: LOW FUEL = Get some ASAP (duh)

teros1
04-10-05, 02:21 AM
When the LOW FUEL warning comes up, get some quickly.

Do NOT wait for the fuel gage needle to slip to the left of "E" (as I've been able to do on every other car I've owned)!

My warning showed up this morning. I did about 20 miles of surface-street driving, then got on US101 for my final errand. Passing 80 mph, no fuel/engine dies...needle is right, exactly on "E". Pushed the clutch in, and "dead-sticked" it of the exit....

I thought that my fuel pump or fuel injection blew a fuse -- didn't even think empty tank. Called On*Star to see if I tripped a code. Prompt, efficient "nope, would you like a tow." (I walked to blocks and got some gas....)

Yes, in retrospect, I feel foolish (I have run out of gas maybe 2-3 times in 20 years of driving).

Don't let the fuel gage trick you into my plight! :rolleyes2

Bob

cdog533
04-10-05, 03:25 AM
Same exact deal with me.... Here's the truth:

Half tank on gauge = 99.9% of other car's 1/4 tank reading.

1/4 tank on gauge = 99.9% of other car's EMPTY or E reading.

E = Empty. As in may not go another 5 miles.

04-10-05, 09:10 AM
A ffew weeks ago I am on the highway; gauge says 1/4 tank. I say "self, remember to get gas sometime soon." It seems that as soon as I complete that thought, the "low fuel warning" goes on (it was literally just minutes from 1/4 to E; I look at gauge; it says "E."

Fortunately I was able to get gas within about 3 miles. It took 17.2 gallons on what is spec'ed as a 17.5 gallon tank. I couldn't beleive that it kept running.

djufo
04-10-05, 01:16 PM
Maybe the problem is in old cars and not the cts. Maybe this one is really accurate compared with old cars where you were able to run with the gauge saying "Empty" I dunno. just guessing

trukk
04-10-05, 02:09 PM
Gak. Me too.

In my estimate, once that 'low level' fuel indicator hits, you have about 1 gallon left. Get to the station ASAP.

This is th reason why I know fill my car as part of my morning routine. I drive about 80 miles round trip daily, so when I stop to get a diet coke, and power bar in the morning, I also throw $20 in the tank.

-Chris

lawfive
04-10-05, 02:25 PM
Ditto. I had this experience early in my ownership; I should've posted it as a warning. Had driven home the night before with the low fuel warning on; next morning it died on the way to the gas station.

dreamcarc6
04-10-05, 02:35 PM
Definitely good to know, as was said other cars let you go for like what seems like ever after the low fuel light comes on - not the V, low fuel light means get some gas now.

Rikmyster
04-10-05, 03:15 PM
I had a wonderful expierence the other night. Got in my V and saw the needle down So I headed to Shell. My light came on and the car died.

I called Onstar they sent My Caddy tech out to give me fuel. He was there in 15 mins.

He said that is happens daily with these and They are not like other cars.

I laughed, Especially when I can dump 1/2 gallon getting on the freeway and up to (90mph) <GRIN>

Zeke
04-11-05, 02:33 AM
Me, both my wife & I have run out- seems our V gets between 2 & 5 miles after the light goes on.

Unbelievable.

I seriously panicked the other day when the light came on again, this time on the Carquinez Straights bridge in Benicia.:eek:

Made it 3 miles to the gas station, phew!:o Seriously thought I would not make it.

Do Not push it! Or you will be pushing it.

Can this be adjusted? I would prefer 20ish miles (2 gallons) warning.

trukk
04-11-05, 12:14 PM
NUTSHELL:

Go to the closest gas station, when you hit 1/4 tank. Do not pass Go (or a gas station). Do not collect $200 (although you'll need that to fill the tank).

-Chris

benh
04-11-05, 08:37 PM
After the fuel gage on my 72 Olds convertible went back in the day, I used the odometer to track number of miles after filling up - been doing this ever since; never fails once you understand your car and mileage. PS I wish I still had that car . . . 350 rocket; center console; pwr brakes/steering; seat and other great options; not close to a V, but a classic in my eyes.

MikeF
04-12-05, 12:40 AM
I'll climb on that wagon. My first drive the low fuel light came on about 7 miles from a gas station, mostly an uphill twisty road. Unable to make 5th or 6th gear because of the tight corners and grade, I just drove in 4th at 2000 RPM all the way and it stalled empty exactly at the pump. Suuur -prise! An accurate gage in a GM car. Who woulda thought?

Dennisscars
04-12-05, 12:56 AM
I'm asking because I haven't checked...

Are the "miles remaining" on the computer close to accurate?

