: Blue Devil Engine & Cooling system Sealer!?

Quadrasteer
04-11-05, 11:45 PM
I went to NAPA to buy Bars Leak Head Gasket Sealer and they ask me if I want something better. They showed me a can of Blue Devil sealer. When I saw the price I thought it was a mistake, $60.and change! I guess if it works it's worth the price but I bought the Bars Leak, $10.and change. Has anyone tried this product? This is their web site http://www.gouniversalproducts.com I'll try and find out if it can be used after using the Bars Leak...

Pjs
04-12-05, 12:28 AM
$10 for bars leak?!?!?!? I buy the tubes @ Walmart for $1.47 each.

Don't be to quick to believe someone behind a parts counter these days. Most of the people that I deal with at various parts stores couldn't find their ass with both hands let alone tell you whats best for your car. Stick with what the manufacturer recommends, use the bars golden seal.

Ranger
04-12-05, 12:39 PM
I have never been a big believer in "repairs in a bottle". There is only one way to fix a blown head gasket.

mcowden
04-12-05, 01:37 PM
Ditto... Look at the web site for that Blue Devil stuff... According to the manufacturer, it pretty much fixes everything except windshield wipers. It's back to the same old adage, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." I wouldn't trust that stuff for anything. If some tiny little chemical company can figure this out, every one of them should be able to do it and sell a similar product. Hasn't happened. To me, that means this company is full of $h1t and the product should be avoided. Bar's Leaks Golden Seal powder is about $1.50 a tube most places and is the manufacturer-recommended solution. The idiots at Napa can go shove it. They must be working on commission these days, or the manager has some vested interest in selling the Blue Devil product. The AutoZone people were trying to convince me that Lucas products are the best things to happen since fuel injection and I don't buy that crap for 1 second.

Quadrasteer
04-12-05, 02:13 PM
I wasen't talking about the regular Bars Leak. It was $ 11. for their Head Gasket Repair Sealer, Bars makes many products. I called Blue Devil and they said their product has a 90% success rate and that it is permanent. The only problem was when I mentioned that it was going into a NS he said don't even bother. ,it hasen't fixed one NS yet. I think that they have a money back guarantee,so I was willing to try it. When I asked if they knew of anyone that sold it for less than $60. he said that in some areas it sells for $70. or $80. !

mcowden
04-12-05, 05:47 PM
The manufacturer says it's awesome? There's a shocker. Wonder how many Northstars were counted among the 10% of head gaskets it didn't fix? No way does this stuff "fix" any headgaskets, especially not permanently. It's snake oil or brake fluid. There is no viable technical description of what it is or what it does. The entire website is devoted to saying "it's great, it's awesome, it fixes everything, it can do no wrong, it bonds to iron, steel, aluminum, magnesium, titanium, water, lead, silicon, plastic, and cheese!" without saying anything at all about how it works. That's because it doesn't work. No Bar's Leaks products are going to fix a head gasket either. It's a $10 promise to eliminate a $2500-$4000 repair. Not bloody likely. If a head gasket is blown, like Ranger said, there is only one way to fix it, and it doesn't come in any bottle at any price.

dkozloski
04-12-05, 06:44 PM
There used to be a product on the market called "Block Rock" that was a resin with a curing agent that you used in the block in place of coolant. It was intended for use in 1/4 mile dragsters to reinforce the crankcase. It sounds to me like the perfect ticket for use in a North*. The engine goes to limp home mode and you just drive it around that way. I had an old Ford pickup with a cracked block that I drove back and forth to work all winter with no water in it back when I was on hard times and only had about a 1/2 mile drive. Of course there was no heat either.

Spyder
04-12-05, 07:40 PM
I looked around on that blue devil website as well...what a load of crap...not only did it just praise their product, as everyone on here has mentioned, but a company selling a product should have better proofreaders! Misleppings and not good grammar are a dead giveaway that it is a scam.

weister42
04-12-05, 08:00 PM
I used an engine sealer from Car Quest for my old 94 VW Golf, my check engine light came on...I don't think it did anything good...oil still black dirty after 3k miles. That car was a hauler tho:rolleyes:

Quadrasteer
04-12-05, 11:07 PM
Years ago I used a product called Zotite. It looked like brass flakes or pieces. It sealed the crack perfectly! Two hours later a rod came out of the oil pan. I'm not defending these products but they do sometimes work. I only need it as a temp. fix. Time and testing will tell if Blue Devil works, not opinions. If you don't know first hand or from others who used it you sure can't tell by looking at a web site if a product works or not. Mabye you could have told us that our great NS oil burners would die an early death by looking at GM's crappy web sites and all the misinformation they give out. I guess since they spell correctly it's OK! Almost every product we use today had people saying they were no good until they were proven. The results should tell you if a product works not the opinion of someone who never used it and dosen't like their web site.

