: chugging N*

cart69
04-08-05, 09:44 AM
my 94 kinda chugs or surges while driving? any ideas? FPR? i know the car needs a front 02 sensor and also it needs a idle control motor would those have any effect? it has done this since i bought the car but seems to be getting a little bit worse any thoughts, now that its warming up its time to fix all this stuff!!

Ranger
04-08-05, 09:45 PM
Are the plugs and wires original? How many miles on them? It may be time to replace them.

powerglide
04-08-05, 09:57 PM
hard to say, could be ignition or fuel delivery....any DTC codes?

cart69
04-11-05, 09:35 AM
its been some time since i checked the codes but last time i checked it said front o2 sensor was bad, i know by the clicking sound that the idle motor is bad, and also the car did have a misfire code too.

as far as plugs and wires i dont know the last time they were changed, i got the car almost a year ago, and it has about 85k on it now. i have been debating about doing plugs and wires as well, i just here the wires are pretty pricey!!

mcowden
04-11-05, 12:00 PM
Why don't you fix the things that you know are broken? The O2 sensor will cost you about $70-$75 to do it yourself, plugs and wires are about $190 to do it yourself if you use the recommended plugs and wires, and the IAC is about $80. For $350 and a few hours' work, you can solve all of the known issues and see if the chugging goes away. As a side benefit, it will run better and your mileage will improve. While you're in there, remove the vacuum line from the FPR with the ignition on (or engine idling) and, if it's leaking, replace it.

Spyder
04-11-05, 02:26 PM
If its on the 94 Seville...DON'T let the engine run with the top cover off of the intake...it will instantly go WOT...just turn the ignition to the run position to check for a leaky fpr.

cart69
04-11-05, 02:34 PM
cowden i plan to fix the issues at hand that i know about, i am just looking to see if there is anything else to check or look for while doing the other items i know are bad. maybe some thing i wouldnt think of that someone reccomends, then it could save me time later versus having to go back and inspect and test things i could have already done, oh yea it needs valve cover gaskets too!!! i plan to buy the parts within the next month, since its warm and my wife started a new job so the extra money is there, nothing is worse than knowing your car, motorcycle etc, needs something but having to be a tight wad and wait to get it, i hate that!!!

i think spyder said before not to run it with the beauty cover off, or i saw it somewhere since it would go WOT!! that would suck!!

cart69
04-11-05, 02:35 PM
also cowden, spyder, where do you guys reccomend getting wires and plugs from the caddy dealer?? or is there a place to order the same stuff from but maybe a little cheaper?

mcowden
04-11-05, 02:59 PM
Rock Auto has your AC-Delco wire set (628Q) for about $90, the plugs are AC-Delco 41-950 at $5.66 each, the O2 sensors are $42-$65 depending on which one you need, and the AC-Delco 217425 Idle Speed Control is $77. Look at the thread I posted about a 5% discount on parts and you can save a few bux at www.rockauto.com. They have the best prices I've seen. I couldn't find those parts at www.gmpartsdirect.com.

Get the OE-type oxygen sensors, not the universal ones. With the universals, you have to splice the wiring harness but the OEs are ready to plug in and go. You'll need an O2 sensor socket to remove/replace the sensor. Most of the major parts stores (AutoZone, Pep Boys, Advance, etc.) have them available to borrow for a fully refundable depost. Plug gap should be 0.050" but look at your underhood label just in case. Spyder is right about the beauty cover and the open intake, so just turn the ignition on to check the FPR, don't start the engine with the cover off.

I think that will get you where you need to go. All of those things will contribute to the problem, so you might as well fix them all while you have the clams to get it done. You'll be very happy with the way it runs when it's all done and you'll save on gas at the same time.

Let us know if you have any questions, what you decide to do, and how it turns out. Heck, you're in the greater Chicago area, just bring it over with a case of beer and I'll give you a hand. I've got the O2 sensor socket and been down this road before... :drinker

Mike

cart69
04-11-05, 03:14 PM
i actually live in cortland, il my zip is 60112 i am about an hour out of chicago so not to far away, i work at fermilab in the batavia/ aurora if you have ever heard of it.

mcowden
04-11-05, 03:29 PM
Yup, that's north and a little east of me. I live in Aurora, home of Wayne's World. :histeric:

powerglide
04-11-05, 03:52 PM
Got my plugs and wires a bit cheaper at gmpartsdirect. the only thing is you gaotta look up the actual part numbers beforehand....

cart69
04-11-05, 05:27 PM
god its been forever since i saw that movie, yea where i work is right by aurora cool. someone close to give advice and a hand if i end up picking up a seville that needs a head gasket job!!