: Can DIC messages be cleared for good??

Rick94STS
04-12-05, 11:06 PM
I have two messages appearing on the DIC,

"service trans" and "service ride control" every time I start my car!

How can I get rid of them for good????? Tired of hitting the reset button!!:devil:

thanks

davesdeville
04-13-05, 12:31 AM
You need to fix the problem or the codes will keep coming up.

Rick94STS
04-13-05, 07:54 AM

I did have the trans serviced by my local mechanic but the message still appears, and as far as I can tell there's nothing wrong with my suspension because the car rides great.

There must be a way to clear them totally! I know the Caddy dealer could do it but there a rip off.

danbuc
04-13-05, 10:06 AM
If you go into the diagnostic mode, you can clear the codes, which might shut off both messages. As soon as the codes are thrown again though, both messages will appear again. The car will only throw out codes, if something is wrong. Have you check the sensors for your front struts and rear shocks? Perhaps one or two of them are damaged, or maybe unplugged.

Rick94STS
04-13-05, 01:08 PM
If you go into the diagnostic mode, you can clear the codes, which might shut off both messages. As soon as the codes are thrown again though, both messages will appear again. The car will only throw out codes, if something is wrong. Have you check the sensors for your front struts and rear shocks? Perhaps one or two of them are damaged, or maybe unplugged.

Thanks, I will check them out. Are they located directly on the struts?

danbuc
04-13-05, 10:29 PM
The sensors are attached to the inside of the wheel wells, directly behing to strut or shock. They have a small metal rod, linking the swing arm on the sensor, to the lower control arm. If this rod isn't attached, it can cause a code to be thrown. Sometimes these sensors can fail too.

Rick94STS
04-14-05, 08:52 AM
The sensors are attached to the inside of the wheel wells, directly behing to strut or shock. They have a small metal rod, linking the swing arm on the sensor, to the lower control arm. If this rod isn't attached, it can cause a code to be thrown. Sometimes these sensors can fail too.

Thanks! I will take a look at them....... Is there a way to test the sensors?

danbuc
04-14-05, 11:24 AM
I guess If you got a Digital Volt Meter, and back probed the leads on it, you could read the output voltage, depending on where the swing arm is positioned. I have no idea what the specific values should be for these sensors, or if they are the same for each year though. If it's anythign like a throttle position switch, the voltage may range from .5 to about 4.95 or so. This is just a guess though. If you could get a hold of a factory service manual, it would tell you the correct values for the sensor, so that you could compare your readings, and determine what may be wrong.

Eldoluvr
04-20-05, 03:11 PM
I have the service trans light on too. The service engine soon light comes on, on the dash and in the driver info. center it reads service trans. I just took it to the dealer and they charged me $100 to tell me that there was nothing wrong and they cleared the code. Soon as I drove it off the lot the light came back on. What a waste of $100 I feel cheated. The trans seems fine. no hard shifting.

danbuc
04-21-05, 12:16 AM
How many miles do you have on the car, and what does the tranny fluid life monitor say? If it is not at 100%, it might indicate a problem, that might not be very obvious to you or the dealer. Have you checked the tranny fluid, to see what condition it's in? If it is foamy (like a starwberry milkshake-overheated), or slimy to the touch (possible contamination from water or coolant), that might be a tell tale sign of what could be wrong. I'm not entirely sure if the fluid life monitor would set the light, if it determined that the fluid was bad, but I think it would definitely reduce the life indicatd on the DIC. To check the tranny fluid life monitor, scroll through the DIC on the dash, it should be next to the oil life monitor. If it says anything less than 100%, I would take a look at the fluid, and bring it to reputable tranny shop. It sounds like the dealer just scanned for codes, and cleared out whatever they found. This would clear the codes that threw the light, but as soon as the tranny detects the problem (whatever it might be), it throws the light on again. Sometimes certai electrical (solenoid packs,...ect), or mechanical (clutch packs, accumulators,..ect), can start to fail and set codes, without being noticable while driving. As I said before, I would check the fluid (there's a little cap similar to the power steering cap on top where you can check the condition), and find a good tranny shop to look into it.

STS 310
04-21-05, 12:23 AM

Another classic post.

Sorry, if he doesnt knwo that codes will show continually.

STS 310
04-21-05, 12:25 AM
Please add some hopeful post to a brother in need.

STS 310
04-21-05, 12:27 AM
Danbuc whats up partner!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few and Im out of control..............

danbuc
04-21-05, 12:31 AM
Uhhh...Say what now? You lost me on that one...hehe.