: Before And After....(Mufflers)

WoodShoe
04-10-05, 11:07 AM
Just paid our local track a visit yesterday. I wanted to see if my butt dyno was correct in thinking the Midas mufflers actually did something. And to my surprise, it ran a 14.75 from a previous 15.1 with much traction problems. . . not too bad for just a set of mufflers. I wonder if a new cat will make much more of a difference, allong with removing that resonator. ?

powerglide
04-10-05, 03:27 PM
midas mufflers!? are they just regular replacement mufflers or some kinda performance version? (any other mods on you car?)

WoodShoe
04-10-05, 06:17 PM
They are the raven 5.5's if i remember correctly. No other mods other than drop in K&N filter which prolly does not do anything, but it sounds nicer. Worth the money IMO. U can hardly hear them inside over the engine at WOT, and they have a great idle..actually..ill go make a video now and post it......

Bah...cam wont record sound now :banghead: . . .

davesdeville
04-10-05, 07:35 PM
.35 sec is a bit much for just mufflers, you think you got better traction this run? I'm about 1.5 hours away from sniping some magnaflows on ebay (if anyone is interested in magnaflows and reads this, don't touch they're mine :p )

WoodShoe
04-10-05, 07:57 PM
It actually seemed like i got less traction...I have taken this thing to tha track many many times when it was stock...15.1 consistantly....and have u actually looked at the OEM mufflers..dang theyre big

1fastSTS
04-10-05, 08:40 PM
id think magnaflow wouldnt sound good on these cars. but it all comes down to personal preference. its just ive had magnaflow on a few cars previously and it always made every car sound ricey.
the 40 series flowmasters seem pretty sweet. and theres a sound clip on here already...sounds very throaty. slap a 2.5inch universal hi flow cat, it enhanced my cars exhaust tone nicely ... id think ud be set.
if ud wanna go 3.0 u could and gain a couple extra horses over the 2.5inch and have the downpipe made to 3.0 as well, but it be louder. Depends if u care or not.

davesdeville
04-11-05, 02:48 AM
Did you install the K&N at the same time as the mufflers or did you have that for the 15.1s? It'd be sweet if I could get .35 from just mufflers! Did you do anything besides the muffler down there like bigger pipes etc? The OEM mufflers are 20x4x9 inches approx, the magnaflows are 14x4x9. I'll do some 0-60 runs before and after I put mine on.

The guy who was selling the magnaflows said he didn't like the sound and had them on only one day before he got some flowmasters put on. And now this, I'm getting a bit nervous about it now. knifeparty420 and chris203 seem to like their magnaflows. Oh well, $40 + SH isn't too bad even if they sound bad. I don't think you CAN make a V8 sound ricey in the least and I hope I'm right.

WoodShoe
04-11-05, 10:37 AM
15.1 was on the OEM paper filter. Everything on the exhaust is still stock, except for those mufflers. I don't think that the K&N panel filter did anything but make it sound just a bit louder, which I was going for. I would not recomend doing a Cone filter, although the sound is unbeatable, It slowed down my ET's to a 15.3. I was also worried about putting those mufflers on. IMO a cadillac shouldnt really sound too loud when its driving. These ravens gave me a very nice and deap idle (big v8 scarry type rumbling noise) and when youre at WOT it screams pretty good, but nothing excessive like a camaro or say a mustang with exhaust. In the car you cant barely hear them over the screaming engine. On the highway it doesn't drone, and u can barely hear them. They are also pretty tame while crusing. . . I put those camaro tips on them, look cool i guess. So all in all I am very pleased with the outcome. I think sometime this week, before I get that nitrous on there, I am going to throw on a high flow cat, and get rid of the resonator. Again, I am worried about it being 2 loud. But I hope it will shave another .1 or .2 off my ET's.

95Concours
04-11-05, 03:07 PM
Magnaflows sound ricey??? Maybe in a honda they might... I have Magnaflows in my 95 Deville N*.. No rice here..... I love them, they are fairly quite at idle, but give a good throaty roar when you floor it... I was going to go with Flowmasters but decided a luxury car would sound silly with them (imo).

davesdeville
04-11-05, 06:08 PM
WoodShoe, if you remove the resonator try to note the differance in drone on the highway. I'm thinking of removing mine at the same time as I put the magnaflows on but I'd like to know what I'm getting into. Thanks.

