: Corvette News

BeelzeBob
02-10-03, 09:10 AM
The base model C6 (due to arrive next spring) will sport a 6 liter engine (No more 5.7 liter) and will make somewhere around 400hp or so. The following year will bring the convertible and the Z06. The Z06 will be using a 6.4 liter engine and should crank out around 500hp or more. RPM's have been limited to 7k but the engine was designed to push out 9k RPM.

I don't think anyone should get too excited about any rumors or anything that Cadillac is going to exceed the performance of the Corvette - ever.. The Corvette is GM's race car. The Cadillac is GM's luxury car that kicks ass...

Brett
02-10-03, 09:21 AM
whats your source on this...im not doubting, it sounds reasonable...just curious

BeelzeBob
02-10-03, 09:25 AM
Just a member on a Corvette forum that seems to get respect from most of the other forum members.. We're getting closer and closer to the C6 release, so.. We're probably getting more accurate information nowadays...

If Chevy gives Corvette buyers anything less, it would basically mean they've thrown up the white flag and come to the understanding that they're no longer America's best sports car. Personally, I doubt they're ready to simply give that up...

BeelzeBob
02-10-03, 09:27 AM
He also mentioned that the curent 345hp 6 liter engine on the Full Size pickups and Escalades, is being pushed to 400hp and that this will happen in the next model year (2004 due to appear in fall 2003).

Brett
02-10-03, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
Just a member on a Corvette forum that seems to get respect from most of the other forum members.. We're getting closer and closer to the C6 release, so.. We're probably getting more accurate information nowadays...

If Chevy gives Corvette buyers anything less, it would basically mean they've thrown up the white flag and come to the understanding that they're no longer America's best sports car. Personally, I doubt they're ready to simply give that up...

everything sounded right but the Z06 hp seems high...that will definitely kick the price of that way up...probably in the high 60's i would imagine

Brett
02-10-03, 09:30 AM
He also mentioned that the curent 345hp 6 liter engine on the Full Size pickups and Escalades, is being pushed to 400hp and that this will happen in the next model year (2004 due to appear in fall 2003).

they're gonna need it..."the most powewrful SUV on the planet" is not gonna be with the intro of the turbo Cayenne...i realize they are very different machines but nevertheless the porsche will be the most powerful

BeelzeBob
02-10-03, 09:32 AM
The Z06 costs the same as the regular C5 as it is now.. It costs less than the convertible.. It wouldn't be unreasonable to raise the price of the Z06 if it's going to take on the likes of the $75,000 Dodge Viper..

Keep in mind that the ZR-1 was about $20k more than the regular C4 back in the 90's...

Devil_concours
02-10-03, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Brett
they're gonna need it..."the most powewrful SUV on the planet" is not gonna be with the intro of the turbo Cayenne...i realize they are very different machines but nevertheless the porsche will be the most powerful

even dodge's hemi v8 is rated at 345. They definitely need another power boost in both gasonline and turbo diesel engines

Brett
02-10-03, 09:34 AM
The Z06 costs the same as the regular C5 as it is now.. It costs less than the convertible.. It wouldn't be unreasonable to raise the price of the Z06 if it's going to take on the likes of the $75,000 Dodge Viper..

Keep in mind that the ZR-1 was about $20k more than the regular C4 back in the 90's...

i agree 100%..i was just pointing out that current pricing levels would be hard to maintain...but my opinion of the z06 was always bump the hp and bump the price and it would be fine with me...i believe they will keep it less than viper though

BeelzeBob
02-10-03, 09:40 AM
Yeah, probably less than the Viper.. I'm still shocked at what Dodge put together with the Viper.. Still, I think Corvette wants to have a fairly comfortable car. I wouldn't be surprised if the Vette isn't faster than the Viper - as long as it's close. I'd take a few tenths at a loss for a car that's drivable.. The Viper is extremely uncomfortable.. Heat coming up from the floor, incredible rattling and wheel-hop on rough surfaces.....

Brett
02-10-03, 09:43 AM
Yeah, probably less than the Viper.. I'm still shocked at what Dodge put together with the Viper.. Still, I think Corvette wants to have a fairly comfortable car. I wouldn't be surprised if the Vette isn't faster than the Viper - as long as it's close. I'd take a few tenths at a loss for a car that's drivable.. The Viper is extremely uncomfortable.. Heat coming up from the floor, incredible rattling and wheel-hop on rough surfaces.....

its an absolute nightmare...the first time i rode in my friends i broke the center console trying to get out...my head sticks out of the top so i look like barney rubble driving that log car and it was so jerky i thought i was gonna puke....my vette was so much more refined its ridiculous

Dead Sled
02-10-03, 12:45 PM
the Viper is a race car. 'Vette is an enthusists car. Dodge needs a camaro mustang killer , A RWP performance car that can compeeted with price and aftermarket like the stang and camaro.

If I got a vette right now it would be an all out full boogie 427 C5

Devil_concours
02-10-03, 01:41 PM
i don't know. With that much power level and substatial weight loss. It might actually happen. gm might have a viper killer in their hands.

Also gm loses money on z06 sales from i've heard from multiple sources.

look what lingenfelter engineering does with the vettes. It's amazing. They didn't even send in the 427 twinturbo version but they still ended up winning the supertuner competition.

BeelzeBob
02-10-03, 01:57 PM
The Z06 is already close to the Viper with 405hp.. Keep in mind there are Z06's running 11.9's out of the showroom.. 500hp will definitely be a Viper killer...

Dead Sled
02-10-03, 02:05 PM
but every old man in a midlife crisis owns a 'vette

viper has the prestige of being a "supercar"

BeelzeBob
02-10-03, 02:11 PM
Right. Out of the Vettes league, soughta speak.. But, I don't think GM wants another American car beating it as commonplace...

Dead Sled
02-10-03, 02:20 PM
yeah I under stand that