: How many differentials have you had replaced?

wildwhl
04-11-05, 01:16 AM
OK, just want to get a quick count for those of us that have been unfortunate enough to have differential failure...just a quick poll, and yes, I still love the V.

Also, if your diff failed due to breakage (not just whine) please type a quick note of the details...

wildwhl
04-11-05, 01:47 AM
Hmmm...after 8 voters an early trend almost 2-1 repacements...:nono:

jspinetto
04-11-05, 02:44 AM
I have had my V for over a year now and I still do not have any whine or clunking from my diff (knock on wood) :hide:

but before you think that I baby the car consider this:

My daily driver is a SRX. When the weekend comes I take out the V and beat the crap out of it. Powershifting, clutch drops, etc. The mods on my car are as follows: BMR AWHK, More CAIK and Corsa exhaust.

While I agree that our cars diff is weaker than it should be, I find it very very strange that GM would release this part without countless hours of QA testing.

For example, racing on the "ring" in Germany and the use of the same diff in the CTS-VR.

Seeing as how the car was developed with these applications in mind it seems very odd that a large number are failing.

Maybe it is the diff itself but maybe it is a problem with the V's design such as the wheel-hop itself, a problem with the driveshaft, problem with torque specs inside the diff, maybe the gear lash is off, etc.

Just my .02 cents.

Out of curiosity, of those who have had their diff's replaced once, how many have had the need for a second time (might be a sign of a problem in the car other than the diff) ?

Also I have ~12,000mi on my V and I have not changed the diff fluid yet.

Jonathan

BliTzer
04-11-05, 05:07 AM
Wld, hmm i wonder if another poll, like mod changes to car specifially wheel size changes made vs stock.. ect ect...

I have 20's and all is still fine. Plus maggie and couple other changes.. I took car this weekend to friend that has lift in his garage & inspected the entire driveline, the best i could see with out removing any parts, all looks fine including rearend..

anyway just a thought on stock V vs mod V = how many MAJOR problems.

later, blitzer ;)

trukk
04-11-05, 12:11 PM
Not sure if you can edit a poll once it's posted, but you might want to include another category(s):

1) None, but I have diff whine
2) None, The whine is progressively gettin worse, and I think it may go soon.

Mine is #1.

-Chris

CVP33
04-11-05, 07:17 PM
2. One 2004 and now one 2005.

BowenCT
04-11-05, 08:02 PM
I chose "None - original is fine!". However I did have whine at 800 miles and had the fluid and additive changed. I now have 2100 miles and the whine has yet to return, although I do expect it to.

CVP33
04-11-05, 10:46 PM
This is scarey. If my math is correct, this equates to 37% of the differentials with issues. GM is wrong for not improving this rear with something beefier.
So far:
26 - No problems
8 - replaced at least once
2 - replaced at least twice (that's me, one '04 and one '05)
1 - replaced at least three times! (I know who that was)

So out of 41 rear differentials, 15 have been replace due to catastrophic failure. Not a very good average in my book. Anyone else see a problem with that?

DILLIGAF
04-11-05, 11:43 PM
Is there a way to find out the total number of diffs replaced on the ctsv?Would GM have to supply those numbers to someone?(stockholders)(dealers)Somebody has got to know the totals.At least 6000 cars made,could there be 2000 bad diffs in the future?

Vrocks
04-12-05, 12:40 AM
I have had my V for over a year now and I still do not have any whine or clunking from my diff (knock on wood) :hide:

but before you think that I baby the car consider this:

When the weekend comes I take out the V and beat the crap out of it. Powershifting, clutch drops, etc. The mods on my car are as follows: BMR AWHK, More CAIK and Corsa exhaust.

Maybe it is the diff itself but maybe it is a problem with the V's design such as the wheel-hop itself, a problem with the driveshaft, problem with torque specs inside the diff, maybe the gear lash is off, etc.

Just my .02 cents.

Out of curiosity, of those who have had their diff's replaced once, how many have had the need for a second time (might be a sign of a problem in the car other than the diff) ?

Also I have ~12,000mi on my V and I have not changed the diff fluid yet.

Jonathan

I agree with you 100%. My '04 has just over 12,000 miles on it like yours, and the diff is as good as new. It's also running on the original fluid from the factory, but I plan on having it changed soon.

I also believe that a few V's might have something else going wrong, that would cause multiple rear diff failures. I've brought it up a few times but no one seems to know what could cause these failures (other than lots of hop).

wildwhl
04-12-05, 02:39 AM
Is there a way to find out the total number of diffs replaced on the ctsv?Would GM have to supply those numbers to someone?(stockholders)(dealers)Somebody has got to know the totals.At least 6000 cars made,could there be 2000 bad diffs in the future?

