: Want a V... Should I buy?

99GTX
04-08-05, 09:52 AM
I've been drooling over the CTS-V for the past few months and am this close to taking a trip to a dealer to pick up one.

However, I'm leary about spending $50K for a car that has some known issues in the enthusiast circles. Wheel hop and the problems with the tranny/diff seem fairly common and I don't want to own a car that can't be driven as intended or may be at the dealer every other month.

I tend not to abuse my cars, but it seems to me that these problems are even being experienced by people who only drive aggressively from time to time and are not at the track every weekend.

I really love these cars and would appreciate any advice that will either confirm my reservations or set them at ease. Also, how well do these cars handle mods? My disease started with my current '99 Grand Prix and I'm afraid it will continue with whatever new car I buy. :sneaky:

Thanks everyone!

Groo-V
04-08-05, 11:04 AM
The short answer is YES!!!! Yeah there are some issues that people have had (I'm one of the lucky ones who have not), but it is still the most addicting car I've ever owned. It is just exhillerating to drive :banana:and you definitely get noticed. You can see throughout the forum the passion the V drivers have and it comes from just purely experiencing this car.

On the mods front, you'll also see throughout this forum that there are a multitude of modifications that people have made to their V. Everything from exhaust to tint to superchargers to shifters to clear bra's to skip shift eliminators. This car was made to mod.

Go for it....you'll never regret it.:thumbsup:

trukk
04-08-05, 01:06 PM
See my reply to this exact question a few months ago:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=247780&postcount=13

from this thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31389

Search is your friend ;)

Bottom line. I'd buy it again in a second. Upside of this car eclipses the downsides by a factor of 10 IMHO.

One other thing. In 6.5k miles, the car is still ROCK solid. Not a single buzz rattle or shake anywhere. The sigma platfrom is wonderful.

-Chris

99GTX
04-08-05, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the opinions, guys. I still have to go test drive one, but I'm familiar with the LS6 motor from my father's '03 Z06. :thumbsup: It'll probably end up happening and personally I'm looking for a Stealth Gray w/ the light gray interior.

And I know, I know... search is my friend. For some reason I didn't figure I'd get many results on this topic.

trukk
04-08-05, 01:55 PM
And I know, I know... search is my friend. For some reason I didn't figure I'd get many results on this topic.

Heh, once a week we get:

1) Should I buy a V
2) What tires should I replace my F1 EMT's with
3) Corsa or BB exhaust
4) What is a good 'deal' on a V
5) Future model engine speculation

I didn't mean to sound like an ass :)

Buy it, you'll love it.

-Chris

Dave's V
04-08-05, 02:09 PM
Go test drive it and buy it!! Every car has some flaws. I remember BMWs had head gasket problems a few years ago.

The V went were no other American sedan had the guts to go, against AMG and the M series BMW. Now Chrysler is trying to get into the game.

Wheel hop is an issue. There are also some very smart people that have found cures. In regular normal day driving, you'll rarely see it. The biggest problem is there is usually a car in front of you so you can't use full power.

Rear axle whine is a problem (mine is being replaced today at 1,700 miles). I don't care, I'll take the new part. Hopefully it will last. If not, Cadillac will be replacing my axle for the next 98,000 miles free of charge to me.

Shifter is not the best but it is not the worst I've driven. And it can easily be fixed. It sort of reminds me of an older Range Rover V-8 sports car I drove in Germany. The shifts are a little long but manageable.

Tires? It is a 400hp car so yes they are expensive and yes they don't last as long as basic tires do.

I've owned my V for only 2 months. The car is exciting soon as you open the door. By the way, I originally went to look at the 05 GTO when I bought the V. Now after I saw one, I'm glad I didn't buy a GTO. It has very limited standard features compared to the V with lots of less room.

99GTX
04-08-05, 02:21 PM
Don't worry Chris... I wasn't offended. A lot of people over on ClubGP get frustrated when people don't search. For the record, I have been reading the threads on exhaust choices... ;)

I realize that every car has its flaws. I've been very lucky with my Grand Prix especially given all of the mods I've thrown at it. The trans is still holding its own (<knock on wood>) with me pushing TQ #s way above its rating. I've also had very few warranty-related problems.

One thing I have been curious about is why I don't see many people with the Stealth Gray. Does this color not look good in person? I know of two dealers in my area that have one in their inventory and I think it looks really nice from the pictures. My GP is silver and I'm just looking for something different and I don't want black.

trukk
04-08-05, 02:33 PM
To be honest with you the Stealth Gray is the only color I haven't seen in person. I love the black, and it looks the best when clean, the other 330 days of th year, it looks a bit rough. My wife said she'd divorce me if I got a red Cadillac (she grew up just outside Detroit, and to her red caddy = pimp). This is how I ended up with the Light Platinum. Light platinum also makes the car a bit more inconspicous to the Po-Po in my estimation.

Again not seeing a stealth grey in person, it must not translate well in pictures, as those that have them really like the color.

I'm not sure why you're still posting, I can tell you are sold. Were else can you get a 4 door, rear drive, manual tranny, high performace sport sedan for near $50k?

