: Crown Cadillac - Watchung NJ

njsrx
04-08-05, 09:20 PM
:banghead2 We were looking for a SRX with a very specific color & trim level, but were having trouble locating one. After several call around the grand state of NJ, we found one that had it, Crown Cadillac. They said "yes, we have it right out back. In fact, we have 59 other SRXs in stock". WOW! So we excitedly packed into the car and headed off to Crown.

An hour later, we arrived and suddenly everything seemed to slow to a crawl. We were taken on a tour to see the dealership's silly Advanced Customer Service Terminal, which was nothing more than a silly ATM-looking machine with a card reader connected to a PC. (It in fact crashed during the demo and comically kept spitting out customer receipts every 45 seconds). All it did was show all the free car washes that I was going to get when I bought the car from them. It's one of those old-school sleaze tactics that try to get you to buy into a higher priced maintenance program with unneccessary services like 3k oil changes.

In sloth-like fashion, here's how things proceeded (SP=SalesPerson)

SP: "We have to enter your address and personal information into the computer."

ME: "I really want to know about the pricing."
SP: "Let's get your information in the the computer and then wecan give you pricing. That's how our computerized systems work."
:banghead:

ME: "Duh, OK. So, what about the current incentive programs (that I knew were running at the time)
SP: "uhh..I'm not sure".
ME: "HUH? (Aren't you a salesperson?)"
:bonkers:

ME: "But aren't you a Cadillac salesperson and shouldn't you know?"
SP: "Uhhh...I might have heard something about them"
ME: (blood pressure rising, receipts piling up on the floor).

SP: "Let's go look at the car"

Upon getting into the car....
SP: nervously mutters "oh, you know it has 2800 miles on this, right?"
ME: "HUH? I'm not interested in this"
:banghead2

ME: "Please check your inventory. I called and asked if you had this car, but all you have is a demo vehicle"
SP: "Oh it's not a demo. It's the OWNER's car. It's special"
ME: "So it's used"
SP: "It's new"
ME: "look, I'm really not interested. Please check your inventory and see if you have a new one that I was looking for"
SP: "That will take a while. I have to call out back"
ME: "HUH? I thought you had everything computerized. Every dealer just looks up a book or in their system. Why can't you?"
SP: "I have to call the back"
:bonkers:

I angrily take a walk and return a few minutes later.

SP: "We don't have the car. You didn't ask for a NEW vehicle when you called"
ME: "YAH, OK. SURE. You're a new car dealership and I asked for a 2005. My mistake, YAH"
SP: "how about we make you an offer on this."
ME: "NO"
SP: "What do you have to lose?"
ME: "OK fine"
SP: "How much do you want to pay?"
ME: (vile curses are brewing) "You offered to give me a quote so...do it"
SP: "Let me get the manager"
:helpless:

Another 10 receipts later, manager appears....

ME: "We're walking out in 5 minutes. That's how long you have to come back with a quote on this"

4 minutes later...

SP: "OK, here's the numbers."
ME: "These are $3000 HIGHER than every other dealer for a NEW NEW vehicle"
:leaving:

So...We left. The dealership is slime. I got three letters in the following two weeks thanking me for my visit, yada yada yada. The nerve of them to send a letter.

Disgusting. :rant2:

Dealers like that really destroy what precious little image people have of GM.

Fortunately for us, we found a dealership that was the moral and polar opposite of Crown.

powerglide
04-11-05, 03:19 AM
these slimeballs will say anything to get you there and give you the ole 'computer' BS to get your name and address.......makes me sick. Ive had similar experiences...but thats another post.

your post is real funny though! (receipts piling up on the floor).

glad you found one you wanted.

El Dobro
08-13-05, 09:21 AM
I've had really bad dealings with their service department. How do you forget to order an engine for a car that's down?!?! I will never go there again.

