: BANG! You're dead!

CVP33
04-09-05, 03:24 PM
My V that is. I had a service appointment scheduled for this coming Monday anyway to get the rear checked out. While going around a corner in first gear, I shifted into second and BANG no more response. Coasted to a stop and looked under the V. Fully expected to see a half shaft hanging, cracked diff' case or ripped driveshaft. But there was nothing. No fluid, nothing. Severe grinding noises though, coming from diff' or trans, I'm not sure which. Now she goes to the dealer on a flat bed. These are sad days.

StealthV
04-09-05, 03:37 PM
Doh. Good thing this happened now instead of with the Maggie. :)

CTSV05
04-09-05, 04:36 PM
Thank-God for warranties!!!!

Let us know when you find out the problem.

04-09-05, 05:27 PM
ouch.

check the part numbers to see if you get this mystery rumored upgraded rear diff (assuming that is the failure).

Good luck.

D

wildwhl
04-09-05, 06:52 PM
Crap....hope it isn't too serious.

Not the sweet LS6 though, so it could be worse.

I'm betting the rear diff....in fact I'll bet at least 3 fat tires, 2 Guiness or 1 Irish Car Bomb on that one (and BenJet should be here mometarily to try and destroy my rear diff, or pay up on the bet)....good luck CVP33 :hide:

carpe dm
04-09-05, 07:05 PM
Thank-God for warranties!!!!
Let us know when you find out the problem. Bummer!! Hope it works out well. :crybaby: :banghead:

cts-v ls6
04-09-05, 08:31 PM
Good luck, CPV33. Hope it all works out.

Geno
04-09-05, 08:38 PM
Ouch! I'm starting to get paranoid, this is becoming all too routine.:suspense:

Come on Cadillac, this can't be good for your "V" image or the bottom line...help us out.

heavymetals
04-10-05, 12:16 AM
RATS!
Sorry to hear your toy is broken.
Did you use Onstar for the call for help?

lawfive
04-10-05, 12:18 AM
Sux!

BliTzer
04-10-05, 01:14 AM
CVP33,

That sux fellow V brother, hope it all works out for ya & quickly.

Damn, too many problems to read about in here. I hope a majority of these problems are coincidental and not all of us find each of these fates upon us.
Not to wish anyone has worse or better than some have had. I just still believe in my heart that Cadillac is still a GREAT vehicle and when our short time of living on this earth is over, i hope each of us have had our dreams accomplished in some way, big or small. The smallest, at times to me, can feel like the biggest, like that smile everytime I start her up and hear that B&b exhaust & feeling the V's power all the way into my soul. Amazing, all from just a turn key movement.

Later..
BliTzer ;)

thebigjimsho
04-10-05, 04:15 AM
So........does anybody want to get a collection together and purchase a new diff from Cadillac and send it to Quaife?? I had emailed them about our issues a while back. They said they would look into designing a limited slip for us if we supplied a diff. If I remember correctly, we'd need to commit to at least 13 units. But I don't think that would be hard to do.

04-10-05, 08:27 AM
On the new diff analysis and purchase commitment, you'll have to check back with me in 6 years/93000 miles. That is how much longer I have on the diff warranty.

Of course by then I will be in the 2008 LS7 CTS-V, with no clunk, no hop, tires that last 50K, a carbon fiber and aluminum interior from the factory, digital onstar, integrated long range key/fob (:hmm: ), 35 mpg EPA rating, accurate fuel gauge, a 34 psi reading on the tire pressure readout.....have I missed anything?

(yes the weather is quite nice in my little dream world)

d

HDMLNIUM
04-10-05, 09:16 AM
CVP33,

Sorry to hear about you troubles..:helpless:
I hope you get it all back up and running soon.
Keep us up to date on it..

Bill-05-V
http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_CTS-V1.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_engine-yeah.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_BB-Baby.jpg
05 CTS-V--- Light Platinum
Llumar Clear Bra and Tinted windows, LS6 Emblem, Stealth-V z06 fuel rail covers and Cags Eliminator,
K&N drop in filter, B&B 3" resonator exhaust, BMR Toe Rods/Trailing arms, more mods coming..
Online Photos http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/

Kels55
04-14-05, 05:20 PM
Same thing happened to me Saturday.

