: Rear Ends 101

blownchevy
04-12-05, 11:45 AM
I did not want to jack Stiff1's thread so I thought this would be a good place to continue talking about a good topic:

CVP33 -

The Maggie actually makes the rear diff stronger - just ask BlownChevy

I feel your pain, I do. I'm all in on this car and can't imagine how I could get the diff replaced now if it failed (well, I COULD take the maggie off...but, no, too much hassle).

I would have to guess that stronger aftermarket halfshafts will be available at some point - and the fact that yours failed must be a mfg. defect of some sort...sorry for your loss

I feel that the rear end would last forever, depending on driving habits......top end freeway blasts (my favorite in the blown V) would never take out a rear. If you are launching at 3K and scratching the gears between shifts, yes there will be a problem.

wildwhl has hit the nail on the head with the comment about half shafts; there will be some soon. There is no way the aftermarket is going to sit back and watch the problem continue with the potential for money to be made.

CVP33, I am sorry you changed your mind.....I do understand though. What everyone needs to remember is aftermarket parts are just that, aftermarket. There is the potential for problems with ANY of the aftermarket parts you install on your car. From wheels to exhaust, they could all fail at any time. With that in mind, Mod away...enjoy your car, donít let the fear of part failure keep you from modding your car...If parts fail, replace them.... money aside that for me is the fun part, making it stronger. I do not want to tell you guys how much I spend on my last truck making it bullet proof!

wildwhl
04-12-05, 06:08 PM
:werd:

V-seriesTech
04-12-05, 06:12 PM
amen.

BliTzer
04-12-05, 08:44 PM
I have had my maggie for, hmm, 2 going on 3 months now. I have done many 1-2 hard shifts. But i have not "Popped" the clutch, at red lights or standing still in anyway.

I did a complete driveline inspection, on a lift last weekend and found nothing wrong with my car, from underneath. no leaks, no cracks, all i found was dirt & dust from the arizona desert under my car.

Now, i hope i am one of the lucky ones and all goes well. I am not worried about my dealer causes problems because they are the ones that pushed the maggie on me before i even knew it was available for it. The car runs so damn good on it i can not even explain in words, yes it took me awhile to get use to it, new noises in your car, we all know what that is like, us owners are the first to hear it while riders in our passenger seats say "i dont hear anything" so yeah, it will take a good 2 weeks in my opinion to getting use to it.

The only thing that i have negative remarks about, and it is not maggies fault at all, is damn coil pack covers. Either you have to make them yourself, from your old cover, or buy the vette ones.. I have looked so many i can not tell you the number, but i hate them due to not having a lip in the front, because you can still see under them, ours had that 1 inch (approx) around the front which kept that from happening.

Inclosing,
I just want to say thanx to MagnaCharger for keeping parts available and so far i am very happy with the supercharger on my 2005 V. it undescribeable until you drive a V supercharged.. if i could, i would say "rocketship".. ;)

later,
blitzer....

wildwhl
04-12-05, 09:07 PM
Amen, Brother "whiner"!!!! :D

V-seriesTech
04-13-05, 11:13 AM
The only thing that i have negative remarks about, and it is not maggies fault at all, is damn coil pack covers. Either you have to make them yourself, from your old cover, or buy the vette ones.. I have looked so many i can not tell you the number, but i hate them due to not having a lip in the front, because you can still see under them, ours had that 1 inch (approx) around the front which kept that from happening.

Inclosing,
I just want to say thanx to MagnaCharger for keeping parts available and so far i am very happy with the supercharger on my 2005 V. it undescribeable until you drive a V supercharged.. if i could, i would say "rocketship".. ;)

later,
blitzer....[/QUOTE]

Glad your having a blast man, problem free. On the note of your coil packs,...I never liked how they looked on top of any of the LS motors. So I say, remove em....and get a relocation kit, or make your own. Then get yourselves a nice set of valve covers,...and be done with it.

Now if you went to someone, like Katech for example, it might not be THAT cheap. I'm trying to make a set of relocation brackets but, time escapes me dailly, and I am unable to work on personal things. I however have found time to take a set of stock valve covers, shave off the bungs for the coil packs, and polish they hell out of them. Now they are still unfinished, but nice and smooth. Looks machined. Considering haveing them jet coated, or ceramic coated.

Honestly guys, some of you seem pretty crafty where you might be able to mock something up over the weekend. If not, simply buy a coilpack relocation kit, some valve covers, longer plug wires, and make that motor look like a MOTOR dammit. Screw the covers. Most of them look cheesy, and look like an afterthought. In my opinion anyways.

V-seriesTech
04-13-05, 11:15 AM
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog/?action=shop&pcid=273&sid=185#P2259

blownchevy
04-13-05, 07:39 PM
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog/?action=shop&pcid=273&sid=185#P2259

That is a nice kit. I have used it before.

:)