: New Key FOB?

estatesatty
04-09-05, 08:39 AM
Alright I have one gripe about the V from the start. Why in god's name is a luxury manufacturer having two separate items for the key and the auto door opener? Even my VW Jetta and friend's Bug have the key and te auto door opener on the same piece. Is there any replacement, made by anyone, which would allow us to have both on the same thing?

Dennisscars
04-09-05, 11:21 AM
Try pricing a replacement for one of the swiss army door/key clickers and it will become clear.

V-Max
04-09-05, 11:22 AM
The FOB is used in the rest of GM's lineup. It is embarassing to find out your coworker's Monte Carlo uses the same one. Sure GM is cheap, the car was meant to drive not compare or gloat about your FOB.

Drive it!

Norm

Dennisscars
04-09-05, 11:28 AM
If someone built the "perfect" car none of "us" could afford it or Ralph Nader would kill it....

estatesatty
04-09-05, 11:31 AM
I know it is used throughout. My question was whether someone had found an alternative. As a note though, I think the FOB problem is a micrcosm of what is wrong with all American cars. There should be some difference between a V-Spec and a Monte Carlon. However, you look and see the buttons are the same, the key fobs are the same, and many of the internal components are the same. This is what has always turned me off about American cars. Look at the difference between say a VW Bug and an Audi A4. They are both under the Audi/VW umbrella, but the Audi has different and arguably much nicer internal components. You are getting what you pay for. The only American car I have seen on the last 25 years which starts to break from this mold is the V. IMHOP it is not great in differentiating itself, but good enough for the money. These are purely my opinions, but critics seem to agree. For Caddie to be successful with buyers like me, there SHOULD be a difference between the key FOB in a Monte Carlo and a V. The fact that there isn't is a problem...my question remains... any after market alternative?

crowan
04-09-05, 02:55 PM
Aftermarket key FOBs?:helpless: Someone please tell me that this thread is a late April Fool's joke.

I have found this forum to be an excellent source of tips and information about a great enthusiasts' driving machine. Fortunately, there are very few totally lame postings and a common theme in those is that they are usually written by people who don't own a V.

I have read many interesting posts on the forum regarding ways to make a great luxury hot-rod even better. But needing a better key FOB to be happy? Oh my God. :bonkers:

StealthV
04-09-05, 03:30 PM
Using a GM "standard" key fob is one reason the V is a bargain compared to competitve machines.

Higher volume = lower cost.

LV_V
04-09-05, 05:49 PM
I would like to find an aftermarket key FOB for real. I have three, of these only one still works, and even this one doesnt f'ing work more than 5-10 feet away. Piece of sh!t FOB's...

04-09-05, 06:32 PM
I would like to find an aftermarket key FOB for real. I have three, of these only one still works, and even this one doesnt f'ing work more than 5-10 feet away. Piece of sh!t FOB's...

The short range is likely not the transitter on the fob, but the location or reception of the receiver on the car. I have always had much more range on fob transmitters (including GM), like 100 feet, but all V and CTS owners seem to report crappy range.

As far as two failed transmitters, I dunno. I;ve been lucky and have only had to replace batteries.

don_mccarter
04-09-05, 08:47 PM
My grandson needed a FOB for his car. We searched the net and found this:

http://www.keylessride.com/

Dennisscars
04-10-05, 07:33 PM
This is a very nice fob and it's only $169, large.
go to features & specs then spotlight and click on smartkey. I'm sure "they" have thought of "everything"

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/models/features/specs/overview_engine.jsp&modelCode=S65&class=06_S&spec=0&menu=3_0

ndogg ct
04-10-05, 07:48 PM
my 50k infiniti does not have the key mounted on the fob either,not a problem for me?to my knowledge only the euro cars have this??

trukk
04-11-05, 12:25 PM
GM Fob's. Blech.

For the 10 days or so that I had my V, Envoy and Yukon, it took me 10 minutes to get into my car. Each looks exactly the same.

-Chris

Tuff
04-11-05, 01:49 PM
I test drove one of the upper class STS's the other day, and it doesn't even bother with a key. As long as you have it in your pocket, it knows you're there and you can fire it up at the push of a button

detv
04-13-05, 08:31 PM
I have confirmation GM will have STS entry sytem in 07 CTS. The fobs will look like expensive jewelery too (for marketing reasons and not cost cutting)!:bling:

homer403
04-13-05, 09:19 PM
Great, now I'll have to price that mod too :banghead: and make it work.

DMC-12
04-14-05, 02:36 AM
The short range is likely not the transitter on the fob, but the location or reception of the receiver on the car. I have always had much more range on fob transmitters (including GM), like 100 feet, but all V and CTS owners seem to report crappy range.

As far as two failed transmitters, I dunno. I;ve been lucky and have only had to replace batteries.

The FOB does not work at all in the parking garage at work. I have to press it against the rear windshield.. and hit unlock / or lock to get it to work.... :banghead: . I assume its an issue with the amount RF in the area, preventing it to work right (as there is a radio station, and an "L" train station in the same building).

Though.. at home, at the store..etc.. it works fine.