: Changing brakes.

Jose_in_a_Cadi
04-07-05, 10:12 AM
I was wondering what all is needed to do to change the brakes on my 98' catera I have basic tool at hand but I'm not sure if I would need anything other than your normal rachets and wrenchs:hmm: So if anybody could give me in some direction on what to do it would be very helpfull

also is there a site that could give me step by step directions?

Thanks in advance

omermurat
04-07-05, 12:52 PM
All you need is basic tools and common sense. But you need to keep it in mind that if you are not sure what you are doing with your brakes, you better let a professional handle it for you..!

The rear brakes are easier. On the calipers you'll see two pins, just push them in and slide them out. Watch for the flat spring that holds the pads as it might spring out! Simply slide the pads out and push the pistons (there are two ofthem) slowly in with a big screw driver to make room for your new and thicker pads. Slide your pads in, if they don't fit just don't force them, push the pistons in a little more. You'll see the oil level going up in the reservoir (keep in mind that brake fluid burns your paint, so flush it with water). After installing the pads simply push the pins in "all the way" until they are fully seated. Don't forget to put the spring in the position either.

Front brakes are a little bit more complicated as they have wear sensors on them. If your new pads come with sensors simply route the wire and plug it just like the previous one. If not, simply pry the old ones out of their places by using a pair of needle nose pliers and place them in to the new pads. Please use great care as these sensors are very fragile! I managed to transfer one of them without a problem but the second one got broken on me and I secured it on the brake line to keep it out of the way. That is something nice to have but most of the cars don't have that feature, I think it is not that necessary, but it's just me! You'll see two bolts securing the caliper, just remove the bottom one and lift the caliper up to expose the pads, remove the old ones and install the new ones. Now it's time to push the piston in to make room for your new pads. You might want to get a caliper pushing tool ($5-10 at any car store) to push the caliper in though. Finally lower the caliper down and install the bolt o secure it.

Remember to use a stand instead of just a jack, wear some protective gloves & goggles, double check everything and then check it again.!

DON'T FORGET TO PUMP YOUR BRAKES BEFORE DRIVE IT..!

Do several complete stops with your new brakes to get them seated, but do not drive with the brakes on. Lastly, it takes around 100 miles for them to completely seated to be 100% efficient.

Good luck :)

strap
04-23-05, 04:20 PM
A question about rear brakes, the pins that go through the guides at the top of the pads I don't see an easy way to get them out. I have tried to use something to push them through the guide holes on the side but I am not able to get the pins out. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

omermurat
04-23-05, 09:21 PM
Just use a same dimension philips head screwdriver and a small hammer to tap them out of their holes. Lightly tap them towards the car, they'll come out.

strap
04-24-05, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the info. I had tried a flat head and an alan wrench with a rubber mallet with no luck. I will try the phillips though and see if I can get them to move. The previous owner hadn't changed the brakes in a long time and they may just be stubbon in coming out.