: What to do in Pre-Clear Bra Driving?

estatesatty
04-07-05, 10:19 AM
Alright, so I have the tickets and I am ready to fly out to pick up my new V next weekend. I have the clear bra scheduled for the monday I get back. However, between me and the clear bra is about 1200 miles of highway driving back from MS. I spoke with my clear bra installer and his only explanation for protection before the install is to buy some light duty painter's tape. I would do this, but know it is gonna look like crap. They only make it in bright blue and white. I have a red car for god's sake. Any other ideas? Am I being too paranoid?

Klamath
04-07-05, 10:36 AM
Is the car brand new? Maybe you'll get lucky and the make-ready tape is still on it from cadillac.

Worse case scenario, tape it all up and people will be posting "spy pics" that they saw the new 2006 CTS-V with the body panel disguises.

04-07-05, 11:07 AM
I installed mine after 3000 miles. There were already a few chips; I touched them up with the duplicolor and put the bra right over them. Virtually invisible after the install was done.

Your level of anality is completely up to you. I see nothing wrong with the painters tape; some packing tape is clear but it is too sticky and will leave residue. If the painters tape gets wet, though, it might leave residue after it dries.

You could temporarily install one of those goofy black naugahyde bras, too.......but now your spending more money.

I like the way you think, though. Good to know that there are some owners who are more anal retentive than I am about their new cars!

Enjoy the new ride. Stay clear of dump trucks and cement trucks on the highway.....

Doug

malcolm
04-07-05, 11:12 AM
I would take my chances, have never had a problem with the front of the car getting dinged, besides any bra looks worst than the ding, in my opinion. Drive it and enjoy it.

Rachane
04-07-05, 02:45 PM
(1) Avoid wet road conditions when making the trip. Stones are more easily picked up by wet/muddy tires of other vehicles.

(2) Try to keep at least one lane between you and any truck with mudflaps.

(3) If you can't do #2 and need to pass such a truck, do so as close as safely possible behind another car.

(4) And of course slower speeds on less-congested alternate routes help.

(5) If you get a chip anyway, remember that a good bodyshop with your bottle of factory touchup paint and about $30 can make it 99% disappear in about a 1/2 hour.

(6) Run, do not walk to:

http://bluelightning.zoovy.com/product/TOUCHUP

Good luck! :thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
04-08-05, 12:47 AM
I would take my chances, have never had a problem with the front of the car getting dinged, besides any bra looks worst than the ding, in my opinion. Drive it and enjoy it.It must have been the super-titanium alloy box you check whenever you buy your new car.

For us normal people, it can't be helped that you get chips on the front of your car. Even the most anal of us can't stop it. The clear bra is the way to go.