What Happened?... The Drive Shaft tore apart on the inside and craked the Differencial housing. Result $4120 to replace it because it was all caused by the BMR AWK and therefore not covered by warrenty.

I fully suggest the everyone that has the BMR AWK remove it, and anyone that is thinking about buying it, DON"T.

What happens after you install the AWK from BMR, the driveline angle changes. This offset angle may not be noticiable at first but eventually you will begin to get a lot of added noise like whining and clunking and some vibration.

I had the AWK removed about 2 months ago because of all of the problems that it had created, but the damage had been done already. Saturday, with only moderately hard driving during the day, while shifting from 2nd to 3rd, I hear BANG!!!, followed by vibration and metal grinding. Pushed the car off the road and looked under it and saw no damage. Tried putting it in gear and all I got was what sounded like a metal plate spinning (grinding) against another metal plate but absolutely no motion being created, no matter the gear I tried.

The dealership started working on it Monday (10AM) and had it finished by Wednesday (3PM). The car drives like I pulled out of the dealer with a brand new V, so they did fix the problem, and the shifter feels tighter than ever.

So, you may ask, how do you know for sure that it was the BMR AWK? Because the dealer that removed the AWK said that it had changed the driveline angle and that was resulting in the added noise and the clunking sounds. After it was removed, there was no more noise or clunk and the vibration at higher speeds was gone. When the problem happened on Saturday, I had it towed to another dealer that had never seen it before, but after they looked at the damage they knew that my V had once had an aftermarket mod that changed the driveline angle, causing added stress to the Drive Shaft and Differencial. They also took the time to check my PCM and realized that I had a Superchips program installed which further influenced their decision to charge me full price for the repairs.

PS TO EVERYONE THAT HAS HAD A DESTORYED REAR: If you had the BMR AWK on your car at any time and had a differencial break or a drive shaft bust, then there may be a case here that can be brought against BMR for selling us kits that severly altered the driveline angle without warning us that it could cause damage to the rearend or force it to wear out before it's expected lifetime. Face it, paying $300 for a kit that will eventually cost you another $4000 is not the best investment and if you ask others on this forum, they will agree that the BMR AWK is worthless but I don't think anyone else is aware of the true results of installing this kit.

BY INSTALLING THE BMR AWK, YOUR DRIVELINE ANGLE WILL BECOME OFFSET AND WILL LEAD TO DAMAGE TO THE REAR (DRIVESHAFT & DIFFERENCIAL). IF YOU HAVE THE BMR AWK INSTALLED ALREADY, PLEASE REMOVE IT AND HAVE THE DEALER CORRECT THE ANGLE AND PRAY IT WAS NOT TO LATE (LIKE MYSELF)!

thebigjimsho
04-14-05, 05:28 PM
There are plenty of Vs on the road that are clunk, clunk, clunking away without ever getting a sniff of anything made by BMR. I'm not saying that the BMR kit doesn't affect your driveline angle and may eventually hasten a flawed rear, but there are plenty of blown rears as well that haven't been associated with BMR.

I hope the whole thing gets figured out soon. I really haven't seen anything near a definitive explanation for the fragile rears.

wildwhl
04-14-05, 05:32 PM
:hmm: Doesn't the dealer have to PROVE that the aftermarket part caused the failure before voiding your warranty on the part? Me thinks so...you need to be fighting tooth and nail here.

Big Bad V
04-14-05, 05:40 PM
Kel55, sorry to hear about your incident. As far as the BMR kit it sounds like your cradle bolts were never torqued down properly. You will get all kinds of noises from the rear if you don't torque the bolts correctly. I'm sorry to say it but you the fact that you had the dealer remove the kit is the reason you are paying for a new rear right now. There are alot of dealers out there that look for any excuse to not warranty your car. You should never give them ammuntion like that. I've never heard of anybody having a rear go because of the BMR kit changing the driveline angle sounds very suspect to me.

