: Remove the water pump pulley

vett97
04-07-05, 09:46 AM
Hello

I am look for the tool to remove the water pump pulley on a 1995 Cadillac Seville 4.6l DOHC engine. I would like to buy, rent or borrow this tool.

Thank You

Paul
email deanepaul@hotmail.com

mcowden
04-07-05, 01:18 PM
Well, the pulley is part of the pump assembly, so you can't really remove just the pulley unless I'm misunderstanding something. If you're looking for the tool to remove the pump, you can probably borrow it at a local auto parts store such as AutoZone or Pep Boys. All of the parts stores in my area carry it as a borrowable item with a fully refundable deposit. Or, if you ask real nice, Ranger might tell you how to make one of your own like he did.

vett97
04-07-05, 02:32 PM
Hello

The puller needed is a J-38825. I do not want to remove the water pump just the pulley so I can remove the valve/cam cover.

Thank You
Paul

mcowden
04-07-05, 03:05 PM
So what you really need is the tool to remove the cam pulley that drives the water pump, not the water pump pulley. Have you asked the local parts stores? They had the water pump tool near me, they may have the cam pulley tool as well.

BeelzeBob
04-07-05, 04:05 PM
The tool that removes the water pump drive pulley from the inlet cam stub shaft is a simple power steering pulley removal tool. Most any auto parts store has the generic power steering pump pulley tool. It catches over the small lip on the end of the pulley to pull on the hub of the pulley. Make sure and use a correct pulley "puller" or long bolt or piece of threaded stock to pull the pulley back on. "Tapping" it on will destroy the hub and the bond between the hub and pulley material.

When you get the pulley off it will take a bit of maneuvering to get the cover off over the end of the camshaft. It will come off but you have to rock the cover to one side and cock it to get clearance as it slides off. Be patient....it will come off with plenty of clearance and no effort at all....just have to find the right position.