: Onstar

ahahnu
04-12-05, 10:01 AM
I wrote an e-mail to onstar to see what theyhad to say about up grading the cars system to digital to get the hands free calling and they responded with, there is no "upgrade to digital" check back after september 1!:rant2:

homer403
04-12-05, 10:15 AM
There is... but to get the OnStar digital hardware for free and installed for free, you have to sign up for three years at $549.00.

WhiteLightning
04-12-05, 11:58 AM
All-

I called using OnStar in the car. Seems that there is going to be a solution, but according to my VIN, they don't have a "kit" yet. And... yes, they told me to call back September 1.

I would love to know about (and yes, pay for) an upgrade kit _today_.
WL

RobzBLKV
04-12-05, 02:39 PM
I was told the same thing when I called - try again after September 1. I might ask the dealer to apply some pressure and see what happens.

djufo
04-12-05, 03:23 PM
There is... but to get the OnStar digital hardware for free and installed for free, you have to sign up for three years at $549.00.

in 3 years sounds cheap to me...:)

Rikmyster
04-30-05, 04:03 PM
I talked with onStar as well. Caddy Installed the ANALOG phone system (CHEAP) after the 2002 ruling that the Cell providers do not have to provide ANALOG service after 2006. The kits, or upgrade notice will not be availiable until after Sept 1st. This will enable you to share your VERIZON wireless account, which costs $10 per month for the extra phone plus any shared airtime.

As for now I have just opted to do the prepaid mins which have a 1 year expiration date with NO per month fees, besides the OnStar annual fees.

Since the Car INSTALLED phone uses a speaker phone system you always sound like a tunnel or speaker phone. I like using my ear/headset and the Verizon wireless handset for most of my uses. Don't want too many to have the car number because there is no way to know whonis calling before i answer it.

I think they are in hopes that they will not have to replace too many with the new ones

benjet
04-30-05, 04:32 PM
I talked with onStar as well. Caddy Installed the ANALOG phone system (CHEAP) after the 2002 ruling that the Cell providers do not have to provide ANALOG service after 2006.

That would be 2008 to be accurate.

Barak
04-30-05, 10:32 PM
I hate Onstar. The one time I had to use it, they failed miserably. I especially hate the fact that in order to have a car phone one must subscribe to their worthless service for $200 a year on top of the cost of Onstar's phone service.

GNSCOTT
04-30-05, 10:46 PM
I told Onstar I didn't want em and they knocked it down to $150. Still too much in my beek. $10 a month would be a lil more reasonable for something you may never use.