Joe Pagano
02-05-07, 10:18 PM
They are scum. My current lease will end on Feb 20 (Mercedes) and I have the need to both change up, and lower the nut. So my wife and I begin looking at several makes, Acura, Lincoln, Cadillac, Lexus and of course MB.
At each dealer I told the sales person right up front that I was SHOPPING, would NOT buy today and when I made a decision I would only take delivery on Feb 15th.
Well after a couple of weeks I decided on the CTS, 3.6 lux, blk/csh, nav, 17 in wheel package, moon roof, etc. After a few days the salesman called and said that he found such a car except the interior was black. I told him that I needed the final numbers to make a decision. Well this took several days and numerous phone calls. He finally gave me the numbers and I said it was a go.
Well I stopped by the showroom on Jan 31. They bored me for THREE hours and lots of paperwork. When I get the paperwork home, the numbers were correct, I found my payment date as the 30th. I called the finance guy first thing in the morning and said they had made an error. And the nightmare begins. They lied, mislead and BS'ed me for hours back and forth on the phone. What I finally figured out was that they did a DELIVERY on a vehicle that I didn't want for 15 days and they didn't even HAVE. I told them exactly where to put this car and stopped payment on my deposit check.
I will never set foot in that dealership ever again. I will bad mouth them forever.
But don't give up on me folks. I fould a great dealer (so far) at Royal Cadillac in Florham Park. They are tracking down my exact car, to be delivered on Feb 15th, AND $2.00 less on the monthly.................................

LLT
02-06-07, 07:23 PM
Demos are a big pet peeve with me. I won't deal with a dealer who allows them on high-end vehicles and doesn't put a "demo" sticker in the window. I become literally enraged when I waste my time only to find out it has 2500-5000 miles. It's used at that point. Yes, it hasn't been titled and they've used the Dealer tag loophole, but for all intents and purposes, it's used. I don't trust a dealer stupid enough to rack up that many miles on a $50k car.

RunningOnEMT
02-06-07, 09:52 PM
My parents live right down the street from Crown, and i've seen the SAME vehicles sitting on their front line for the past 6 months or so ...

ok now that aside, here's my little story about crown. I came in from out of state because they said that they had the EXACT CTS-V that i wanted in the price range that i asked for. I show up and granted i was in a rugby shirt and some torn jeans (admittedly not the most high class i've ever looked), i pulled up in my beat up VW GTI and asked a salesman where i could park, his answer instead of being, "the customer parking is right over here sir" was "this parking is for the dealership only, you'll have to find somewhere else to park if you're going to watchung" now WHY IN THE HELL would i cross 22 to go to watchung, thats dumb.
I proceed to find the parking on my own (which might i add is SERIOUSLY LACKING, only 4 spaces that i could see). I walk inside, and mill around for a second or two, thinkign hey they'll come to me and see whats up. I start browsing through the showroom, looking at their XLR-V thats on display. Oddly enough the only thing the sales manager said to me was, and mind you yelled across the room, "SON STAY AWAY FROM THAT CAR!". I was fully prepared to drop a nice cash downpayment and buy a car THAT DAY, but after waiting in the lobby for 20 minutes without talking to a single person, getting yelled at by a man who hasnt seen his own"package" in 12 years and still has the balls to call me "SON" i took my money and walked out and bought a V the next week at home in VA.

I'll drive up there and show them what they missed...and maybe even taunt that sales manager a little by asking a few rude questions, boy did he ever piss me off.

CadillacSTS42005
02-07-07, 10:29 AM
go for it
id do it in a heartbeat

Joe Pagano
02-08-07, 09:00 PM
Just wanted to update on my Crown story. Royal found my exact CTS, AND, guess what? $1,300.00 LESS up front and $2.00 less per month on the lease.
And I did make a formal complaint with GM's Cadillac Division.
Looking forward to our new ride...............................
SCREW CROWN...........................................

RunningOnEMT
02-10-07, 03:30 PM
(posting from scotch plains NJ at the 'rent's house)

Well i stopped by crown today, here's how THAT went

I pull up in my nicely washed/detailed redline CTS-V and proceed to be jumped on by not 1 but 2 salesman seeing how i liked the car, asking what they could do for me.