Craig

Kels55
04-14-05, 05:52 PM
Kel55, sorry to hear about your incident. As far as the BMR kit it sounds like your cradle bolts were never torqued down properly. You will get all kinds of noises from the rear if you don't torque the bolts correctly. I'm sorry to say it but you the fact that you had the dealer remove the kit is the reason you are paying for a new rear right now. There are alot of dealers out there that look for any excuse to not warranty your car. You should never give them ammuntion like that. I've never heard of anybody having a rear go because of the BMR kit changing the driveline angle sounds very suspect to me.

Craig

Wrong. They were torqued properly and it was not the same dealer that removed the kit.

wildwhl
04-14-05, 05:55 PM
Kels55 -

Sorry to hear of your loss. I still think that some phone calls are in order and that the dealer cannot simply assume that the BMR caused the failures. Was it the two piece driveline or one of the axle shafts that came apart? The axle shaft (half shaft) most certainly COULD NOT BE CAUSED by the BMR kit, as the geometry for the halfshafts DOES NOT change with the shims installed. Even so, the ever so minor amount the BMR changes the pinion angle should not cause any failure of this sort at all.

Again, I feel your pain, and still believe there must be some path to reimbursement.

Now the PCM mod...well, they have you there I suppose. But the minimal gain in HP is, well, minimal compared to what these parts SHOULD withstand if designed correctly :rant2:

By the way, I'm not a huge fan of the BMR kit but it does help the situation...I just find it hard to believe that it was the cause of your failure.

dreamcarc6
04-14-05, 10:04 PM
CTSV05, does your kit have the potential to do this at all? From my limited understanding of what your kit does, this would not be a problem, but I just wanted to get the warm and fuzzies by having you say so.

lasstss
04-14-05, 10:36 PM
I dont buy it! I have spent as much time under the V as anyone, that is why we have a center bearing so that the dif can move. The BMR doesent tip the diff it only lowers it slightly. An offset driveline would have taken out the pinion bearing or connection at the differential. Broken half shafts and split cases are not caused by a pinion angle difference. If they pulled that one me they would wind up in court, You got taken. IMO.. sorry to hear you had to pay for it.
I was an ASE certified general mechanic. all disciplines.. since expired.
I know a little about this kind of thing, just dont feel good about how they hosed you.:nono:

V-seriesTech
04-15-05, 07:46 AM
Wow, your dealers suck. Sorry.

Kels55
04-15-05, 09:21 AM
CTSV05, does your kit have the potential to do this at all? From my limited understanding of what your kit does, this would not be a problem, but I just wanted to get the warm and fuzzies by having you say so.

Correct, his system would not do this. The problem was adding the bushings and washers that come with the BMR kit. This raises the rear end (not noticable because of self leveling shocks). CTSV05's set-up does not do this and would be a much better investment in solving the wheel-hop issue.

Kels55
04-15-05, 09:45 AM
An offset driveline would have taken out the pinion bearing or connection at the differential.

The housing cracked at that connection, it did not crack the whole thing. They claimed that everything on the inside of the differential was fine, it was just cracked right at the connection with the pinion. They said the inside of the pinion, not the bearing, was torn apart.

Now they agreed that these parts are designed to handle at least a 10% increase of power over stock, but they came to the conclusion that I must have had some major torque running through the system to cause the damage I had.

Because they knew that my car had a suspension mod (although they where not the ones to discover the angle problem or the ones that I had remove the kit and repair the angle problem, they knew that I had a mod at one time and that it had changed the angle, adding stress to the system), and that I had dressed up the engine with StealthV's stuff, they felt the need to check my PCM and found the Superchips program. Even though Superchips claims only a 12 hp/12 ftlb increase, the dealer used this to further justify me being fully responsible.

lasstss
04-15-05, 09:54 AM
Im going to look at the prints again but there are 3 flex joints on that shaft. The BMR set up actually moves the cradle down about 1/4"? There are quite a few BMR's out there. I dont know of any other failures. BMR is pretty exhaustive in designing their stuff. Could have been a bad joint at the differential also.

