: Heat sink collar on oil filter..

BLUCAT98
04-12-05, 10:08 PM
Hi all,

I just wanted to know anyone's oppinion on the use of a heat sink collar right on the oil filter. Is that a rip off? Check it out!!!

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product?storeId=10101&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2000859&TID=8014524&productId=2000859&langId=-1&catalogId=10101

I was researching on an external oil cooler installation when I came accross this oil filter heatsink idea! Let me know if this is a :drinker idea!!

omermurat
04-12-05, 10:35 PM
It's actually not a bad idea, but there is not enough air circulation around the oil filter, therefore it can not be as efficient as an actual cooler.

Here is another idea;

I've been getting the biggest possible oil filter that fits in order to reduce the filtering resistance, keep more oil in the system and add more cooling surface.

I simply select the proper filter for my Catera from the list (I prefer Fram X2) and check for the code by the threated side (I believe it's 2E) and look for that code on the bigger filters. I do not remember the code but the bigger one is at least 50% bigger and fits just fine.

At least it makes me feel good :o)

Vesicant
04-12-05, 10:46 PM
Lol... that slip on thing is not worth it. Another gimmick.

If you really want results get a stand alone oil cooler/radiator. Although you do already have an oilcooler built into the engine...

2 is better than one right?

BLUCAT98
04-13-05, 06:57 PM
Thanks Jeff, That idea is scratched!!