: Visability out of the car

carguy16
04-09-05, 10:24 AM
I dont know if you realize, how good we have it in our car. Everything seems to come together perfect, I can just turn my head and see around out from the inside of the car.

While my power steering leak is being fixed, im stuck with a Taurus, that thing has got more blind spots then I dont know what...The head rests, pillars, its a night mare to see out of that thing!!!

caddycruiser
04-09-05, 12:01 PM
Are you serious? :cookoo:

Between the relatively small and up high back window, the overall length of the car, and those damn little midget mirrors, manuevering this car definately takes some skill. Backing it into its spot in the driveway always requires either opening the window or cracking the door so one can stick their head out and make sure we're in the right vicinity.

I'm always shocked how much better I can see out of my mom's '04 Suburban in all directions, especially backwards--mainly because it has mirrors that are actually usable and not just an ornament. :mad:

CharBroiled
04-09-05, 12:43 PM
I agree that visiblilty isnt the greatest especially back. But when backing into spaces I love the power mirrors, just tilt them down till you see the curb or lines or whatever.

carguy16
04-09-05, 12:59 PM
Put those circular blind spot mirros on yours Caddy, man you can see everything, back that thing up like a pro!!!!
Are you serious? :cookoo:

Between the relatively small and up high back window, the overall length of the car, and those damn little midget mirrors, manuevering this car definately takes some skill. Backing it into its spot in the driveway always requires either opening the window or cracking the door so one can stick their head out and make sure we're in the right vicinity.

I'm always shocked how much better I can see out of my mom's '04 Suburban in all directions, especially backwards--mainly because it has mirrors that are actually usable and not just an ornament. :mad:

caddycruiser
04-09-05, 01:20 PM
I already can back it up like a pro (it was my daily driver until college), and am actually the best at it in the house, but I was just stating it DEFINATELY is not the easiest vehicle to see out of.

No little blind spot mirrors for me :thumbsup:

The Ape Man
04-09-05, 11:26 PM
You will really love your Cadillac after you get used to that Tortise.

davesdeville
04-10-05, 03:12 PM
Anyone who thinks they have it bad in a Fleetwood should check out the blind spot caused by the C pillar in an 92-02 Eldo. Backing up isn't that hard but to change lanes you look as best you can and pray there's not a small car over there.

adam_mcd
04-10-05, 04:37 PM
seriously, i dont think ive ever actually intended to back into a spot. i cant see around and front, but back or below...good luck, i dont even try. but im a good yachtsman so i know where im going.

taurus are the greatest cars ever! honestly, the taurus sho? greatest early-90's sports sedan ever. id be a great 2nd car, but i think i might just get a crx si from a friends family. damn gas; 2.75 for 92 octane! 3 bucks!! costs 70 bucks to fill up my tank

davesdeville
04-10-05, 06:44 PM
What're you putting 92 octane into? I hope it's not your 79 'cause 8.2:1 could run on 86 just fine. The SHOs are nice, I like the Z34 Luminas and 3100 Berettas GM made to fight them too.

CRXs are slow until you put some serious work into them.
1988 Honda CRX Si 8.2 16.4
1991 Honda CRX Si 8.7 16.5

The Ape Man
04-10-05, 07:06 PM
taurus are the greatest cars ever! honestly, the taurus sho? greatest early-90's sports sedan ever. id be a great 2nd car, but i think i might just get a crx si from a friends family. damn gas; 2.75 for 92 octane! 3 bucks!! costs 70 bucks to fill up my tank

Get yourself a spare ignition module so you don't have to park it for 2 months if yours fails.

adam_mcd
04-11-05, 04:27 AM
im dont care about speed (but i do love it, ill admit), just need a good sipper. the si gets about 30 mph, so itll pay for itself within a few months.

and about 92 octane, 87 (dont have 86) is 2.50. so for 3-5 bucks more, i get better mileage, runs smoother, and that feeling of 'i pamper my baby'. its an old temperable car with 160k, it needs it.

davesdeville
04-11-05, 05:05 PM
Way to completely waste your money. You won't get better anything with 92 on one of the lowest compression engines ever, it's all psychological.

