: Problem With Crankposition Sensor A

LEODEE
04-12-05, 03:52 PM
Here It Is I Have A 97 Catera That Is Idleling Ruff And Stalling Whike At A Light. I Took It To The Local Gm. They Say That I Have A Bad Fuel Pump They Did Not Gave Me A Code # So I Said Ok Got The Part And Change It My Self. Now I Still Have The Same Problem It Was Not The Fuel Pump $200.00 Down The Gas Tank. So I Search For A Local Auto Parts That Will Check For Codes I Found One Discount Auto Parts, They Did The Test And Bingo It Show That I Have A (p0336-crankshaft Position Sensor-a) .goin Bad My Q? Is Where Is This Sensor Locatead
And Is It Easy To Change .

I Purchase The Service Manual
Its On It Way Got It For $36. All 3vol.
I Know That Will Help As Well As Much As You Guy's

BLUCAT98
04-12-05, 09:54 PM
This should be one inch to the right of your oil filter bolted into the engine block. I have to replace mine too. Its about $70 at rockauto.com. My CKP is leaking oil right thru its ring. I believe you'll have to let the oil out first. Might as well change the oil and filter. It also looks like it's just taking it out and putting a new one. The wire harnes goes from the the side of the block(sensor) and up towards the back of the engine. I still have to look into it to find out what size/kind of bolt it has.

-Jorge.

ZigZag
04-13-05, 02:12 AM
I have a problem with my 98 Catera. It just dies after up to temp. after a while it will start again, but not for at least 20 min. Is that the troubles you had with your CPS?
ZigZag

LEODEE
04-14-05, 05:20 AM
Blucat
I Check That Part From Rockauto And It Is Way Cheaper Than What I Was Goin To Pay $234.00 Good Looking Out I Saw The (cps) It Will Get Replace Untill Then I Will Clean It To See If It Work Better Scince It's Starting To Go Bad It Should Hold On Till I Get The New Part. Thanks For The Info.

LEODEE
04-14-05, 05:27 AM
Zigzag
At This Time I Don't Have That Problem Cause It Just Started Happening
My Car Runs Good At Normal Speed But Once I Get To A Ligth Or @ Idle The It Feel Like Is Goin To Turn Off But It Doesnot. So If You Have Not Change Your,see If You Could Clean It Good Untill You Have The Chance To Change It.

BLUCAT98
04-14-05, 08:56 PM
Vaya Boricua.., no problem!!! Trujillo Alto in the house!

Hey, you just gave me an excellent idea. I never thought of just cleaning the damn thing :thumbsup: !!!!!!!! I'll do that till I can get it fixed! I can't find the connector for this sensor. It's somewhere tight behind the engine!!

I'm not sure of one thing though. The Crankshat Pos Sensor may require an additional 'O' ring in the block, but.. im not sure about that yet!

Hopefully someone :angel: in the forum may clarify these things for us!

omermurat
04-14-05, 09:30 PM
Hold on guys, I found the procedure. I need to scan it first.

omermurat
04-14-05, 09:41 PM
Crankshaft Position Sensor replacement Precedure is ready. Where do you want me to send it?

BLUCAT98
04-14-05, 11:16 PM
Omer,

You can send it to "blucat1998 at yahoo.com" Replace the "at" with the appropriate symbol.
thanks again.

omermurat
04-14-05, 11:53 PM
It's been sent.

BLUCAT98
04-15-05, 12:21 AM
Yep!!

That's what I have on the manual! It says that the best way to get at it is by removing the wipers, the molding they are mounted on and the wiper motor!! Huh!! didn't really want to do that..., but I guess that's what I'll have to do..!!

Where's an EASY button when you need one.:bonkers: .

Thanks for your quick response Omer.;) !!!!

-J.

LEODEE
04-15-05, 03:02 AM
HEY?
OMERMURAT CAN YOU PLEASE SEND ME THAT INFO. TO REMOVE THE (CSPS)
IT WILL BE VERY HELPFULL.
TO LEODEE01@YAHOO.COM OR LEODEE01@AOL.COM .THANK'S
BY THE WAY I WILL BE WORKING WITH THE CAR 2DAY ONCE I GET THE PART OUT AND CLEAN + RE INSTALL I WILL HAVE THE CAR RE-SCANED TO SEE IF THAT CODE IT'S STILL SHOWING UP I KEEP
U GUY'S INFORM.

