: Gasket

inconnu
04-08-05, 05:52 PM
Tomorrow i am getting the valve cover gaskets and the serpentine belt changed along with spark plugs the guy who is doing it says that it is a pain in the neck to take off the valve cover on the passanger side and he has to take off the fuel lines etc etc.
Could you guys tell me how much time should take him to finish the above menitoned job assuming that he is an average mechanic and has all the tools required to do the job
Thanks

Vesicant
04-08-05, 06:50 PM
About an hour or two for each side. Thats just getting the valve cover off. Fuel lines going in the engine compartment can be taken off quite easily.

The Drivers side is actually the hardest, the least room is there.

Is there some time constraint?

Although this is a 2001, you can see what i mean: http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/CadillacCatera/Images/Engine.jpg

inconnu
04-08-05, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=JefferyG]
Is there some time constraint?

No there is no time constrain i just wanted have an idea how much time would it
take .
Jeff is it reoccuring phenonmenon in 97 Cats blowing off the valve cover gaskets
Thanks

Vesicant
04-08-05, 08:21 PM
Seems to be any year Catera can have valve cover/gasket issues.

inconnu
04-08-05, 08:50 PM
Seems to be any year Catera can have valve cover/gasket issues.
Sorry i forgot to ask in the last post that is it necessary to change both the gaskets at a time because the one on the driver side looks alright
Thanks

omermurat
04-08-05, 10:53 PM
Getting both sides done is a good idea as the intake manifold & runners must be removed for this job which is essentially half of the job itself.