There were enough failures that the part number has changed at least once, and through recent contact with Getrag (sorry, didn't search for the email response I posted a few weeks back) there is a refined design to be available soon (June IIRC).

Can't be cheap for any of the parties involved...but I think Phil @ DTE commented that there may not be much that one could do to increase the strength of the design... :o

lasstss
04-12-05, 09:41 AM
Well, after forwarding a few posts to my contact at getrag, the responses dried up. No replies at all now.. I had the e mail addresses of 6-7 people at the Getrag US office. Not one has got back to me. Obviously, they know there is a problem. Im wondering if the NHSTA should be notified?? Imagine merging on an interstate and having the diff decide to blow at that instant and coming to a stop... not pretty..:mad:

wildwhl
04-12-05, 06:05 PM
lasstss -

my replies from Getrag have dried up as well...interesting :hmm:

wildwhl
04-18-05, 01:35 AM
Well, after some serious running today (but NO hard launches) mine still has no whine :hmm:

Dave's V
04-18-05, 01:46 AM
My new dif is silent at 1500 miles (knocking on wood). I replaced the fluid at 600 miles with 75W90 Redline and I followed Cadillac's break in procedure.

wildwhl
04-18-05, 01:48 AM
Notice the poll numbers? We're at nearly 50% replacement/failures :eek:

joshdctsv
04-18-05, 10:13 PM
Notice the poll numbers? We're at nearly 50% replacement/failures :eek:

I show we're at ~160 registered V Owners. Keep in mind we're only representing, then, ~5% of the V population. So, our ~40 failures should represent something near ~800 failures total for the two V model years. If they're paying several grand for this repair (I think I read that somewhere) they've already exceded $1M for this problem alone. Staggering. Also surprising that they have managed to keep it so quiet thus far. Let's see what we can do to change that.

willsctsv
04-18-05, 10:32 PM
When mine was replaced I saw the bill $3333.13! Ouch ! Glad It was free!

Dave's V
04-18-05, 10:41 PM
I show we're at ~160 registered V Owners. Keep in mind we're only representing, then, ~5% of the V population. So, our ~40 failures should represent something near ~800 failures total for the two V model years. If they're paying several grand for this repair (I think I read that somewhere) they've already exceded $1M for this problem alone. Staggering. Also surprising that they have managed to keep it so quiet thus far. Let's see what we can do to change that.

5% really isn't a good sample. A lot of V owners that don't come to this site probably wouldn't notice the whine as quick as we have. That is why I think Cadillac won't do anything about it besides deny claims on cars that have been modified. I do believe the wheel hop problem contributes to its failure. I would bet the sticky F1s also contribute to the failures. Something has to give and the rear dif is the weakest link.

Now if 120 of the 160 V owners here had failures, that would indicate an obvious problem.

I still believe Cadillac put a substandard rearend in this car. The 321 ft/lbs of torque limit proves that. The flywheel, tranny and driveshaft won't eat up 74 ft/lbs of torque.

joshdctsv
04-18-05, 11:11 PM
5% really isn't a good sample. A lot of V owners that don't come to this site probably wouldn't notice the whine as quick as we have. ...

I would point out though that the poll is for failures, not just whine. Members would be no more or less likely to experience failure, unless we assume that Members are more likely to have modified their vehicles and mods somehow contribute to the problem.

TCSisOFF
04-18-05, 11:12 PM
You really should not be voting if your CTS has less than 15,000 miles.
This isn't a problem that happens overnight. If you have less than 15,000 miles on your car, your opinion doesn't really matter! :thumbsup:
At 50,000 miles, I've been through 2 and working on the third.
And trust me, they replace alot because the parts were extremely available both times, and they had it done in less than 3 days both times. Now, I may be crazy, but a dealership doesn't ususally take care of major repairs this quickly unless they are trying to sweep the repair under the rug.
I am currently speaking with a lemon law attourney and if anyone would like to join a multi-person lawsuit against Cadillac, please email me at socaliguy81@yahoo.com and tell me your situation.
Honestly,
Travis

joshdctsv
04-18-05, 11:17 PM
You really should not be voting if your CTS has less than 15,000 miles.
This isn't a problem that happens overnight. If you have less than 15,000 miles on your car, your opinion doesn't really matter! :thumbsup:
At 50,000 miles, I've been through 2 and working on the third.
And trust me, they replace alot because the parts were extremely available both times, and they had it done in less than 3 days both times. Now, I may be crazy, but a dealership doesn't ususally take care of major repairs this quickly unless they are trying to sweep the repair under the rug.
I am currently speaking with a lemon law attourney and if anyone would like to join a multi-person lawsuit against Cadillac, please email me at socaliguy81@yahoo.com and tell me your situation.
Honestly,
Travis
Non-V? This is news to us, is it not?

benjet
04-18-05, 11:27 PM
Non-V? This is news to us, is it not?

