: Caddy in Maryland?

DopeStar 156
04-12-05, 02:01 PM
I'm taking a roadtrip to Towson Maryland in a couple of weeks. It's 300 miles across three highways through PA. I was planning to make the trip in my V6 99 Malibu but the thought of taking my Fleetwood has crossed my mind. I'm very obsessed with my Caddy and I baby it a lot. Would it be safe to take a 16 year old Cadillac with 124k on the stock 5.0 300 miles?

BluEyes
04-12-05, 03:49 PM
Is it well maintained? I'd trust my '70 SDV on that drive and it's at 140K.
Will you be going through rushour traffic though? I wouldn't like driving a 19' car in that kinda traffic...

89 D'elegance
04-12-05, 04:35 PM
If you want to be comfortable take the caddy. Limo companies put alot of miles on these cars you shouldnt have any problems.

DopeStar 156
04-12-05, 05:01 PM
Well like I said I baby it. Oil change every 3,000 miles usually a little before. Premium gasoline, and if I do burn off some oil, I put in that Valvoline 75,000 mile stuff. I'll prolly leave at 2 or 3 PM and it's three hours. I'll most likely take a couple of rest stops for the Caddy's sake not mine. I had some new carb parts put in recently and the car runs fine. I just worry about something going wrong or excessive driving may put the car on a downhill progression with frequent trips to the shop.

brougham
04-13-05, 12:21 AM
Only 3 hours?? Just throw your stuff in the car and go. I wouldn't even bother stopping unless you have to.

DopeStar 156
04-13-05, 01:01 AM
Haha you guys are pretty confident! What's some long drives you've done with your Broughams?

Broughamadrosis
04-13-05, 08:05 AM
I drive from VT to PA a couple of times a year, about an 8 hour trip each way with one pit stop in the middle (for me, not the car). I always make it point to give it a good look-over before the trip. I'll be going again at the end of this month - I wouldn't want to do that trip in a little car...

Last fall I bought the 90 Brougham in Oklahoma and drove it home to VT - that was probably a little leap of faith with an unknown car, but if it wasn't in good shape, I wouldn't have bought it. 22 mpg @ 70-75 with the cruise on.

Drive your Caddy dude! They're made to cruise.

DopeStar 156
04-13-05, 10:04 AM
Yeah ok, I'll give it a good look the morning before and take some coolant and oil with me just incase.

CoupeDevilleRob
04-13-05, 12:06 PM
What are you worrying about? You'll be fine. Last summer I drove my Deville, with its 107,000 mile HT4100, to Limerock, about 250 miles round trip, and it ran like a champ the whole way. That thing cruised at 75 on the interstate like it was nothing. I was getting about 24mpg until I got stuck in traffic for an hour, that blew it.

Go for it, you'll be fine.

DopeStar 156
04-13-05, 01:08 PM
Killer. The Caddy is indeed the car selected for the journey.

davesdeville
04-13-05, 05:10 PM
Good choice. I took my 75 Deville on a 400 mile trip one weekend. It cost about $60 in gas but I wasn't paying (and I sure as hell wasn't spending 5 hours cramped in the Omni I had at the time.) It ran great and somehow managed about 10mpg with the speedo pegged at 100 (the speed the left lane was going.)

DopeStar 156
04-13-05, 10:37 PM
Mmmmmm I can't wait for that trip. That car is simply heavenly.

CharBroiled
04-13-05, 10:57 PM
If the Caddys well maintained, do it. I yearly drive from Mass to Virginia and have done that 5 times in a 70 Dodge Dart with 200,000+ miles on it. Just give it a good going over. And a long highway cruise is good for it. Just take a look at broken down cars on the highway, youll see newer cars just as often as older cars.

Ralph
04-13-05, 10:58 PM
Only 3 hours?? Just throw your stuff in the car and go. I wouldn't even bother stopping unless you have to.

I agree, and I would just check all the hoses before I go. Check the spare for air too!

DopeStar 156
04-14-05, 12:33 PM
The hoses are all new (Almost a year old) with the exeption of the power steering hose which I have no idea how old it is. The only thing I'm sure the car will do is chug some oil so I intend to pick up a few quarts and keep 'em in the trunk. Also some coolant incase. The spare is full last time I was in the trunk which was a week ago. I do wish I had a full size though that little thing doesn't fill me with confidence, but I really don't wanna shoot my gas mileage too bad. Like I said, oil changes 3,000 miles or less, I check under the hood pretty regularly, and I haven't had any problems with it so, I guess it's ok.

CoupeDevilleRob
04-14-05, 04:41 PM
Good choice. I took my 75 Deville on a 400 mile trip one weekend. It cost about $60 in gas but I wasn't paying (and I sure as hell wasn't spending 5 hours cramped in the Omni I had at the time.) It ran great and somehow managed about 10mpg with the speedo pegged at 100 (the speed the left lane was going.)

Years ago we took my dad's 75 Coupe Deville to Lake George, about a 350 mile trip. He filled it before leaving the city, did a steady 80mph the whole way there and it was practically empty when we got to Lake George. Some people in OPEC made a little money on that vacation.

DopeStar 156
04-14-05, 05:17 PM
LOL! The thing with these cars isn't fuel economy, but fuel quantity. 25 gallons takes a while to drain, even with a 500 cid V8.