: Code Pulling

DopeStar 156
04-07-05, 07:20 PM
How do you pull codes from an 89 Brougham? I know it's not done through the ECC display.

cmgrafmc
04-07-05, 09:15 PM
The ALDL port is under the ashtray in the center console, on the passenger's side. It's a little black port with like 12 pins, 6 on top and 6 on the bottom. (I'm not sure how many pins there are, it's just a guess.) Turn the key to the "ON" position but leave the car off. Take one end of an unfolded paper clip and insert it GENTLY in the top-left pin, being sure to make good contact with the pin. Insert the other end into the port directly to the left of it, also at the top. The Service Engine Soon light will blink once, then a pause, then again twice. That means '12.' (One blink, pause, two blinks.) Then it will blink your codes. You get the idea, one blink = 1, two =2, etc. After any codes have been displayed, it will blink 12 again. Look up the codes online or they may be on here somewhere, I'm not sure. You can also look up the ALDL diagram to show you which pins are for what.

DopeStar 156
04-07-05, 10:03 PM
Are you sure this is for a RWD Brougham? I don't have a Service Engine Soon light. I just have CHECK ENGINE. The reason I'm asking about the codes is because my CE light came on for a quick couple seconds last time I was driving and I just wanna know if I should worry about it.

cmgrafmc
04-07-05, 10:20 PM
Yeah, sorry, same thing. The manual refers to it as the Serice Engine Soon light. I have an 89 myself. Wish it were the color of yours, though. Heh.

DopeStar 156
04-07-05, 11:14 PM
Yeah, sorry, same thing. The manual refers to it as the Serice Engine Soon light. I have an 89 myself. Wish it were the color of yours, though. Heh.
Thanks! I do like a white Cadillac though. My lady's 91 DeVille is white on blue. What really looks sharp is a white Caddy, with white leather and the red interior. One of my favorite color combos. Thanks for the code instructions. I wonder if I should even worry about that CE light. It was only on for a couple of seconds. What are some reasons why that light comes on? Just some commo reasons, I'm sure there's a lot.

cmgrafmc
04-08-05, 03:19 AM
Usually if the light comes on and goes off, it's nothing major. Either it's fixed itself or it's something that only happens every once in a while. To be honest, if you take it to a garage (a big name muffler co. or a place like that where you can trust the guys) they'll usually hook their diagnostic computer up for free and tell you what it says. It gives them more info than we get just from that blinking light. I doubt that you have a Meineke there...but as I say, most of those big-name places all have the code readers and are nice about it.

90Brougham350
04-08-05, 11:28 AM
Take one end of an unfolded paper clip and insert it GENTLY in the top-left pin, being sure to make good contact with the pin. Insert the other end into the port directly to the left of it, also at the top.

Don't mean to nitpick, but I'd like to give this a try on my 90, but which pins exactly? The top left and the one just to the right of it?

Brian

DopeStar 156
04-08-05, 12:25 PM
Actually I do have a Meineke here but I'm sure that it had fixed itself. Thanks

cmgrafmc
04-08-05, 11:01 PM
I'm an idiot. A complete idiot. I'm sorry guys, I really am. I rechecked my info and it's not the top-left pins...it's the TOP RIGHT. I'm really sorry about that one, I was on something I guess. So it's the two top RIGHT pins that you want to connect to one another. I assume it's the same on the '90 but I can't say for sure. Be gentle with these connections though because they weren't really designed to be poked with things like paper clips. =P They'll take some minor abuse but just be careful.

Again...The two TOP RIGHT pins. I'm a schmuck.

kmhebert
04-09-05, 12:51 AM
Again...The two TOP RIGHT pins. I'm a schmuck.

Heh, don't beat yourself up. I have been pushing buttons on the ECC trying to pull codes. I will try your advice tomorrow, thank you!

90Brougham350
04-09-05, 11:22 AM
Thank you, and don't sweat it, easy mistake to make!

Brian