: Headlight Adjusters

AllenPacla
04-07-05, 04:09 PM
I finally gave in to the idea to make my own headlight adjuster after the ones in the Catera's headlight assembly broke into pieces. And here is a picture of what i did. I used half inch angled aluminum, a piece of threaded nut, a piece of screw with the head that fits the original clip that clips into the headlight reflector, a piece of galvanized wire strong enough to hold the screw in place when it's inside the clip and some tools to get the job done. Anyone who in the past have disassembled the headlight assembly knows what that clip that clips to the reflector looks like. Originally, it is connected to a column that is connected to the turning threaded bolt that adjust the reflector forward and backward to tilt it either down or up. And those column are made of plastic that in time due to heat i guess becomes brittle and would break easily during adjustment. So, if you would notice in the pictures, the angled aluminum replaces the column and I made a cut on one end of the angled aluminum so that i can bend it perpendicular which in turn will connect to the clip via a screw that is screwed to the bent end of the aluminum. The head of that screw is then secured by any wire strong enough and i had it through the holes around the clips. Normally, after the column breaks, it will leave a part still attached into the clip. Don't remove all of this, try to leave a portion of it inside the clip just enough to hold the head of the screw in place so it won't be moving in and out. Because, definitely, you won't find a screw with a head that is perfectly fitting into the clip. To gradually remove that part of the plastic column still left inside the clip, you can use any matching size drill bit and just by hand turn the drill bit inside the clip eating away part of that plastic until there is just enough of it left inside. The plastic is so brittle that you could definitely do this drill bit thing by hand. Now, the tricky part is to get the threaded nut to stay in place on the other end of the aluminum. I used pliers to crimp around the nut and a hammer to make some fine adjustment. So, the idea is when clamping the nut with the aluminum, place it in a position where you will be able to crimp on both sides of it. Remember not to crimp to much leaving just enough space for the adjusting bolt that will go through it later. I know, that this may be too complicated to some, but will definitely be easy for others who has the time and patience. I guess the picture itself explains some of the things that needs to be accomplished.