: HID aftermarket retrofit

AllenPacla
04-08-05, 02:08 PM
Has anyone among you Catera owners done this? I have been reading about all the available brands and different sellers. Any opinion on which one to buy and which seller to transact with? I have seen Helios kits, Philips Kit and this McCulloch kit. So far the latter is the cheapest, but I am not sure if it's a good trade off than going for the more expensive ones but with known brands. Any advice is most welcome.

CateraSport
04-08-05, 04:25 PM
Since the Catera Sports come with factory HIDs, why go aftermarket??

I would suggest doing some research, and see if you can just pick up a set from a salvage yard or gmpartsdirect.com and do the swap.

AllenPacla
04-08-05, 06:33 PM
But would it fit? My Catera is a 97 and I am wary about reports on bouncing with some Catera HID headlights. I'll check some yards around here if I can find one. But for less than 300 bucks, I could get the retrofit and then in case I want to dispose of the Catera, i can easily pop back the H7 halogen and remove the set up. Hmmm...i'll have to think about this hard. The foglight HID i bought sure did make me think hard on getting the headlights as well. The performance is just way beyond what a halogen headlight can offer.

omermurat
04-09-05, 12:04 AM
Try Sylvania Silver Star for $40 a pair. It's as white as a standard H7 can get without breaking any possible law, and no modification is needed.

I've been using them on my Catera and they are very well worth their price.

AllenPacla
04-09-05, 04:07 AM
I'm telling you, I am already using PIAA Extreme White lights, but after i installed an HID foglight, they PIAA suddenly looked like an old halogen that needs replacement.

Chaztera
04-11-05, 03:55 PM
I have a set of the Sylvania Silver Stars that I bought for My 2001 Catera Sport & I found out later had the HID's. Anyone want to buy them for $25.00 the pair + frght? (est. $5.05 UPS) Still in their original plastic sealed box. These work for both High & Low beam on non-HID systems. ( I believe these will fit 2000 & 2001).

CateraSport
04-11-05, 03:58 PM
I'm telling you, I am already using PIAA Extreme White lights, but after i installed an HID foglight, they PIAA suddenly looked like an old halogen that needs replacement.

Where did you get your HID foglight? My stock foglights look dull to my HIDs, and it would be cool if I had HID foglights and headlights.. Thanks

AllenPacla
04-11-05, 07:05 PM
I bought the one offered by Sylvania, it's the Xenarc X1010. And it's low beam so, it's design to complement low beam headlight. Is your HID headlight OEM or a retrofit one?

CateraSport
04-12-05, 12:47 PM
OEM stock sport HIDs

supra1997
04-25-05, 03:33 PM
Go to www.rjdezignz.com (http://www.rjdezignz.com) for a mcculloch HID conversion kit. I have them on my 1999 Catera sport (didnt come with HID's) and they are great! They install easy and no modding required.

AllenPacla
04-25-05, 09:10 PM
I already got one off ebay, got them for a cheaper price than the link you posted. And the performance is way better than ordinary halogen. So, my foglights are HID, my headlights are HID, I can't be happier.

Vesicant
04-25-05, 09:32 PM
I already got one off ebay, got them for a cheaper price than the link you posted. And the performance is way better than ordinary halogen. So, my foglights are HID, my headlights are HID, I can't be happier.

Post some pics! - id love to do this on ours' :bouncy:

AllenPacla
04-27-05, 12:17 AM
I took a photo this evening, and here it is. In the photo, there was glare probably because of the camera reacting with the light, but in actual view there is no glare. I have been working on the aiming mechanism of the headlights lately so i was able to aim them properly that they won't be to bright for cars coming across me. And i also opted for the 5000K instead of the bluish 6000K for the headlight because i wanted the most light output. The headlights were not as blue as the foglight which is just fine.

omermurat
04-27-05, 12:54 AM
That's it.. Please tell us the source as I am sold :o)

