: Memphis Cops Love V

cts-v ls6
04-08-05, 10:25 PM
Well, I almost didn't post this because I didn't think anybody would believe me.

I got my V running about mid-January, and haven't seen any other V's on the road until today. I'm going to my first sales call this morning, and up ahead I see a red V taking an exit off of the freeway loop that goes around Memphis. "Cool", I think, "another V". I look in my rear view mirror, and there's a black V pulling up along side. Now I'm thinking, "It's gonna be a good day."

Little did I know.

Two hours later, I'm headed back to the office on Hwy 78, and a black and white Memphis police car with 2 cops in it gets behind me. I check speed and ease off of the gas. We've all done the drill--and my Corsa with the Random Tech cats sounds a little sporty. So I'm not looking for any trouble.

The cops pull up by my passenger side at the stop light, and the driver motions for me to roll down the window. I comply, and he says, "That's a nice ride! I've got a CTS, but it's not a V." I nod nervously, like I'm thinkin', "What the h** is going on?" And he says, "How much horsepower do you have?"--and so we're jawin' at the light and he says, "I want to hear it. When the light turns green, put the hammer down." Now I know I've died and I'm in the Twilight Zone. And I said, "Are you kidding me?" And he says, "No, get on it!" And I say, "You're not gonna give me a ticket are you?" And he laughs and says, "Naw! Show me what she'll do!" And I'm immediately thinkin' of the forum, and that they'll never believe this.

So the light turns green, and I let the one car ahead of me go through the intersection, and get about 200 yards on the other side, and then I drop it. Oh, my gosh! The Corsa sounded so bad at 6000 rpm! And of course I'm trying to look at some of the other drivers, and they all thought I'd lost my mind because the cop is now behind me, I'm in a 45 mph zone, and I'm closin' in on 80! So I get on down the road, slow down and I'm in the right hand lane and the cops pull up on my left hand side, and the cop ridin' shotgun rolls down his window, gives me a thumbs up, and yells, "That sob is bad to the bone!" Now I really think I'm on drugs and I'll wake up soon in the hospital bed. I'm even wondering if the nurse is good lookin'.

They both wave, change lanes, and turn at the next light. I know, I know. But it's the truth-I promise. I haven't laughed that hard in many a year.

From Memphis, I'm signin' off.

Jack

Geno
04-08-05, 10:33 PM
I quiting my job and moving to Memphis.:p

slow35th
04-08-05, 10:47 PM
Do you hear that sound? It's the sound of the alarm clock. Now stop dreaming, get up and go to work.:)

HDMLNIUM
04-08-05, 10:47 PM
Awesome story, Cops aren't always dicks. I know a couple and believe it or not, they are pretty cool guys.:thumbsup:
Those two cops that you ran into letting you do that with other people to see are few and far between I would think. Never the less, very cool!!!:cheers:

Bill-05-V

http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_CTS-V1.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_engine-yeah.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_BB-Baby.jpg
05 CTS-V--- Light Platinum
Llumar Clear Bra and Tinted windows, LS6 Emblem, Stealth-V z06 fuel rail covers and Cags Eliminator,
K&N drop in filter, B&B 3" resonator exhaust, BMR Toe Rods/Trailing arms .... More Mods coming..
Online Photos http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/

trekster
04-08-05, 11:08 PM
Good Story....As good as the Staged Police Chase someone posted a few months ago.

CTSV05
04-08-05, 11:53 PM
Excellent, I just hope you're not bull ____ting us!!!!

We're considering a move to Tenn. soon. sounds like an even kooler place than we thought!!!!

ctsvett
04-09-05, 12:38 AM
You're NOT going to believe what happened to me today.... These two girls with LARGE, round, beautiful...

wait that wasnt real....

On a serious note though, I have many cop friends.. And they all love the car. When I had my impala SS I would always race them ('cause it was kinda fair- they had caprices- FYI, I always won). Now they wont go against me... I do have some fun somtimes though... And even though its my buddy flipping on his lights (messing with me), I still get that lump in my throat right before I punch it and lose him...

Sweet story. It's always a nice reminder to know that the "boys in blue" are still regular boys...

Reed

kmhebert
04-09-05, 12:41 AM
Ha, that is definitely a great story.

BUILDINGCTSAMG
04-09-05, 02:35 AM
"Well I thought it was a wonderful story, and you told it so well with such great enthusiasm"

Really great story :)

M5eatr
04-09-05, 08:19 AM
I guess it has to be law enforcement love the V month. I had a little run in with Highway 1 in the Bronx. These guys are like the CHP's of Cali and they love to give tickets. I was southbound on the Hutch and was getting off the exit to I95 south maybe hitting it at 45. No tire squeel but it feels nice and I like to see the g meter hit .9. As I finish the turn there is the cop waving me over. Oh crap I think. I pull over and I see him look at the front, I have no plate there (double crap). Then he asks me if I knew that it was a 15mph exit speed (diarrhea, almost). He then continues to look the car over and says "I know you got a performance car and you can take the turn as fast as you were going, but you have to take it easy. Nice car." I say thanks officer, you have a safe day. By the way, I checked the next day the posted exit speed in yellow is 25mph not 15 as he had said. True story.

If you guys now want to hear about the time the policewoman who posed for playboy from the Bronx precint pulled me and the NY Knick dancers over.....

dannystang
04-09-05, 08:27 AM
I got pulled over by a bicycle cop down in South Beach a few years ago...

She pulled me out of the car, threw me on the floor, and really roughed me up, seems I had stolen my car (which I hadn't) and was high on drugs (which I wasn't)

She was kinda cute...Wierd thing is I kinda enjoyed it :)

Wish we had nice police people down here...

Groo-V
04-09-05, 08:48 AM
I got pulled over last night (68 in a 50 zone) and the cop after he radio'd in to check me out, came up to car, and after he told me why he pulled me over, just started asking all kind of questions about the car. How much power....how quick is it....how does it handle....can I see the motor, etc., etc. He finally said, and I quote "damn, if these things were automatics, I'd be screaming to have these as pursuit cars". After 15 minutes of car talk and no ticket, I was on my way. :dance: I love this car! Damn glad the cops do too!

darvish
04-09-05, 09:31 AM
Jack

If you are a Car and Driver reader, you HAVE to send that story in when they run the 10 best issue.. it usually has a category for 10 best cop stories.

And if it is published i expect a rack of Corkys... Rondezvous... or Germantown Commisary ribs to be sent to me.

Bill
St Louis

Elrod
04-09-05, 11:00 AM
Yep, You gotta hand it to those guys in blue. I think we ought to pay them what profesional sports is paying these days. Seems kinda backwards don't it? Risk your life daily for 22K a year or play baseball for 1.5mill a year. We have the pay scale backwards.

ELROD in Tennessee

wicked v
04-09-05, 11:40 PM
I happen to know a cop that owns a V and he is on this web site all the time. Just imagine being able to drive your V and not worry about getting a ticket, nice perk huh!

Dave's V
04-10-05, 12:03 AM
Great story! Some cops like to be a real pain in the ____, but some are real cool. My brother just retired from a certain state's State Trooper's force and he worked out my 98 Audi A4 pretty good (back in 99). I think he told his buddies that he was coming because the cops didn't move at all when went by them around 100mph. A lot of them are car enthusiasts also.