Not to me, but then again I don't just read the V board ;)

There are a handful of NON-V CTS with similiar failures (reported on this site), altho different diff and no LSD.

StealthV
04-18-05, 11:49 PM
Search for "whine" on the CTS forum.

It's not limited to the Vs. Here's some highlights...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36785&highlight=whine
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24974&highlight=whine
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17335&highlight=whine

GM is well aware of the issue at hand as this has been happening since 2003. If it were a quality control problem, it would have been dealt with long ago.

wildwhl
04-19-05, 12:28 AM
When I created this poll my intent was simple - to get a sampling of V owners on this board report their failure rate(s). As of this post, it is over 50% replacements of the 70 posted responses. 44 rear differential replacements multiplied by, let's call it $3K each...well, you get the point.

It has cost the General a pretty penny to keep the "whiners quiet" :histeric:

Unfortunately, none of us find this :bouncy: but instead :nono: :( :( :( :nono:

Calculate in the additional diffs from SRX's, CTS's and wherever else it is all going bad...man...if I could have a $100 for every diff GM has had to replace in the last few years.

GM won't fix the problem :brutal:

We'll have to.

Devil_concours
04-19-05, 12:37 AM
i have a question for you guys. Since we're not getting answers from gm why not contact getrag directly and ask them why our rear diffs are failing at a crazy rate. Are we all aggressive drivers... probably not but then why are they all failiing?

benjet
04-19-05, 12:58 AM
i have a question for you guys. Since we're not getting answers from gm why not contact getrag directly and ask them why our rear diffs are failing at a crazy rate. Are we all aggressive drivers... probably not but then why are they all failiing?

Yep, we did that.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35819

Dave's V
04-19-05, 12:59 AM
Search for "whine" on the CTS forum.

It's not limited to the Vs. Here's some highlights...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36785&highlight=whine
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24974&highlight=whine
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17335&highlight=whine

GM is well aware of the issue at hand as this has been happening since 2003. If it were a quality control problem, it would have been dealt with long ago.

It looks like the regular CTS has a different part number for the new rear end compared to the new one on the V. It also sounds like people on the CTS forum like their cars less than V owners when they have a rear end problem.

Devil_concours
04-19-05, 01:04 AM
It looks like the regular CTS has a different part number for the new rear end compared to the new one on the V. It also sounds like people on the CTS forum like their cars less than V owners when they have a rear end problem.
That would be me and infact i'm contacting a lemon law lawyer to do start the paper work on my car. I haven't decided whether to join in with the v crowd or get a convertible sports car but seeing how i don't fit in anything including m3 vert i may just get the v

Vrocks
04-19-05, 01:07 AM
Funny that other Cadillac models are now being thrown into the mix.
Nearly every NEW cadillac that I've been in ( every model for the past 3 yrs ) has had a noisy differential.

CTS - '03, '05
STS - AWD '05
SRX - AWD '04 V8
Escalade - '03's, '04, '05's ( least likely, only 1 in 5 has had it )

Fortunately my V has been spared...

Wrk Car
04-19-05, 02:15 AM
04 with 20k and 3 differentials so far.

lasstss
04-19-05, 09:52 AM
04 with 20k and 3 differentials so far.

Here is the info... worth the call.

http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/ They handle Class Action singular as well as group. For those of you who have gone thru 1+ differentials.. Check it out.

Contact is Michael Sacks
msacks@lemonlaw.com

Call him, very knowledgeable guy when it comes to GM. No cost to the consumer. Handles multiple states... 856-216-0655 X 13

lasstss
04-19-05, 01:52 PM
Further to my last note. For the multiple failure guys..

It was a pleasure speaking with you yesterday pertaining to the CTS issue.
Thanks to taking the time to discuss the matter. This morning, I inquired
with Bob Silverman and he told me that if anyone on the forum has three
repair invoices to illustrate the whining noise in the rear and the problem
is still occurring, chances are he may be able to get them money (reflecting
the diminished value of the vehicle) and an extended warranty through GM.
For more serious situations, such as explosions, we can examine the lemon
law. There is no fee for this legal assistance. In addition, if the client
prevails, the car is not branded in an way so it does not affect resale. If
anyone on your forum needs our help, please have them contact me at
msacks@lemonlaw.com. For further information, forum members can visit
www.lemonlaw.com.

Regards,
Michael Sacks
Director, Communications & Client Services
Kimmel and Silverman
800-536-6652 ext. 131