AllenPacla
04-27-05, 02:17 AM
Well, the HID conversion kit wasn't that cheap, they cost $285.00 which includes a wiring harness that is suppose to protect the oem wiring of the Catera or any other car that uses the kit. The source of power will be directly from the battery, the switch will just serve as a trigger for the lights to turn on. DRL worked just fine since the Catera uses the high beam for that anyway. But i found out that they are coming from Hong Kong, and I am currently inquiring from a friend of mine who is there to ask for the prices of these kits directly from the seller. I am thinking that they might be a lot cheaper if bought direct. The only problem with that arrangement is warranty, not that there won't be warranty, it will just be troublesome due to the shipping involved. But since the seller here in the US uses the same method, then even if you bought it here, when it calls for a return or a replacement, they will as well need to ship the product back to Hong Kong so it's basically the same thing. I haven't heard from my friend yet, but in case I get the price and it's good, maybe we can arrange for something. The foglights, are made by Sylvania (Xenarc). Alone, the foglight seems to be not giving a lot of light output, but if it's used with a conventional Halogen lamps, the result is just wonderful. That is why, when i bought the HID conversion kit, i decided for the 5000K so that i will have the maximum output without the yellowing color if you go to a much lower Kelvin color than that. I'll post whatever i get from my friend.

omermurat
04-27-05, 07:57 AM
Thanks. I am looking forward to hear from you (I believe I speak for most of us :))

supra1997
04-28-05, 12:25 PM
The kit I got at www.rjdezignz.com (http://www.rjdezignz.com) may be a little more expensive, $329.99 compared to $285.99, but they are located in Ohio. They warranty the bulbs and everything else included and ship for free. Plus if you do the research, the mcculloch HID's are the best kit on the market today. The shipping back to them for warranty purposes is free and only takes a few days to get your new proucts back. I know the guy pretty well also, and maybe if we get enough people on here together, he will do a group buy and cut us a deal. E-mail him at sales@rjdezignz.com and I will let him know of the interest.

AllenPacla
04-28-05, 03:11 PM
Well, the seller that i bought the HID kit from is actually from the States and they also provide warranty for the product and they are also McCulloch kits. If you were reading my post, i was saying that the kits are originally coming from Hong Kong. I didn't say i bought it from someone in Hong Kong. And I would take the guy i bought the kit from anytime of the day, because he is so helpful and reply to e-mails and queries very promptly. And if my guy can sell it for 285 dollars, basically the same kit as the one you are advertising, your guy should be ashamed of himself. And by the way, my kit came with a free wiring harness that further protects the original wirings which if you would buy will cost at least $30.00

supra1997
04-29-05, 11:15 AM
Im not trying to say that the $285 price is not a great deal. Im just giving some people out there a little bit of options. My guy is actually a great source for the newest Mcculloch HIDs. They come with the harness, and the shipping is free. Im not sure if the shipping on yours was included with the $285 price, but it is $329.99 shipped and ready for install. Maybe you can get a group deal together and I can have him put a price together for everyone on here.

AllenPacla
04-29-05, 03:21 PM
Hey, i am not here to promote the HID kit i have installed in my car, i am not even posting links to where to get them. I come here to check on common problems with my car and share my experiences that may be of interest to other owners. I don't know about you. I visited your friends website, and i don't see them including the special wiring harness that i am talking about, which i guess you don't know. I don't even care if all of them here go to the site and buy the kit. That is the least of my concern. We post here for a common goal, that is to take better care of our car which is the Catera. For all i know you may not even own a Catera and is just here to promote that HID kit. So if I were you better watch out because people here are definitely watching. I don't know if they have strong rules here when it comes to promoting or selling things like some other sites that I have visited. Hmmm.....What do you say Jeff?

overplayed
04-30-05, 09:04 AM
:cop: Why you so catty?:cat:

supra1997
05-01-05, 05:28 PM
Here are pics of my catera (since I prob. dont own one, right AllenPacla) I have all the problems that everyone else on here is having, and I wish that I never would have bought the car in the first place. I have had nothing but problems with the car since I have had it. Its in the shop as we speak! Im just trying to help all the people get the HID kits they are looking for.

http://members.cardomain.com/catera1999 (http://members.cardomain.com/catera1999)

AllenPacla
05-01-05, 08:48 PM
You've had all but problems since you bought your Catera and you thought about buying an HID headlights for it. If i were in your position, I would solve all the other problems first and then when everything is running fine, then I would go with the cosmetics for the car. That would be money spent wisely, and if you only waited a little I could have provided you with the link to the seller of my HID kit which gives it at a much lower price than the one who sold it to you plus the special wiring harness plus free shipping plus headache free transaction.