Pjs
04-12-05, 11:47 PM
I've spent many years as a mechanic...I worked on everything from VCR's to million dollar pieces of earthmoving equipment and I can tell you that nothing and I mean NOTHING in a can or bottle is going to fix a blown head gasket...ain't a gonna happen, regardless of what the boys at Napa tell you. I've also worked in more than a few parts stores in my day. Back in the day, a good parts guy really knew his stuff. Today I feel saddened that when I go to a parts store the counter guys know very little about cars and really know nothing of the parts and supplies they sell. We used to get inundated by every salesman trying to peddle his wares...Trans X comes to mind...They told us that it'd seal virtually any leaky trans seal...I sold many cans of it and not once did I ever hear of it actually work. Trust me, the guy is only telling you what he's either read or been told by the sales people or distributor. Of course he's gonna tell you it's great..how else is he going to get the $60 outta your pocket.

Pjs
04-12-05, 11:49 PM
.... Misleppings and not good grammar are a dead giveaway that it is a scam.

LOL..Dude..you crack me up :)

dkozloski
04-13-05, 01:31 AM
Pjs, my nephew manages the second most profitable NAPA store in the world right here in Fairbanks, Alaska. He built the business by hiring the very best researchers and counter men he could find. He has a group of young guys that you just can't stump. I think he told me there are 67 stores in this district and his does 24% of the total business. NAPA knows who he is and what he can do. He and I were comped By Dale Earnhardt Inc. for the Nextel Cup night race at Bristol including pit passes last August.

mechanix
04-13-05, 06:02 PM
I might as well throw my hat in the ring too! *lol* I have never seen any additive do what the manufacturer claimed it would do. That Blue Devil stuff must have been what the dealer used on my DeVille when I bought it, because I drove it 100 miles home from the dealer with a bad head gasket and not once did it overheat. But the next day it sure did!! *lol*

Pjs
04-14-05, 11:42 AM
Pjs, my nephew manages the second most profitable NAPA store in the world right here in Fairbanks, Alaska. He built the business by hiring the very best researchers and counter men he could find. He has a group of young guys that you just can't stump.

I'm sorry if I came off like an ass with my statement, I know there are parts houses out there like your nephew's. That used to be more of the standard than it is today. When I worked behind the counter I spent a lot of time learning everything I could about many different things, which was the case of most parts guys. It's just that these days it seems the big places (Autozone, Pep Boys..etc) hire people with realitively little automotive experience and they don't act like they care to learn. I spend a good deal of time and money at either Autozone or O'Reilly's and out of all the counter guys I deal with I can only think of 2 that really stand out as being knowledgeable.
I guess when it gets down to it, it's probably more due to a lack of what I would call a good work ethic. I work in a large well known university hospital. When I started working there I had no medical background, but within a few weeks I was put into a postition of coordinating brain and spine surgeries. I've spent the last couple years learning as much as I can including taking myself to the OR's to watch back and brain surgeries. I've spent countless hours having the Doc's school me in brain tumors and back problems. My main focus is that when that patient gets into the OR, everything is done and there are no mistakes, the surgeon has everything he needs to complete his task and I spend a lot of time with the patients prior to surgery to make sure they are mentally prepared for whats about to happen. On the other hand, I deal with other employees that could seem to care less about what they are doing and are only there to collect a paycheck.
Sorry to ramble on...it's just that the whole apathy thing at work is a real pet peeve of mine.