Good thing my wife doesn't drive this car, on her car she goes till the needle quits sloshing and then some.

StealthV
04-12-05, 01:15 AM
In my experience, the miles remaining is very accurate. The bad part about the low fuel warning coming on is the distance to empty display goes away. This leaves one with no clue how close to E one really is while you're running on fumes.

GM, if you're listening, make this "feature" less intrusive. :cheers:

Playdrv4me
04-12-05, 01:34 AM
Interesting... In my 86 K5 Blazer it was the same way... E meant E!! I ran out of gas once in it, which wasnt a big deal with a carbureted engine, but these EFI computer controlled gizmos can get messed up real quick without fuel to cool the Fuel Pump. My 04 Avalanche can go many many miles past "E". Im sure ive cut it very close a couple of times.

cdog533
04-12-05, 10:24 AM
I don't believe the Miles To Empty is even close when the tank is low. See my thread entitled "Stupid Crap Ass Miles to Empty Reading" http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24100

My MTE gauge can easily read 65-70 miles at 1/4 tank. Then, about 5 miles later, it says LOW RANGE. Now, a normal person would think that means you have 40-50 miles left, since it just said 65. HELL NO! It has like 15-20 miles. Maybe.

Here's a case study:

Filled it, says 315 MTE. Yeah right.

Drove 60 miles. Now it says 220 MTE.

Drive 60 miles now says 175 MTE. Ok.

Drove 60 miles. Now says 150 MTE. WTF.

Drove 60 miles. Now says 65 MTE.

Drove about 5 miles, now says LOW RANGE. I fill it, and its like a gallon from empty.

I agree, FILL AT 1/4 Tank...just like in the old Alfas and Porsches...This is so ridiculous. A BUNCH of us have run out of gas. And I'm willing to bet that was the 1st time for most of us since like 16-17 years old...The gauge/MTE came from a Cimarron...

Playdrv4me
04-12-05, 01:22 PM
I don't believe the Miles To Empty is even close when the tank is low. See my thread entitled "Stupid Crap Ass Miles to Empty Reading" http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24100

My MTE gauge can easily read 65-70 miles at 1/4 tank. Then, about 5 miles later, it says LOW RANGE. Now, a normal person would think that means you have 40-50 miles left, since it just said 65. HELL NO! It has like 15-20 miles. Maybe.

Here's a case study:

Filled it, says 315 MTE. Yeah right.

Drove 60 miles. Now it says 220 MTE.

Drive 60 miles now says 175 MTE. Ok.

Drove 60 miles. Now says 150 MTE. WTF.

Drove 60 miles. Now says 65 MTE.

Drove about 5 miles, now says LOW RANGE. I fill it, and its like a gallon from empty.

I agree, FILL AT 1/4 Tank...just like in the old Alfas and Porsches...This is so ridiculous. A BUNCH of us have run out of gas. And I'm willing to bet that was the 1st time for most of us since like 16-17 years old...The gauge/MTE came from a Cimarron...

I have never found these to be anything more than a general guide. Example, if I am driving around, and my LOW FUEL warning comes on the display, then I shut the truck off and turn it back on and sit their idling for 10 minutes, the estimated fuel RISES to over 45 miles again! If it says 50, itll go to 75 or 80 when you turn it on again and so forth. Then as soon as you take off and drive a 10th of a mile, it will go all the way back down again. The most accurate one I have ever had was in my BMW 330i, it never said low fuel on the display, it just kept counting down the miles until "----" showed up on the display.

RobzBLKV
04-12-05, 02:38 PM
I have found the "gallons used" reading to be fairly accurate. When it starts heading towards 17, I start planning my course to the nearest gas station.

I think part of the problem is that a gallon in the V lasts about 2 blocks while its 20 or 30 miles in other cars.

willsctsv
04-12-05, 05:11 PM
I haven't run out of gas in the V yet, but have been close. I take no chances the way this car sucks down gas. I see 1/4 tank I'm looking for a gas station. Besides I'm picky with gas. Sunoco, Mobil or Amoco. That's it! I don't want to be caught in a jam and put some no frills stuff in the V!

Playdrv4me
04-12-05, 09:57 PM
I remember reading along time ago on a very good scientifically based site that it didnt really matter brand-wise what you put in, rather the best thing to do was switch it up every week or so. The thinking was that constantly using one single brand of fuel would cause the detergents to "build up" as it were. By rotating through gas brands, you essentially would "clean out the cleaner" because each different brand would counteract the additives and detergents of the previous one. May be complete BS, but it sounded reasonable to me.

V-Max
04-12-05, 10:59 PM
I wish the low fuel warning would come on at the track like a few of us have found. :)

Norm