: The V's Performance at Limerock

willsctsv
04-10-05, 11:22 PM
I was down at Limerock on saturday. I was a virgin. First time for me or the V. sefa and slrvee were there. We were the only 3 V's and the cars performed flawlessly.:coolgleam
It was great going around that track with my instructor sitting in the passenger seat telling me when to turn, brake and floor it! A must do for any enthusiast.:lildevil:

He asked me to if he could drive around the track a few laps and I was all for it. He races is own truck, and instructs. The guy knows his stuff!
Well, he was impressed with the caddy, and he has driven many Bmw's around the track and is an instructor for a BMW club. I think that speaks volumes for the V!:coolgleam

I had a blast with the car and was amazed with it's ability, it surely exceeded my expectations, and you will also be suprised. :worship:
The speed at which I was cornering and not wiping out had me shocked. This car was glued to the track. For anyone who know's the Limerock main straight hitting 120 mph before having to turn is respectable.
My brakes worked flawlessly, never fadiing.

The power through the turns was on and the V never felt like it was getting loose. The tranmissions close ratio's and the torque from this monster are a package to be envied!
I had enough power to run up on and Lap a Porsche Boxter, Nissan 350Z, C4 vette, WRX, S2000.. :want:
I'm hooked..
I will run this car as is, no slicks, no suspension mods or major engine work.. Great car. :lildevil:

My last run was the best, my instructor felt I was ready to go it alone.

After 3 laps by myself I had more confidence and was pushing the car. Once that happened the V was on a mission.:lildevil: How fast can I run up on ya!

I will definately do this again.. I'm sure sefa and slrvee will agree.. Next stop Watkins Glen..

I'm covinced that this street car will run with the best of them.:worship:

MikeF
04-11-05, 12:17 AM
Great post, Will. It validates all the reasons I bought the V. Is the tranny close ratio? Seems well spaced to me, I usually start in second. All I know are bikes and a good sportbike will go 80-100 mph in low gear.

CTSV05
04-11-05, 08:23 AM
Sweet!!!

Glad for you. Nice to see guys are actually using the V and enjoying its capabilities!!!

Avejoe
04-11-05, 09:06 AM
I live less than an hour and couldn't go. I've been watching these theds and I just wanta die!! sooooooooooo sad. I have got to make it next time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Groo-V
04-11-05, 09:12 AM
IThe speed at which I was cornering and not wiping out had me shocked. This car was glued to the track.

Are you running on the original tires?

willsctsv
04-11-05, 12:47 PM
Original tires.. The car loves to be pushed and feels very neutral and balanced.
It really responded to driver input predictably. Pushing a little when it should, oversteering when it should. All this only due to my error, and it was easily corrected..

Mike, the V does have a close ratio gear box, because evry redline shift brought we back to around 4500 rpm, a very sweet spot to be! With the torque of this engine, coming out of corners was a shit load of fun. I drove the trackand 3rd and 4th the whole time.

What a rush, cornering at 60,70 and 80 mph! Then flying down the staright well over a 100, and leaving some of the other cars I mentioned many car lengths behind...

Groo-V
04-11-05, 12:51 PM
Yeah....the OEM tires are extremely sticky (that's why I had to replace them at 6500...but I won't go down that path). I now have the GSD3's and was hoping to get a track report on them. Guess I just need to get mine to the track and find out for myself.

Great write up though. Very jealous!

trukk
04-11-05, 01:38 PM
We have similar first time track experiences (although it sounds like you may be a better driver than me :) ).

One thing I really found cool was the power our cars have compared to the other smaller cars. On my first day I was driving very slow, learning the line, and just trying to be smooth. VIR has a very long back straight (got up to 140). You pull onto this straight in mid 2nd. One time I came out, and leisurly made my way up to 80, in 4th gear (4k RPMS at the track is leisurly). I was maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down the straight. I pulled to the right to allows the cars behind mne to pass. I let off the accelerator (it is slightly up hill there), and waited for a few to pass.....and NOTHING. My instructor, was like "Let those guys pass!". I then had to tell him I was totaly off throttle, coasting up the hill. He made me apply a bit of break. Finally the tow Lotus Elise's that were behind me came SLOWLY screaming by at 58K RPMs (or whatever those run at :) ). That put one of the largest smiles on my face of the entire weekend.

For my other observations see this post:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35853&highlight=track

For those of you that haven't gone to track event, it is a MUST do. Such an incredibly good time.

-Chris

sefa01
04-11-05, 04:37 PM
We had 3 Vs and 4 drivers at Lime Rock, since my son came with me. He drove in the Green group with WillCTSV and Slrvee, while I drove in the white group.

While I'd been to Lime Rock before, I echo everything WillCTSV says--with one exception. Lime Rock is actually far from the best track for the V. Pocono is better and Watkins Glen is absolutely the best.

The problem with Lime Rock all day Saturday was the traffic. Too many cars in each group on a relatively short track. When I went last November, there were half as many cars. But this was the first PDA event this year (the March 24 at Lime Rock was rained out) and it was jammed.

WillCTSV and Slrvee each got in 4 20-minute runs. Their cars ran great. But between my son and I, we got in 7 runs--and absolutley no problems with the V. Of course, in 5 track events last year (a total of 7 track days), I had no problems with the car, either.

I previously posted the track day schedules for PDA. SCDA, and Tracquest--but that was before we had a "sticky" for track days. I'll post them again. But WillCTSV and I will be at Watkins Glen on May 9-10. We'd love to have some other Vs with us. And I'll be running with TracQuest on July 4-5 at Virginia International Raceway (VIR) if anyone wants to run there (and we've had a number of posts from V owners who have already done VIR).

Check out the schedules once their posted. Or simply go to www.pdadrivingschool.com, www.scda1.com, or www.tracquest.com.

willsctsv
04-11-05, 05:02 PM
Sefa,
I was all smiles all the way home, had the V1 radar on, so no tickets. Over all a great day!
The most exciting tank of gas I ever drove through and I can't wait to do it again. I gassed up in the morning was about 7/8 full when I got to the track, and before my last run of the day I had to gas it up again. Priceless.

GNSCOTT
04-11-05, 09:10 PM
Damn, I should have gone. I just get to damn lazy trying to figure out how to sign up. If anyone want to walk me through it next time.:bonkers:

sefa01
04-12-05, 10:25 AM
Damn, I should have gone. I just get to damn lazy trying to figure out how to sign up. If anyone want to walk me through it next time.:bonkers:

It's real easy--and I'd be happy to walk you through it. E-mail me at sefa@aol.com