HumanZoo
08-30-05, 12:38 PM
i know this thread is old... but everyone on this post is trashing Blue Devil. I have used the Blue Devil Sealer on my 95 chev camaro when I warped the heads race'n. At the time I was too lazy to do the work myself and take the heads off and sand them down so I just bought Blue Devil, and followed the directions... it worked like a charm and its been a year now and no problems even with me racing it and pounding the motor hard...

usaphimu
09-16-10, 11:23 AM
I found this video extremely helpful with Northstar engines. I noticed that some Blue Devil bottles say, "Do Not Use On Northstar Engines". I spoke to the company and they said, this was because the Northstar engine is a low flow system. They said they have success with it, but since it is 80% successful compared to their 90% success rate with other engines, the company will not warrantee the bottle. This is why they have this disclaimer on the bottle. They told me to check out their blog which showed a video from youtube.com with the product being installed in a Cadillac. I was grateful because the video showed me how to apply 12 pounds of pressure with a pressure tester to the system. Which was incredibly easy! The company told me that this increases the success rate and the pressure in the system so the product can circulate effectively to reach those oxygen points and seal the leak. I'm ecstatic! I wanted to share this with other people that may not be mechanically savvy like me.

http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments=1&v=J-24QDGXb-c

OR: http://www.usasealants.com/blog/

Submariner409
09-16-10, 12:07 PM
OMG !!!!!.................:horse:

dre2kx
09-28-10, 01:14 PM
OMG !!!!!.................:horse:

L O L. Was that a vendor ad?

Anyway... I'm gonna try this stuff this weekend. I need to replace, not repair, the engine in my 2000 SLS so I say, what the heck.

If it doesn't work, I'll find another engine. If it does work, I'll drive it a little longer, then find another engine. Why? This stuff is will be my *temporary fix* till I find my engine.

Ranger
09-28-10, 10:38 PM
Jake is running a sale now.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/211345-incredible-discounts-head-gasket-work-engines.html

RippyPartsDept
09-28-10, 10:53 PM
:yeah:

zackg629
02-03-11, 10:54 AM
Ditto... Look at the web site for that Blue Devil stuff... According to the manufacturer, it pretty much fixes everything except windshield wipers. It's back to the same old adage, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." I wouldn't trust that stuff for anything. If some tiny little chemical company can figure this out, every one of them should be able to do it and sell a similar product. Hasn't happened. To me, that means this company is full of $h1t and the product should be avoided. Bar's Leaks Golden Seal powder is about $1.50 a tube most places and is the manufacturer-recommended solution. The idiots at Napa can go shove it. They must be working on commission these days, or the manager has some vested interest in selling the Blue Devil product. The AutoZone people were trying to convince me that Lucas products are the best things to happen since fuel injection and I don't buy that crap for 1 second.

I have used blue devil on my 96 DeVille and it worked perfect, No leaking what so ever, and it's been a year since I put it in, it my not be PERMANENT, and may not ALWAYS work but it does work sometimes and it's worth a try before you start ripping your engine apart.

RippyPartsDept
02-03-11, 01:10 PM
it's worth a try before you start ripping your engine apart.

I beg to differ :tisk:

there's other things you can do before 'ripping your engine apart' to diagnose your problem correctly, but if the head bolts are pulling out of the block nothing in a can fill fix that for you

tigers2007
02-07-11, 06:03 PM
I could see myself using this if I did not have $2000 for the correct repair and was offered the car for next to nothing. In fact, with all of the Caddy Hoopties in the Murder city near me, I could probably pick one up for $500 if that. Time for an experiment? I have a '99 Deville that was destined for the scrap yard as it sat for a couple years. Honestly, my dad would have taken $500 for it in a heartbeat as it was dead weight rotting away. I "did the right thing" and had NorthstarPerformance repair it for me and it does run great -- but that's because I could afford the $2k plus repair. I plan on putting 15k summer miles a year on this car so I had no choice to "do the right thing". This Blue crap could be good for those last second trade in's LOL

RippyPartsDept
02-07-11, 06:41 PM
This Blue crap could be good for those last second trade in's LOL

not really... there's nothing in a bottle that can seal against the explosive force of combustion

tigers2007
02-07-11, 08:47 PM
JB Weld baby!

vincentm
02-07-11, 10:14 PM
Those supporting a fix in a bottle lower my IQ

RippyPartsDept
02-07-11, 10:22 PM
between this thread and the seafoam thread in the cts forum i'm going to have to turn in my mensa card!

j/k i don't have a mensa card

vincentm
02-07-11, 10:26 PM
good news Chris, found a guy in town who has extensive experience on Northstar HG jobs and will install the stud kit i bought for 2K flat, he walked me into his shop and showed me a head gasket job he was doing on a Land rover, next month i get my baby studded along with a new oil pan gasket.