WoodShoe
04-18-05, 01:25 AM
I've been really busy, so i haven't done that yet. And my firewire is not workin to good :hmm: anyway here is a pic for now I guess . . .

http://woodshoe.50megs.com/Picture%20006.jpg

davesdeville
04-18-05, 02:00 AM
Are those the stock tips?

WoodShoe
04-18-05, 02:20 AM
No those are just some cheepy camaro tips i got them to put on there. They fit perfectly into the orig openings. I made some vids, but cant post them at the moment

wake
04-26-05, 07:40 AM
.35 sec is a bit much for just mufflers, you think you got better traction this run? I'm about 1.5 hours away from sniping some magnaflows on ebay (if anyone is interested in magnaflows and reads this, don't touch they're mine :p )

You'd be surprised... My Corvette gained three tenths at the strip with only mufflers...

The stock muffler on any car is designed for quiet in mind... They're heavy and very restrictive...

My Corvette when stock was quieter than my old 94 Eldorado if you can believe that... I cured that problem with Flowmaster though... :D

My 98 ETC is too quiet for my taste, I may take a look into these Raven mufflers...

davesdeville
04-26-05, 07:00 PM
My Magnaflows are on as of Sunday. Surprisingly the stock ETC mufflers were very light. The Magnaflows are actually a bit heavier. I did one 0-60 test and picked up about a tenth, but it didn't hook up right away because of dirt on the road. So it should do better with more testing. It sounds pretty awesome if I do say so myself.

theonlytick39
05-19-05, 06:52 AM
id think magnaflow wouldnt sound good on these cars. but it all comes down to personal preference. its just ive had magnaflow on a few cars previously and it always made every car sound ricey.
the 40 series flowmasters seem pretty sweet. and theres a sound clip on here already...sounds very throaty. slap a 2.5inch universal hi flow cat, it enhanced my cars exhaust tone nicely ... id think ud be set.
if ud wanna go 3.0 u could and gain a couple extra horses over the 2.5inch and have the downpipe made to 3.0 as well, but it be louder. Depends if u care or not.
So where is this sound clip you speak of?

1fastSTS
05-19-05, 08:51 PM
i need a good day where i can get my damn labtop out and have my GF do whatever to set up a video while i drive, b.c i have no clue how to record video and set it up so everyone can see it on here...ill try this week. fri, sat, or sunday since i have days off.

WoodShoe
05-23-05, 12:29 PM
I have made a bunch of vids of the exhaust (idling, doing passes and interior WOT) but I have not found any webhosting service that will let me put them on (size etc.) it sounds like this at idle Caddy -"blom blum brrr blllblbubl blb blb" and during WOT Caddy - "bbwwwwwhhhhhRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" plus a "pppssshhhhwwwhhhhhhhhhhh" from the drop in k&n ..hope that helps lol :D

davesdeville
05-23-05, 07:12 PM
I'll host them if you want. Email is mediumd at gmail.com.

ktills45
05-23-05, 07:21 PM
I have made a bunch of vids of the exhaust (idling, doing passes and interior WOT) but I have not found any webhosting service that will let me put them on (size etc.) it sounds like this at idle Caddy -"blom blum brrr blllblbubl blb blb" and during WOT Caddy - "bbwwwwwhhhhhRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" plus a "pppssshhhhwwwhhhhhhhhhhh" from the drop in k&n ..hope that helps lol :D

:histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

Lmao, don't know about him, but that sure helped me (laugh) ;)

TexasAxMan
05-24-05, 04:08 PM
Yep, if it sounds like that, I'm convinced. I always wanted my Caddy to go "bbwwwwwhhhhhRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" or "blom blum brrr blllblbubl blb blb".

Hell, I don't need the video anymore!

dkozloski
05-24-05, 04:15 PM
Just so long as it doesn't go Plinkety! Plinkety! Plink! Instead of Varoom! Varoom!