: 74 coup deville

curtisj85
04-08-05, 12:17 PM
I got a 74 Coup Deville from the old lady across the street for free just had to pay registration because she didnt think it ran. Her dauhter had did some torment to it but they fixed the carb and window motors. It had sat for 13 years no start. got it running but tranny wouldnt go in gear but after switching gears for about 5 min back and forth it went in drives great then my speedometer. but it back fired a few weeks later and burned up a bunch of wires on the back passenger side and it still ran after a nice tune up speedometer doesnot work though After coming home from school months later it started then now it wont start i think it is the starter. but what is the best way to replace all those wires i think that they are causing problems. and any other suggestions on what to do to it would be nice

DaveSmed
04-08-05, 09:59 PM
Your going to want a service manual for the car most likely. It has all the wiring diagrams so you know what color goes where. FWIW, your starter wire is most likely a purple 12ga wire. Thats the same wire GM has been using since they probably first put electric starters on cars.