RippyPartsDept
02-07-11, 10:28 PM
better than good news... Great News!

vincentm
02-07-11, 10:32 PM
Yea he told me "im not afraid of Northstars, they're actually a damn good engine, all other shops turned you down? I'm not scared of these beauties one bit"

tigers2007
02-07-11, 10:33 PM
Do we also ban that aerosol tire repair too? That is the OEM spare these days. A can of gunk lol. I know for a fact that once you put that in your tires, many tire shops REFUSE to touch your tire.

RippyPartsDept
02-07-11, 10:52 PM
that's really good to hear vincent!

and tigers... what's your point? those are two totally different things you're talking about (HG repair in a bottle & fix-a-flat) - one is horrible for N* engines, the other actually works

and any shop that refuses to touch a tire that's had fix-a-flat in it without even trying to get it to balance isn't worth going to

the bad thing about the OEM use of fix-a-flat instead of a compact spare (or full size spare) is that in the event of a blowout you're screwed
most cars that have the oem fix-a-flat have an accessory kit to replace it with a compact spare

The new SRX and new Saab 9-5 come to mind ... not sure about the CTS, although you could always toss a full size spare in your trunk in any car if you really want to be careful

Ranger
02-07-11, 11:01 PM
Do we also ban that aerosol tire repair too? That is the OEM spare these days. A can of gunk lol. I know for a fact that once you put that in your tires, many tire shops REFUSE to touch your tire.
I wouldn't put that stuff in my tire on a bet. I did it once years ago on a garden tractor. When I finally pulled the tire the wheel was rusted inside so bad that I had to wire wheel it and paint a sealer on the inside to seal the rust. Imagine what it will do to your wheels.

I've also heard that shops won't touch it once that crap is in there. Not sure if it is because it is a mess to clean up or is toxic.

tigers2007
02-07-11, 11:16 PM
Well in H.S. I worked at a tire shop. That fix-a-flat gunk messed up with the patch bonding properties of our adhesives; even after you cleaned it and scuffed it.

RippyPartsDept
02-08-11, 12:21 AM
you would think that GM would have formulated a fix-a-flat compound that doesn't cost them $500-$1000 for a new wheel when used

we've had a few customers use theirs in their saturns and cadillacs and haven't seen any problems with the wheels

Ranger
02-08-11, 12:24 AM
Leave it in there long enough (if it seals the leak many will) and see what happens to those wheels.

Submariner409
02-08-11, 11:16 AM
I'll second and third the "fix-a-flat NO-NO". Like Ranger, I used it in a tractor tire and the mess it made of the wheel cost me some extra bucks to replace the whole thing, not just the tire.

Yes, the stuff works for small cracks and punctures, but you pay dearly for the convenience when it comes repair/replacement time.

drewsdeville
02-08-11, 11:42 AM
Wow, never heard of it causing corrosion issues. I used it in my '90 shortly after purchase in early '08. It actually did stop the leak, but it threw that wheel off balance for the duration of the time it was in there. Last fall, I finally dismounted the tires to swap them with my '95's before I sold it, and besides having to clean the stuff out (not fun), the rim and it's paint was in perfect condition. :confused:

Submariner409
02-08-11, 03:34 PM
Wow, never heard of it causing corrosion issues. I used it in my '90 shortly after purchase in early '08. It actually did stop the leak, but it threw that wheel off balance for the duration of the time it was in there. Last fall, I finally dismounted the tires to swap them with my '95's before I sold it, and besides having to clean the stuff out (not fun), the rim and it's paint was in perfect condition. :confused:

This may be apples and oranges, BUT - I think some of these tire sealers are water based latex rubber. IF the car wheel was aluminum, no corrosion, but if the tractor wheel was steel - look out !

drewsdeville
02-08-11, 05:28 PM
Hmm, I used the popular SLIME branded stuff. I believe it's latex based, not really sure though. 15" steel rims on the '90.

Ranger
02-08-11, 11:05 PM
This may be apples and oranges, BUT - I think some of these tire sealers are water based latex rubber. IF the car wheel was aluminum, no corrosion, but if the tractor wheel was steel - look out !
It was steel in my case.