: Northstar Replacement

seville04
09-22-13, 05:17 PM
I have a 2004 Seville with engine problems. It looks like I will be replacing the engine. I am in Orlando Fl and looking for a place that rebuilds the Northstars. I found a place in Ohio, Cadillac Doctor, that will rebuild the engine but would like to find somewhere closer if possible. If anyone else has had this done please list where and cost.

Submariner409
09-22-13, 05:46 PM
"Cost" can vary by several thousand dollars - depending on dealership, shop, experience, labor rate and method of repair - assuming that you have head gasket problems........... and, if you add in resealing the lower cylinder block halfcase and oil pan, then that drives labor (and parts) way up.

Maybe there would be some info in the sticky threads at the top of the Forum - and you might try a call to Chris in Parts at Rippy Cadillac (Wilmington, NC) over there >>>> tomorrow morning. There was also a CF member, Mike Lawson, in Lexington KY that traveled to you (mileage costs).

There are several very active Seville-driving members in Florida - but I can only recommend looking at posts and locations in various repair threads for info hints.

the recluse
09-22-13, 06:52 PM
There are several very active Seville-driving members in Florida - but I can only recommend looking at posts and locations in various repair threads for info hints.

:histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric:

:shhh:

Ranger
09-22-13, 08:30 PM
Are you replacing or rebuilding and why?

97EldoCoupe
09-22-13, 11:12 PM
Seville04, send me a private message. I'm coming your way in about two weeks. Vacation time is upon me.

seville04
10-25-13, 02:30 PM
Sorry Ranger, haven't been on the forum in a few weeks. The diagnosis was broken timing chain. If I'm going to fix that I might as well have the head gaskets replaced, I've got 150K on it now and if I'm going to put money into fixing it, I would hate to have the gaskets go a month or year down the road. My decision now is whether or not to put 4-5 grand into the car or give up on it and just find something else. It would help if I could find someone in the Orlando area that would rebuild the motor here, shipping the car up to Ohio or Illinois runs about $600-$700 and then I would have to fly up there and drive it back home.

stoveguyy
10-27-13, 08:45 AM
Broken TC almost guarantees valve damage. But, I have read little on the block thread repair issue on an 04 motor. Do the courser block threads still need to be tapped when bolts are removed? I am not sure if your motor is worth rebuilding, moneywise. A bunch of used 04 motors online for 650 with 100k miles in your area. Maybe a swap out by a garage is a possible route? Unless u want to dump $4k in a 10yr old car?

JoeTahoe
10-27-13, 10:47 AM
the 04s that I have done the threads have looked good, but the head gaskets looked horrible. I still studded all just for peace of mind.