: Warming up your car, what do you think?

ahahnu
04-12-05, 08:45 AM
After reading the article on changing the oil, what do you think about warming up your car? I always do it untill the temp reached 100, then take it easy till it reached normal running temperature. Who has an opinion on this?

urbanski
04-12-05, 08:53 AM
i beat it the second i leave my driveway....and i never ever stop beating it :D
*my car that is.... :D
life is short and the warranty has 3 years left :p

homer403
04-12-05, 09:06 AM
The LS6 requires no warm up... however, on a very cold day, a warm up would benefit the tranny.

Barak
04-12-05, 11:15 AM
I'd have to disagree, every engine requires warm up. Any engine builder will tell you the worst thing you can do to an engine is rev it out when it is cold. Cold rodding is what I like to call it. As far as I know, the pistons in the LS engines are cam ground, meaning that they definitely require warm up.

blownchevy
04-12-05, 11:17 AM
Letting the engine get to operating temp is good practice.

Dreamin
04-12-05, 12:26 PM
Start Car... Idle for 10-30 seconds... drive mellow until oil reaches 150deg... then let the beating begin.

blown65
04-12-05, 12:54 PM
Start Car... Idle for 10-30 seconds... drive mellow until oil reaches 150deg... then let the beating begin.

Thats pretty much what I do.

trekster
04-12-05, 01:04 PM
I usually let the car warm up every morning for about 5-7 minutes.

thebigjimsho
04-12-05, 01:04 PM
Ditto.

I also take it easy on the tranny until it's up to normal temps. I double clutch it and since it's notchy cold, I also go from 1st to 3rd to 4th.

RobzBLKV
04-12-05, 02:30 PM
I follow the "give it a few seconds to get stuff moving" and drive it gently until the oil is warmed up theory.

I used to think the no warm up instructions were a bunch of bull, but I talked to an engineer that claimed the metallurgy of today's engines was different than it used to be and that there wasn't necessarily any science behind the warm up instructions. The most important fluid to warm up is the oil and that doesn't happen so quickly at idle. Anyway, I drive gently until the oil warms up now after giving it a 20 to 30 second warm up before moving.

homer403
04-12-05, 02:36 PM
I know you guys don't believe me but the LS6 requires no warm up... if it's freezing, start and go... but, like I said, the warmup benefits other parts of the car, especially the tranny. But the engine, no warm up required as stated by "GM".

Barak
04-12-05, 03:22 PM
Engine's require no warm up because of advanced metallurgy?! Pistons are still made out of aluminum like they were since the fifties. The only type of pistons I know of that require less warm up time are auto thermatics due to the steel struts used to maintain the pistons shape. Most pistons today are hypereutectic and are inherently slicker, but nonetheless use far tighter clearances than pistons before. As anyone should know, oil is much thicker when cold then when it is hot.

With the piston slap issues found on the many of the LS engines, I'm not so sure what piston technology GM uses, but the piston slap usually only occurs when the engine is cold and should alone tell you that the engine requires warm up.

RobzBLKV
04-12-05, 03:43 PM
I am not any sort of expert, but I dbout very much that the metals they used in engines in the 50s are the same metals that are used in engines today. In other words, pistons might have been aluminum, but was it the *same* aluminum or is the aluminum used now actually some hybrid metal with other metals mixed in for load bearing and heat bearing properties (or friction properties, as you mentioned)? What about the block? If the pistons are the same, maybe the block is different.

Like I said, I don't know that anything has changed. I just expect that a lot of things have. Oh, and variable viscosity oil is supposed to flow just as well at low temps as it does at high temps, isn't it? (yeah, I don't buy it either, but isn't that the theory?)

Geno
04-12-05, 04:16 PM

Same prescription, but I also monitor the oil pressure and allow it to get to 40psig before putting the car in gear. I wait for the water temp to get to approximately 190, before I start pushing the "V".

Barak
04-12-05, 05:49 PM
I mentioned that the pistons used today are typically hypereutectic, meaning they are of a different alloy than those used in the fifties. Regardless though, they still require warm up. The block is aluminum with cast iron inserts, so the pistons ride against the type of surface they did for decades.

Run your engine until its hot, pull the dipstick and wipe the oil onto your fingers. Now take a bottle of oil that been sitting at room temperature of the same viscosity and feel the oil with your fingers. The difference is huge. I don't care how many friction modifiers the oil has, it can't defy the laws of physics. So the theory is not that multigrade oils flow as well at low temperature as they do at high temperature, but that they flow much better than single grade oils at low temperatures. A 10W-30 is not a 10 weight oil at low temperatures; the two numbers have really no correlation between each other and are determined by completely different tests.

RobzBLKV
04-12-05, 05:52 PM
the two numbers have really no correlation between each other and are determined by completely different tests.

FABULOUS!! I never bought into the concept of the oil being "just as good" cold as it was warm, but I didn't realize the numbers came from different sources.

Regardless, you obviously know something about this topic and I was merely repeating information told to me (garbage in . . .) and speculating, so I will take your word for it. The engine needs to warm up.

But if so, that begs the question - why does the manufacturer say otherwise?

kimcheejeegae
04-12-05, 06:59 PM
I wait until oil temps have reached 150+... by then the engine temp needle is pegged in the middle...

CTSV05
04-12-05, 07:56 PM
I keep it under 4000 rpm until I have full engine temp.

Barak
04-12-05, 08:21 PM
You're right Rob, the question must be begged, why does the manufacturer say such things?

Sandyfoot-V
04-12-05, 08:34 PM
Barak, great information; clearly well informed.

I too wait until the engine is warmed to 150º F, which can be painfully slow in my short trek to work. Mobil 1 5W-30 can make a difference, but usually in diverse climates. Florida is not that diverse: 70-90º F year ‘round. Then again, I hammered the throttle long before the recommended break-in period was over. :D Intellectually, diametric apposition.

Go figure…

Joey'sVee
04-12-05, 09:02 PM
JMO...warminng the engine up could never hurt!

cts-vette
04-12-05, 11:30 PM
Let it warm up a min or two....whats the big deal, you can always make up the time while driving the car the way it was made to be driven!!! :eek:

MikeF
04-13-05, 12:37 AM
Start it and drive off but keep the revs down a while. I wouldn't spin a cold engine - anyway there's no percentage in doing it.

wildwhl
04-13-05, 01:51 AM
Personally, I never let her cool completely off. I just have to drive her every few hours...or I start getting the DT's :histeric:

Personally, I've always prescribed to the theory of fire her up, get the fluids going and drive nice and easy, short shifting and light throttle until she is warm (unless that 996 is just INSISTING you race to the end of the street)...moving transmission parts warm up much quicker than stationary parts :thumbsup:

agentf1
04-13-05, 12:00 PM
My ls6 is in a Z06 but I always teke it easy until oil is 150.