: Trunk Lock Cover Removal

DopeStar 156
04-10-05, 02:51 PM
How the hell does one get that thing off? At junkyards I usually pry them off but I don't wanna do that to my car. It looks like there's rivets holding it in place. Any thoughts?

brougham
04-10-05, 07:02 PM
If it has rivets holding it on just drill them out and it will come off.

cmgrafmc
04-11-05, 03:10 AM
I'm kind of wondering the same thing. DopeStar, congrats on the new top and emblems...I don't need the top but my badges are faded and I'd love to replace them. The service manual kind-of shows how to remove the trunk badge but not in nearly the detail I'd like. I'll read it over again maybe tomorrow if I have time; if I can figure it out I'll let you know.

Do you have the GM service manual for the 89? If not, Ebay it up...it's totally worth it. Make sure it's the actual GM manual and don't pay more than like $30.

DopeStar 156
04-11-05, 10:25 AM
I'm kind of wondering the same thing. DopeStar, congrats on the new top and emblems...I don't need the top but my badges are faded and I'd love to replace them. The service manual kind-of shows how to remove the trunk badge but not in nearly the detail I'd like. I'll read it over again maybe tomorrow if I have time; if I can figure it out I'll let you know.

Do you have the GM service manual for the 89? If not, Ebay it up...it's totally worth it. Make sure it's the actual GM manual and don't pay more than like $30.
I do have the GM service manual for the car. I didn't think to look in there though...

cmgrafmc
04-12-05, 05:34 AM
I was inspired by your new badges so I stopped by a body shop that worked on my grandpa's DTS. I asked them what it might cost to buy all new badges and a hood ornament. It looks like around $100 for the parts...and I think I'd just have them put them on; probably another $75. I hate having to pay people to do that kind of stuff but they have the tools and everything...and if they screw up, they have to fix it. =) If you aren't gung-ho about trying to change the trunk badge yourself, you might ask someone at a local shop if they'd do it for like $35. (See how easily I can spend your money?)

Katshot
04-12-05, 08:54 AM
It is in fact, held on by two rivets. As I recall it takes two 3/16" rivets but you might need to grind the heads of the rivets slightly because the holes are a little smaller than most 3/16" rivet heads. As I recall, you may need to either grind the nose of the rivet gun or space out the rivet head from it since the hole in the emblem is narrow and deep. Either way, it's a fairly straight forward job, I've done a bunch with no special tools.

DopeStar 156
04-12-05, 01:58 PM
Hahaha! Yeah really don't spend too much now. I'm watching a trunk lock cover on eBay that's like $9. It's the cheapest one on there and it comes with a buncha emblems too which I'll probably just wall mount or something. When I get home I'll check my shop manual and try to establish a strategy to get that thing off.

cmgrafmc
04-12-05, 11:59 PM
Grr. I was kinda watching that auction, too. Haha. I won't bid out of respect for the fact that yours is a D'Elegance AND my favorite color.

DopeStar 156
04-13-05, 01:53 AM
Ohh I'm sorry. Feel free I'm just watching it anyway. I could get one from my vinyl top guy in good shape.