I walk up to the sales manager, bend his ear for a second, just to see what type of mood he was in... well he was in a bad mood already, which was good for me. I shot the shit with him for a second, well after a couple minutes i pointed out the window to my car, said "do you see that nice redline CTS-V out there? IF your salespeople weren't such *******s to me last month YOU could have sold that car to me!!! Here's a lesson for you, even the kid in the ripped jeans and rugby shirt could be a potential high dollar customer!"

Well he was none too happy, and as i drove away down the road i could see him yelling at the salesman who had ignored me last month! VINDICATION!!!!!!!!

urbanski
02-10-07, 03:50 PM
:haha:

Sandy
02-10-07, 07:54 PM
Joe Pagano, you really made me howel with laughter!

You see, I hate to tell ya this, BUT.....
Crown Cadillac and Royal Cadillac are 1 in the same! They are the same owner and the same management team. I have gone to both of them, for service. I was satisfied at both, but found Royal's prices higher. Neither is convenient for me, both are a "trip" and a half, which is why I switched to Lincoln, and have found THE best car dealer on the planet, at Maplecrest Lincoln-Mercury in Union.

Regardless, Sam DeFeo and crew are the owners of both Royal & Crown, named after his favorite booze, Crown-Royal and his wife's favorite Soda Pop, Royal-Crown.

Should you ever go back to CROWN on Rt. 22 (Showroom) ask for John Restivo, and you tell him that you were sent to him, by me. John & I go back a long way and he'll treat you correctly & with honesty & dignity.

RunningOnEMT
02-10-07, 08:00 PM
Joe Pagano, you really made me howel with laughter!

You see, I hate to tell ya this, BUT.....
Crown Cadillac and Royal Cadillac are 1 in the same! They are the same owner and the same management team. I have gone to both of them, for service. I was satisfied at both, but found Royal's prices higher. Neither is convenient for me, both are a "trip" and a half, which is why I switched to Lincoln, and have found THE best car dealer on the planet, at Maplecrest Lincoln-Mercury in Union.

Regardless, Sam DeFeo and crew are the owners of both Royal & Crown, named after his favorite booze, Crown-Royal and his wife's favorite Soda Pop, Royal-Crown.

Should you ever go back to CROWN on Rt. 22 (Showroom) ask for John Restivo, and you tell him that you were sent to him, by me. John & I go back a long way and he'll treat you correctly & with honesty & dignity.

i would beg to differ i do believe that John is the gentleman who blew me off ...

Sandy
02-10-07, 08:27 PM
Never say never, and I'll not say that's not possible, but it's certainly outta character for John Restivo. I've known him since way back when he sold Pontiacs. He's not that way - but then again, he could be "burned out" from the business. Like I said, I would NOT say "Never" ~ but I would say "hard to believe" as he had a reputation as a nice person and a caring salesman. John, as you know, is a very common name.

RunningOnEMT
02-10-07, 08:30 PM
:thumbsup:

can't catch everyone on a good day, but i was VERY put off by the sales MANAGER there, to me thats more important than the salesmen. You cannot function well without a good manager.

I am in no way trashing your friend, just saying that this particular event soured me on the dealership as a whole. Nothing personal but i would never give them a dollar or another minute of my time!

Sandy
02-10-07, 11:52 PM
I understand. Truly, I do. It is THE reason, that I switched from 2 consecutive Cadillacs (1988 & 1993 - still own the '93) to Lincoln.
My choice was either Royal or Crown, and BOTH are a trip for me, neither is in my "backyard" ~ I got good service at both but at absurb prices. I mean I was charged $500 for a power trunk pull down motor on the '88 and $56. for a new cornering lamp. So, I made the switch and have been extremely happy with fabulous service at "Ford" prices. However, they fired the showroom managers & hired a pack of wolves from the university of rip & tear, and I've seen people walk out in discust. I, however, buy from the owner, as he used to be a neighbor of my parents, when they were alive. So, I deal with him. He charges me $500 over invoice and hands me invoice. This is fair & just.

