receive a package, they close up shop and disappear for a while...I'm getting suspicious! In the meantime, I'm studying the diagrams again and running it over in my head.

I crawl in the trunk and lop off basically every wire going to/coming out of the inverter, including the black ground wire. I take the brown wire feeding into the thing and hook it up to both of the dark blue ones coming OUT of it. The white ones, I connect to the ground wire. Sounds easy enough.

Now, at the lights, I THINK there is a plug, but I'm not sure. Dopestar could tell me. I should have asked him to post pix of what it looks like in there. So at this juncture (wouldn't be prudent!) I am to connect the dark blue wires TO THE BROWN ONES? This is where I'm confused. If I connect the blue ones, now running at 12V, to the brown one (which is 12V to begin with), am I not merely creating a loop? The brown wire in the trunk was already connected to the blue ones there, so what is accomplished by connected them again at the light? And what wires do I connect to the new lights?

I ASSUME the blue ones coming from the trunk would go to the lights, the white wires are the ground. What's this brown/white wire? LOL I'm in over my head, despite Pianoman's rather clear instructions. Getting inside and actually SEEING everything will help, but I can't afford to make a mistake. I'll take my camera with me.

Am I right in believing that the brown wire from the fuse panel feeds the passenger side light first? Then it goes somewhere and over to the driver's side light? Why does it do that? Why not go directly to the inverter in the trunk? What is the brown wire doing in the top of the EL light in the diagram? So many questions...I'm not expecting an answer because I'm not sure I'd understand it. LOL Anyway, from there it snakes back into the trunk. If this is true, why not just nab power from the brown wire as it passes by the lights to begin with? Why bother with the blue ones at all? Is that brown wire pictured at the top of the EL light actually doing anything or is it just passing through?

My granddad's a retired phone company tech and lives next door to my dad's, where I'll be doing the work. I'll ask him to see what he thinks. You guys have been invaluable!! I think I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around some of these things mostly because I'm not sure of what everything looks like in there. Once I crack it open it might be easy.

Rest assured I'll be back to post any progress. My other thread will contain photos of the process if I'm successful. Otherwise I may need to post some pix here if I have questions. Thanks again, you're making this much easier, believe it or not.

Pianoman72
04-15-05, 06:12 PM
You got to keep in mind you're wiring them in parallel. That's why it seems like you've got extra wires. If you wanted to wire them in series you would just use the brown wire and the black wire I guess.

mitchdublin
04-15-05, 07:11 PM
Even if no-one else does, I enjoy your light-hearted posts.

kmhebert
04-15-05, 10:15 PM
I ASSUME the blue ones coming from the trunk would go to the lights, the white wires are the ground. What's this brown/white wire? LOL I'm in over my head, despite Pianoman's rather clear instructions. Getting inside and actually SEEING everything will help, but I can't afford to make a mistake. I'll take my camera with me.

Please do, I would love to see how this is done step-by-step. I always wanted to be able to work on my own car yet I freely admit my ignorance in doing so. Most of you all are way above my skill level (take for example turbojimmy) but I appreciate your level of expertise. I would love to be able to do some of my own repairs, it would give me a serious sense of fulfillment. The opera lights would be so cool if they worked and I am rooting for you all the way, and I hope I can follow in your footsteps!

cmgrafmc
04-16-05, 12:03 AM
Success! I just got home so I'm going to eat dinner and realx for a while. I'll post instructions and pix to the other thread later, if I'm still awake:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36743

Thanks everyone!