: Oil Change Nightmare

SoFlaV
04-09-05, 10:04 PM
I recently purchased a 2004 CTS-V used, 5300 miles, about a month ago. When I took it to a buddy for an oil change, he found a chunk of metal that looks suspiciously like it came off a rod bearing; it had a rounded cut on one edge and had a slight curved shape. When I contacted the local dealership regarding this, they told me to drive the car to them, and not have it towed. Cadillac Customer Assistance deferred to the dealership and wouldn't give an independent opinion.

The dealership has told me there is nothing wrong with my car, and that the metal is flashing from the block casting. Anyone else ever been given such a line, or had this happen to them? My friends at Chevrolet say this is ridiculous. I haven't had any engine noise or performance issues that suggest internal engine failure, but the dealership would not drop the pan to inspect for debris or check the pickup screen.

Any help is appreciated. I thoroughly enjoy this car, and don't want anything to happen to it.

lawfive
04-09-05, 10:24 PM
That's bizzare. Especially the part about your dealer not being willing to look at the oil pan.

lasstss
04-09-05, 10:24 PM
If it was a peice of rod bearing, you would know it, believe me! Its possible its a peice of flash if it was thin. If it was thick..1/8" or so could be a peice of piston skirt.. However ,because it cam out of the drain plug, I would go with block flash. It is possible. Boring and machine work is automated. JMO:hmm:

wildwhl
04-09-05, 10:26 PM
Figure it this way. If it IS a rod bearing or something that would prove to be catastrophic, it will happen soon while the car is still under warranty - and it will be covered I'm sure.

Casting flash? Maybe...probably not a bearing or you would have other signs.

There isn't much you can do about it, so I suggest not worrying about it and enjoy the car - that is what it was meant for :D

SoFlaV
04-09-05, 10:27 PM
But isn't this an aluminum block?

lasstss
04-09-05, 10:31 PM
But isn't this an aluminum block?

yes it is. what was the metal that fell out?

SoFlaV
04-09-05, 11:20 PM
It definitely wasn't aluminum, as it was caught by the magnet on the end of the oil drain plug. There were also several fine metal shavings that gave the plug a fuzzy appearance, which made my stomach sink when I saw them. Yet, Cadillac says nothing's wrong.

lasstss
04-10-05, 12:02 AM
It definitely wasn't aluminum, as it was caught by the magnet on the end of the oil drain plug. There were also several fine metal shavings that gave the plug a fuzzy appearance, which made my stomach sink when I saw them. Yet, Cadillac says nothing's wrong.
Possibly crank flash from a balancing hole that got missed.
As was said, if its quiet, dont worry. You have this documented I hope... just in case..

lawfive
04-10-05, 12:05 AM
Yeah, I was thinking that I'd like the dealer's "We're not going to investigate this" in writing...

CTSV05
04-10-05, 12:37 AM
Sounds like a small piece of a ring. Doesn't sound like bearing material to me.

Could be a small piece of debris as Lass, said too.

The fuzzy stuff, is normal wear and tear, up to a point, this may have been the first change too, do you know for sure?

jdodman
04-10-05, 07:58 AM
I would suggest you send your next oil change out for analysis. I do this once a year for my Grand National since I race the car. Kind of like getting your blood analyzed. They will tell you everything that is in your oil, including metal and the type of metal.

If I suspected something foreign in the oil (color change, floaties, etc) this is a good way to nail down what is going on and can also tell you if this was a single event or you have serious issue.

Well worth the $30.00 IMO..

urbanski
04-10-05, 09:51 AM
try another dealer?