http://www.smatarese.com/forum/sandy/

http://images19.fotki.com/v207/photos/4/43979/179078/sandy4-vi.jpg?1124100164

Joe Pagano
02-18-07, 08:17 PM
Just a follow up. I did pick up my CTS Thursday. Very satisfied. What a good looking mid-size ( a bit smaller ). The fiasco at Crown turned out be be a win, that cashmere interior makes a huge difference. Returning the Benz was bitter sweet. That 03 E500 is a fantastic vehicle, and the new 07 E550 is even a step above.
After 4 days I think we took a big chunk out of the setup/programing process. The pre sets, nav, phone, keys, seats, SWC's and home link.
I also found some oval chrome exhaust tips on EBay, got them last week, and they fit like a glove with only two small bolts to tighten. They look better than OEM. Will tint the glass Tuesday and have remote start installed ASAP.
As far as ownership of both Crown and Royal by the same group I don't think that it matters. Each location is responsible for it's own image and reputation and that specific management team should take the heat for screwups.
Alls well that ends well.......................................

jdonlive
11-12-08, 03:01 PM
Sandy, your right about John Restivo, he's the best in the business and his knowledge and professionalism is second to no one, but after that it goes down hill fast. The sales manager Blake uses back room tactics, bait and switch, and even has to nerve to over dramatize credit arrangements leaving you hanging for hours, then coming out with some shocking revelation they worked their asses off but were able to get the credit you were seeking. One problem, they never tell you the original deal changed and the terms are considerably different ($50 more in mo pmnt, & thousands more down). After realizing the new deal by reading the lease agreement, Kevin the finance mananger starts squirming after probing about the increases and asking about more favorable terms, but in the end after much negoitiating, it all falls on deaf ears. Then they start the tag team with another Mgr (Odyessus) talking, trying to take our mind off the new deal, and trying to confuse us, then they end up giving us a back room loan for the down payment (thousands more) with terms that would make a shiloc choke, but eventually we gave in to the terms (they just beat us down after 6 hours). 2 weeks later after living up to the agreement, they tell us we cant get the lic plates we paid for until their shady loan is paid in full. This guy Blake used deceptive and fraudulant practices as did his his side kick Kevin and we are pursuing options with GM, the NJ Attorney Generals office, the NJ dept of consumer affairs, and of course many of the complaint bloggs on the internet. This is one slimy dealer to say the least (trying to keep this clean), but keep in mind this is a company run by the Difeo group, and if you check the complaints, they are endless. I can't imagine why?

By the way, during this 6 hour waiting ordeal, 6 people who were negotiating all walled out, and all we heard were "those customers are a peice of shit". I didn't realize it at the time, but that's what they were saying about us, but with a smile. I just came off a lease with a Mercedes Benz E350, but opted to buy from an American car compnay, and I can tell you the treatment from a world class company Like MB is in another league, no, another universe and to be honest, makes you wonder why the american car compnay''s are doing so poorly. Let's hope Congress doesn't bail GM out. Buyer beware!!!!!!!

jdonlive
11-12-08, 04:18 PM
Complaint update.......

After several conversations and probes into this matter by GM, they refered me to the General Manager Andreas Odeyessus to try and resolve my issues.

Well......this has been some experience, as he starts with "what do you want", and as I started to explain not even getting in a sentence, he starts saying if you had a problem why did you buy the vehicle, not allowing me to get a word in, so I said you asked me the question, are you going to answer it for me, then he says I'm not talking to you, your an ass, and hangs up......this guy's a Greek immigrant, so this must be a cultural thing to be rude and arrogant.