JEM
04-15-05, 10:33 AM
:hmm: Doesn't the dealer have to PROVE that the aftermarket part caused the failure before voiding your warranty on the part? Me thinks so...you need to be fighting tooth and nail here.

The problem, of course, is that while Magnuson-Moss may require them to prove it, it may take weeks or months or years and a chunk of attorney's and engineer's fees to make your case, and there's no guarantees.

In Kels55's case the first dealer that saw the car flagged it in GM's computer, ensuring that any other GM dealer that saw the car would know what they'd seen. At the very least any warranty work has to be referred to a GM rep.

It's worth writing a few letters - to GM, not to any dealer, it's out of their hands now, if the dealer wrenches on the car without GM approval they won't get paid for it.

Kels55
04-15-05, 10:35 AM
The BMR set up actually moves the cradle down about 1/4"? There are quite a few BMR's out there. I dont know of any other failures.

That is what I was intending to say: It lowers the crandle but makes it look like the top of your trunk would be higher off the ground if not for the leveling shocks.

Yes, there are a lot of BMR AWKs out there and a majority of the people that report about it here have claimed added noise, clunking and banging sounds, and little to no improvement to the Wheel hop. And I was not the only BMR AWK owner that couldn't wait to remove the kit because of how worthless it is over all. By the way, I have almost 30K miles on my V (about 2500 to 3000 miles a month), so I do drive the hell out of it and maybe no one else has reached that type of wear and tear on a BMR AWK equiped CTS-V.

Dave's V
04-15-05, 11:16 AM
Cadillac can deny a claim for rear end repair for anything that increases HP/TQ or modifications to the rear end themselves. An aftermarket company will not guarantee that there won't be a problem caused by their design. While they have done research in the design of their product they can not economically determine every single driving situation.

Dealers are starting to crack down on warranty repairs. If they can prove that you increased power/torque or raced your car they'll have a valid claim. It is rumored that Mitsu searches the internet to look for people that race their Evos. They denied a local Utah guy an $8000 engine claim because they said he raced in SCCA. They now have the technology to be able to find out how you drove the car. Cadillac should not deny claims that show you used the full power of the car, unless you used full power for a good amount of time.

While this is not fair at times, people should not expect Cadillac to pay for damage that there mods caused. It is hard for them to prove that your mods caused the problem, but the burden of proof lies with you being able to prove that they did not.

You can thank lawyers and BS lawsuits for changing everything. Companies are getting tired of being sued for stupid crap. That is why aftermarket companies won't guarantee much.

dannystang
04-15-05, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't expect caddy to fix certain things if mods were done...But damn...

If you build a car in which trunk lock keeps breaking and some company builds an aftermarket piece to make the hinges not squeek and inturn the trunk lock breaks yet AGAIN, I would expect Cadillac to back it up.

Then again I do business with people and keep them happy, not close the deal turn and run. If I got stuck with for example fixing the rear with no warranty because I fricken went after an aftermarket part because the factory has a flaw I sure as sh*t never buy from that vendor again.

Neither would my friends, or friends of friends...

I have NEVER used a warranty on any car I have ever owned until I got the CTS-V.

I would definately call Cadillac and be blunt with them.

lasstss
04-15-05, 01:26 PM
I increased the horsepower in my impala ss to 385 at the wheels. Thats 440 at the flywheel approx. Many trips to the strip .. Never blew the rear or the posi unit... This diff is inadequate for the car plain & simple. This appears to be why getrag has clammed up... Some engineer screwed up!

Geno
04-15-05, 04:06 PM
I'd image that the majority of us bought this car because we have the financial clout to do it. There have been post after post after post on problems associated with the diff. If a dealership was so anal as to try to blame the owner for a part that MAY or MAY NOT have cause the problem, then they would simply perminently lose a customer. Now let's see, I have about 20 to 30 years left on the planet and lots of friends, that probably equates to a lot of lost Caddy customers.:sneaky:

wildwhl
04-15-05, 05:23 PM
Geno-

BINGO!