-Chris

99GTX
04-08-05, 02:38 PM
Oh trust me... I've corrupted myself into being sold. I never thought I'd even be considering a car this expensive at my age. Just need to look into a little home equity line and I'll be set.

trukk
04-08-05, 03:18 PM
Age? Just curious. I think the average is mid 30's for this car (Reed can correct me, or just release the results of the latest poll).

-Chris

Groo-V
04-08-05, 03:20 PM
I've seen the the Stealth Gray in person at the Houston auto show. It didn't do much for me because from a not too far distance, it looks light blue to me and I'm not a light blue fan. Just the biased opinion of a black V owner.

Dave's V
04-08-05, 03:49 PM
Don't worry Chris... I wasn't offended. A lot of people over on ClubGP get frustrated when people don't search. For the record, I have been reading the threads on exhaust choices... ;)

I realize that every car has its flaws. I've been very lucky with my Grand Prix especially given all of the mods I've thrown at it. The trans is still holding its own (<knock on wood>) with me pushing TQ #s way above its rating. I've also had very few warranty-related problems.

One thing I have been curious about is why I don't see many people with the Stealth Gray. Does this color not look good in person? I know of two dealers in my area that have one in their inventory and I think it looks really nice from the pictures. My GP is silver and I'm just looking for something different and I don't want black.

99GTX,
I hope this doesn't turn into ClubGP where they flame your butt for asking the same question. Both are great sites but the members here seem to be more mature. I'm Dave's GTP over there. I traded my GP in for my V 2 months ago and I sense that you are going to do the same.

The average age for this car sounds about right. Most 50 year olds don't like to shift for themselves.

The platinum looks a lot different than Pontiac's silver. Besides black and gray they have red (costs around $1K more though).

Go visit your local Cadillac dealer. Be prepared to empty your GP.

99GTX
04-08-05, 04:11 PM
I turn 30 in December. I guess I'm right in the mix, but it is definitely more money than I thought I'd spend on a car at this point in my life. I guess I can thank the disgusting increase in housing prices in No. VA in the past few years for all of my equity. It's allowing me to buy an awesome vehicle!

The problem with ClubGP is that the club has become diluted with a lot of younger members because '97-'99 GTPs can be had for pretty cheap now-a-days and the blower attracts them. There are a lot of jackasses on there, but most of the people I've met face-to-face are good guys. Oh, Dave... I'm the one that asked you a few questions about your CTS over at ClubGP. The GP GXP is the other car I've been looking at.

I don't plan on getting rid of my GP at this point. Over the past 6 years I've spent way too much money to be able to part with it right now (we're talking easily more than $10K in mods). Also, my car is the silvermist color which actually has a blue tint to it. I really like this color a lot more than the later pure silver Pontiac started using ('99 was the last year for silvermist).

Right now I'm just trying to figure out which 2-3 dealers I want to deal with and then we'll see what happens.

-- Ross

lasstss
04-08-05, 04:17 PM
Age? Just curious. I think the average is mid 30's for this car (Reed can correct me, or just release the results of the latest poll).

-Chris

Except I passed that almost 20 ago......:annoyed:

Dave's V
04-08-05, 04:21 PM
Ross,
I thought that was you on the GP board. I really enjoyed my GP but I didn't want a total of 3 cars. My 00 GTP was stock anyways. I guess you could always drive your GP in the DC traffic and leave your V for the open road.

There is a dealer in the Carolinas that a lot of people here seem to like. I can't recall the exact name or location. I think in Charlotte.

Take care!

Dave

trukk
04-08-05, 05:06 PM
Except I passed that almost 20 ago......:annoyed:

Interestingly you still act like a teenager ;)

trukk
04-08-05, 05:07 PM
BTW,

We have fairly large contingent of V owners in the DC Metro and Baltimore area's. We'd love to have another on board.
-Chris

CTSV05
04-09-05, 01:05 AM
Hey you young-uns.....eh...whats that you say....?

Well, as I have said elsewhere, if I had the money, I'd own a V in every color, and then buy a hi mileage car to build a road racer out of!!!!!!

Not that I'm biased in any way!

GNSCOTT
04-10-05, 09:41 AM
I would buy a used 04 if I had it to do over. The 04's are only 14 months old tops right now, you can get them dirt cheap, and you don't have that first year huge depreciation to worry about.

2004ctsv
04-10-05, 12:13 PM
I would buy a used 04 if I had it to do over. The 04's are only 14 months old tops right now, you can get them dirt cheap, and you don't have that first year huge depreciation to worry about.

While I'd buy another V is a heartbeat, I would be very leery of picking up a used one. I would want to know the pedigree - who owned it and how did they drive it. Then again, if you get it cheap enough, you have a great beater.

Tony

lawfive
04-10-05, 01:20 PM

Glad to hear you were convinced by the time I got to this thread, so I don't have to convince you myself. 8 months in my 2005 platinum V now, a number of mods, no problems at all. I traded my 97 GTP in on a 2004 GTP Comp G, and then made the mistake of driving the V... that was all she wrote for the Pontiac.

Yes, the 'stealth' in "Stealth Gray" means that the gray is stealthy, as in "Where the f**k is the gray?" It's blue-gray, definitely an acquired taste, and I haven't acquired it yet. :shocked: Whatever color you wind up getting, though, you'll love your V.

Get 'er done.