Ellerto
04-23-11, 02:29 AM
I recently leased a CTS from Crown Cadillac. My first thoughts were not good. I probably don't fit the bill of a Cadillac buyer. I am an AA man middle aged, who looks young for my age. I was not dressed the part the day I shopped for the car. I was in jeans and a black leather jacket. I stood on the floor on a Saturday afternoon in March. No on approached me for 20 minutes. I like to walk into a dealership and see just what kind customer service a dealership has. Well I almost walked out before the FI guy came up to me (after just glaring at me for 15 minutes). There was one sales guy sitting at a desk that did not have a customer that refused to approach me. Finally the FI guy did approach me and went over and got me a sales person. I should have just walked then in retrospect. My salesman was nice (Mike). He took care of business. But I couldn't get over the coldness of most of the other staff in the place. The sales manager was very unfriendly. Most of the other salesman wouldn't even look my way. I felt very uncomfortable in the place the whole 4 hours that I spent there.

I wanted the car pretty badly, had good credit. So, I took the car home that day. I noticed that they did a real quick job on getting it ready for delivery. Even the car jockeys had an attitude. I waited over 3 weeks before I heard about getting the plates for it. I had to call them to be exact. The next day I get a postcard just as I am leaving for the dealership to pick up the plates. Obviously, the salesman notified someone and they rushed out the notification to pickup the plates. I bought the base model which did not come with a spare tire for some reason. Just a run flat kit and a tire pump. What a rip off.

I also bought the glass etching for security. I was given the runaround by another salesperson to go back to the service department to get the glass etched. After being corralled around like cattle rudely, I was sent back up front to my salesperson who is supposed to do the etching. Now I have to go back and have that done. He had a customer and I did not want to spend hours waiting around the showroom to have this done. My salesperson did tell me that anyone could do this for me, but no one seemed willing to pitch in. Oh, about the spare tire, I was quoted a price of $450 dollars to buy a doughnut spare. What a ripoff. I thought when you bought a "premium" car from a company that was about to go out of business, that you would get premium service. Well, I see that is not going to be the case here. I will never purchase a car there again. American car companies should get with the program. It is really easy to see why General Motors is in trouble. I am not looking forward to the next three years of getting "service" from this dealer.

Rolex
04-24-11, 02:19 PM
I am an AA man middle aged, who looks young for my age. I was not dressed the part the day I shopped for the car. I was in jeans and a black leather jacket. I stood on the floor on a Saturday afternoon in March. No on approached me for 20 minutes.

You dressed like a slob, went shopping for a luxury car, and you're surprised that the salesmen weren't fighting over you. Okay, what did I miss? Go back in a suit with gold cufflinks, shiny shoes, and a Rolex watch and they would claw each others' eyes out to get your attention. The fact you were ignored has everything to do with perception and little to nothing to do with the fact that you're middle aged and AA. Perception is everything. When I go car shopping I borrow my FIL's plane jane car and go in rags too. I may make a six figure salary but I don't have "sucker" written across my forehead. ;) You can't have it both ways though.

Several years back I read a story about a church that was getting a new preacher. On the preacher's first day he dressed in dirty rags, he didn't shave or bathe for a few days before, and he came into the church and sat by himself. Nobody greeted him and people made a point to avoid him because of his unkempt appearance and malodor. He didn't get up and reveal himself to the congregation until 15 minutes after the service started. It was no surprise that people avoided him (human nature), and of course he pointed out the obvious flaws to his new congregation. I'm sure he made one hell of a first impression, and drove home his point. I'd say you were doing the same, but I hope you're not eluding to the idea that you were ignored based on your race.

I bought the base model which did not come with a spare tire for some reason. Just a run flat kit and a tire pump. What a rip off.

I stand to be corrected, but even the top of the line V models come with the same. The idea is sold as a "weight saver" but I agree with you that it's a cheap route. I bought a top of the line truck once that came without floor mats. I actually had to buy floor mats for a truck with heated leather seats, navigation, dual climate control, etc. It's just nickel and dime cheap BS.

In my humble opinion you should choose where you spend your hard earned money more wisely my friend. People in sales have a job to do, and part of that is making you feel like you're well taken care of. If they don't do that and you take their abuse and still buy for them then you deserve exactly what you get. Either demand better and spend your money elsewhere or eat crow and gripe about it on an internet forum afterwards....I guess. :pwn: