: BANG Update - With Pictures - not pretty

CVP33
04-10-05, 04:15 PM
Well it's wasn't the tranny of the rear diff' to be specific it was the half shaft. Snapped clean. Driver's side. The grinding is litterally the half shaft rubbing up against the diff' as it spins freely. Notice the lube sprayed under the car.

Leloz
04-10-05, 05:11 PM
Wow, sorry to hear about this. Did they give you another V to drive or just a regular CTS? When I get my ESV Platinum serviced at Duke, they always give me another ESV or Denali.

Hope it all works out, it is a shame for such a new car to be plagued with these defects.

CVP33
04-10-05, 05:14 PM
It goes in on Monday. I usually get a Deville. I'd prefer an SRX to be honest or an STS but that won't happen.

steve711
04-10-05, 05:45 PM
Same thing happened to me.But the tech that worked at the dealership done mine in.I had to prop for both half-shafts to be replaced, Incuding the rear diff.I would say the same for you.This is deffinatly a problem that these cv joints break so easily.

So is your dealer working with you on replacing everything or playing the old faithfull "not under warrenty due to hard driving" Bull shit?

Any wich way i feel for you man
It should all work out for you

SBONES
04-10-05, 06:19 PM
since when do you pick your loaner. I sure as hell dont...:rant2:

lawfive
04-10-05, 07:14 PM
Well it's wasn't the tranny of the rear diff' to be specific it was the half shaft. Snapped clean. Driver's side. The grinding is litterally the half shaft rubbing up against the diff' as it spins freely. Notice the lube sprayed under the car.

Dammit!

Dave's V
04-10-05, 07:22 PM
since when do you pick your loaner. I sure as hell dont...:rant2:

Some dealers are pains with loaners, mine is not. Three days max though.

But I have the GMPP so I get a loaner no matter what.

CVP33
04-11-05, 07:21 PM
Very sad day in the CVP household today. Emailed More Performance and cancelled my Magna Charger. If the rear end can't handle 25 more HP from a CAI and Exhaust it'll never stay alive with a S/C. I know that I could just baby it and only "get on it" once safely in 3rd gear. I'd prefer to enjoy my vehicle and not have to worry every time I feel a vibration or hear a stray noise from the back of the car. Damnit I wish they'd gotten this right.

wildwhl
04-11-05, 08:28 PM
Very sad day in the CVP household today. Emailed More Performance and cancelled my Magna Charger. If the rear end can't handle 25 more HP from a CAI and Exhaust it'll never stay alive with a S/C. I know that I could just baby it and only "get on it" once safely in 3rd gear. I'd prefer to enjoy my vehicle and not have to worry every time I feel a vibration or hear a stray noise from the back of the car. Damnit I wish they'd gotten this right.

There's always the option of a MagnaCharger with judicious use of torque management in the program to save 1st and 2nd gear launches and give you everything in every other gear? Why do I say this...well...I suspect MagnaCharger thinks the same thing...and I'm not really against it in any way.

Trust me, you'll regret not buying the Maggie :)

Wild :D

Geno
04-11-05, 10:00 PM
I would like to think the jury is still out on the addition of a Maggie. I've got about a thousand miles on my car since the Maggie install and a total of about 7500 miles and everything holding together so far.:hide:

In the study of accident there is always a chain of events. 1) Driver briskly takes corner. 2) Tires slip due to low coefficent of friction in the corner and suddenly grabs a sticky piece of pavement. 3) A manufacture defect in the metalurgy of the half shaft is exposed by the sudden loading...bang!:crying2:

I don't know what to think at this point. I must be lucky because even with the extra power and my agressive driving style, everything has held up. I think the secret is I drive hard like the SCCA CTS-VR are driven and if they are using the stock diff and rear components as rumored, maybe that's the secret. Allow the car to hook up and then get on it...but who knows?:disappoin

I hope you haven't given up on the Maggie, but I understand your hesitation.

ssmith100
04-11-05, 10:11 PM
Geno said ............metalurgy:) Thought that was funny for some reason. I guess I have been one of the lucky one's too, 15,000 miles and not even a whine.

Shane

blown65
04-11-05, 10:22 PM
The wheel hop issues really punish the hell outta the drive train also. The Grab release grab release is prob just as bad as dropping the clutch IMO.

Pretty obvious though, they put some weak parts in the rear for this many ppl ot have issues. Need a poll of ppl that have greater tahn 5k miles on thier cars and have either have broken rears or noisey. I'm one of the lucky so far, nothing. Then again I have the B&B exh so it may be hard to hear. :)

You would definitely not wanna hop the rear wheels with the maggy. I can just imagine what that extra 100-150 tq will do when the rear cant even handle stock. :(

CVP33
04-11-05, 10:44 PM
For the record I have just over 8,000 miles on my V. That's about the same time I lost the one in the '04 as I recall.

CVP33
04-13-05, 01:11 AM
Rear replaced today under warranty. Awaiting Brian's response regarding the "extended" warranty and our rear diff's for my next move. Also will be getting a call back from Cadillac Customer Service regarding the rear diff' situation. Expecting to get the extended warranty, blah, blah, blah. I'd rather just have a beefier setup.

lasstss
04-13-05, 11:05 AM
You folks that have detonated a rear or half shafts really need to fill this out...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/

CVP33
04-13-05, 11:20 PM
done

Kels55
04-14-05, 06:44 PM

CVP33, Do you have the BMR AWK? If so, read me post in your other thread titled "BANG! Your Dead". I had almost the same thing happen and it was all a result of the Driveline angle being offset by have the BMR AWK installed.

wildwhl
04-14-05, 06:47 PM
Kels55 -

I don't understand how changing the driveline angle (rotating the pinion lower or higher) would affect and/or damage the halfshafts? Can you please explain?

Wild

CVP33
04-14-05, 09:18 PM
No BMR.

Devil_concours
04-14-05, 10:39 PM
at least the hot new lady at the enterprise desk doesn't go "i'm sorry sir but you're under 25 and i cannot give you a luxury rental"

jspinetto
04-15-05, 12:35 AM
Thats when you go to the GM and say "I want a 2005 STS, V8 to use please " :thumbsup:

Jonathan