BluEyes
04-11-05, 05:39 PM
Actually, lower octane fuel has more energy in it, and you can lose power using a higher octane than needed.
I've read peoples experiences with newer Camaros, actually lost a few tenths at the dragstrip running 100 octane compared to 92 that the car was designed for.

The gas station wants you to think it is pampering, but it is a waste of money unless your car is tuned for high octane.
Unless you have carbon buildup in the combustion chamber causing hotspots and preignition, then a car actually should be able to take lower octane gas with age due to more blowby getting past the rings and reducing the compression pressure.

If you want to run high octane gas though, at least take advantage of it and advance the timing.

juiceE
04-12-05, 02:51 PM
I Park/backup My Wood Blindfolded ... Chicago Style... Parking Isnt The Issue, Its "finding" A Spot!

adam_mcd
04-13-05, 02:28 AM
omg 'completely waste my money?' im pretty poor and frugal as it is, and an extra 4 bucks a week isnt doing any damage to my wallet. thats like saying '95 eldo? what a waste of money'

the owner before me said it was tuned for high octane, ive put regular in and can notice the difference. a bit more. im putting the baby up for storage till i can get enough time and dough for a rebuild and whatnot. shes given me a few good years, but its time to get a gas sipper. maybe put 92 octane in that and waste money because im stubborn

davesdeville
04-13-05, 03:26 AM
The only thing he/she could've done to "tune it for high octane" would be to advance the timing. Probably past the point of diminishing returns if you can actually notice a differance. You could probably do to retard the timing a little bit if it's that high. The only other thing might be if you happen to have serious carbon deposits or something, but you said you noticed a differance you didn't say "I hear a knock if I use regular."

My ETC isn't a waste of money because I actually get some benefit when I use it. It gets 86 octane as well BTW. You want to buy a car that's cheap on gas but you waste $4 per week on gas in your current car? :cookoo:

I'm not trying to be an ass but what I'm saying is fact.

adam_mcd
04-13-05, 03:46 AM
omg dude..4 bucks for peace of mind and even if the difference is all a placebo, its still 4 DAMN DOLLARS. haha, and about getting a gas sipper: late 80's crx: about 15 bucks to fill up, last me a few weeks with the way i drive. my caddy: about 60-70 to fill up, thatll last me a week (godforbid 87, 92, doesnt matter 4 buck diff). thats the difference i care about.

oh..im trying to insult your eldo (sorry, your etc)..do the new ones have standard bumper-sag, also? muhahahaha

BluEyes
04-13-05, 10:59 AM
$4 a week is $208 over the year. Hey, that'll pay the insurance on my five insured cars for two months...

A waste of money isn't something that costs alot, like a Cadillac - it is something that costs money (any money) and doesn't give you any useful benefit, or not enough return for the investment.

Unless the previous owner did something to alter the rate of spark advance as well as the base setting, you're not really getting much more. Yes, some gain in power, but unless you're out for every tenth in the 1/4 not enough to be worth it, IMHO. I played around with my '92 LeBaron. Advanced the base timing for 92 octane, but I have no way of altering the advance rate. Yeah, it was a bit faster, definately enough to notice and be a bit of fun, but not enough to justify the added expense, and no noticable change in mileage.
I see a '94 Brougham in your profile, and someone mentioned a '79 Caddy as well. I think some of the computer programmer deals can change the advance rate on the '94, so if that's the one and it is tuned for 92, I'd stay with the premium untill you find out exactly what was changed.
On the '79, I believe that has computer-controlled advance, but I don't believe that there are any devices out there capable of reprogramming them, so all the previous owner could have done was advance the base timing. If that's the case, just reset the base timing to stock, run 87, and see how it performs.

codewize
04-13-05, 11:20 AM
I don't know, there seems to be a lot of mixed reports here. I agree that the engineering of most Cadillac's definitely has the driver visibility in mind. I have almost no blind spot on either my 93 Brougham or my 89 STS. When ever I drive other non-Cadillac cars I to find myself trying to see but can't.

I think for the most part Cadillac does it right and I personally think visibility is exceptional.