LEODEE
04-15-05, 03:16 AM
Wepa!!!!!!!! Blucat - Yo De Los Brujo De Guayama Aqui En La Florida De Sunshine State.

Hey Bro' If That Seal Needs To Be Replace The Local Auto Parts Sell
'o' Ring That Will Work For Our Cars Just Make Sure You Take The Old One Or The Part Wiht You And Get The Wrigth One To Avoid Oil Leaks. Then Once You Change It Take It And Get It Re-scaned To See If You Still Get That Code, If You Do Then You Know You Have To Change It Soon. Let Me Know How It Goes.

omermurat
04-15-05, 08:18 AM
Leodee,

The file has been sent.

LEODEE
04-15-05, 07:54 PM
omermurat, you the best.......... thanks bro'
oh! by the way the new part is order
i clean the old sensor it felt a little better but
the code is still showing up so for sure it has
to be change hey! once again thank's and good looking out

BLUCAT98
04-15-05, 08:24 PM
Bien.., Bien.. Pa' la playa ya mismo!!

Hey, I found the Crankshaft Pos Sensor connector!! :bouncy: Eureka!!!

Just follow the procedures to remove the wiper vents. This is the plastic right below the wipers. The plastic has a "T30" type screw, if im not mistaken, on the lower left side of it (driver side).

Once that's done remove the wiper arms with a 1/2" socket, put some WD-40 on the bolts, wait a little, then rock the arms back and forth. They'll come right off.

Once that's done there is a rubber seam that's kinda attached to the windshield. The plastic vent cover's edge hides right under that rubber. Uncover the rubber and you'll see "flat/phillip" head type screws, remove those.

The plastic comes right out. It is segmented so.., only a little more than half of it will separate from the windshield. Once removed you'll find much more space to look and get behind the engine.

The sensor is connected to one of the corrugated plastic ducting covered wires that come out of the black plastic rail that sits right above the spark plugs. Look at the end of this black plastic rail going towards the back of the engine. There should be like 4 corrugated plastic ducting comming out of it at the back. The "CPS" wire should be one of the lower small diameter ones.

Once you start wiggling stuff arround you'll see the conenctor. Well, in my case I did see it right away. If for some reason you still have the original mounting fixture there it may still be attached to something back there and you wont immediately see it! Also, there should be a big connector with visible wires in front of the "CPS" connecting wires, there by hiding it too.

In any event the CPS connector should be some where right above the ignition coil. It makes and "S" on it way down to the sensor and it's caught by the oil cooler lines.

To remove mines I'll cut the connector off and just pull the wire down from the sensor side. To put it back just re-route it some where safe, away from the hot manifold, on the left side of the engine only.

Hope you'll see it right away.
-Jorge.

BLUCAT98
04-18-05, 07:13 PM
** RE-POST **

Actually, the best way of getting rid of the bad sensor is to cut off the sensor side of the cable then pull the wire from the connector side. The oil cooler lines are closer to the bottom and pinch the "crankshaft sensor" wire closer to the bottom. Before cutting the sensor side off, first wiggle the cable with some force (from under the engine) so that it loosens up a bit from the its heat protecting metal sheath that it comes with. Also try to straigthen out the cable as much as posible so as to minimise friction at the kink points.

Once that's done, just cut the sensor side off and pull the wire from above the engine with some force and it'll come off.

I re-routed the my sensor on the left side of the engine only. Make sure you use a path that will definitelly keep the wire away from the hot motor manifold.

LEODEE
04-19-05, 05:39 PM
Hey Blu....thank's For The Info. Is Verry Handdy. Im Still
Waiting For My Part To Come In It Should Be Here On Thursday
So For Sure I Will Be Taking It Out On The Weekend If Anything
I Let You Guy's Know Whats The Deal.

Chacho!!!!!!!!!! Aqui En La Florida Con Los Tiburones Yo No Voy Pa'la Playa Hay Que Estar Loco Mejol Me Quedo En El Paque Jugando Pelota .