: Help please Rust on Rotor question

dannystang
04-06-05, 07:41 PM
Is it possible to remove the rust on the rotor? I just got my car in from ohio and its REALLY badly rusted.

Not worried about the rotor portion that touches the pad Im sure I can get that off with some heavy breaking :D.

But the lower portion (going from outer to inner portion of rotor) is FULL of rust it looks like utter crap.

I tried a break dust remover and did nothing. I know powder coating or I guess simple spray pain would probably do it but is there any other viable options...?

BTW isnt this crap supposed to be primed so it DOESNT rust?

RobzBLKV
04-06-05, 07:51 PM
My rotor hats are primed. No rust that I have noticed. If the rust is how I picture it in my mind, I would try a stiff steel brush. But I couldn't really say without seeing what you are talking about. Pics?

ssmith100
04-06-05, 08:44 PM
Only going to get worse and nothing is going to get it off. You have two options, powdercoate or paint. I had mine powdercoated but if I had to do it over I would paint them. Less hassle.

Shane

Dennisscars
04-06-05, 08:55 PM
Mine we're butt :farting: ugly from day one. They always landed rusted side up. Painted mine black to match car, I think it makes the rotors float out from rim and look even bigger. I painted the rotor hats black because it looked like they didn't turn them over when they painted them silver so I had a rust shadow at the 6 o'clock position. It was always where you could see it when you stopped or wanted good pics.

I used VHT # SP-734 Gloss Black Rotor paint, I think I got it from Summit or Jegís. I took the rotors off used decal/paint remover (NAPA product) wire brushed them. Took them down to metal. I masked the wear surface because I didnít want to contaminate the pads. I also painted down the cooling vents for a finished look. I cooked them under my Propane patio heater for about an hour, let them rest overnight before installing. I have almost 1K miles and look great. I donít suggest painting them on car, take a day and do it right.

http://www.stealthv.com/customers_vs.htm

dannystang
04-06-05, 09:24 PM
Thanks I guess paint is the way to go...

Anyone done this in siver..And if so know what color somewhat matches...

Hate to buy 5 cans for trial an error...

BTW - Wire brush does nothing its HORRIBLY rusted

carpe dm
04-06-05, 09:24 PM
I have wire-brushed and painted rotors on the car with good results. Work hard to get them clean, mask, spray and go. :)

StealthV
04-06-05, 09:37 PM
Danny, brand new GM rotors aren't all that expensive. You could purchase new ones and just put them on or send them out to get powdercoated or spray-paint them, etc.

homer403
04-06-05, 09:41 PM
dannystang, have you asked you dealer's dervice department??? If the hat part is rusting, they may replace it under warranty.

Dennisscars
04-06-05, 10:20 PM
5 cans? I did all four with 1 can...

ssmith100
04-06-05, 10:39 PM
Mine were replaced under warranty. But I'm usually eating dinner with the Service Manager about 1 a week. Guess who buys.:shhh:

Shane

dannystang
04-07-05, 06:16 AM
5 cans? I did all four with 1 can...

I meant 5 cans trying to find the color to match

SBONES
04-07-05, 01:57 PM
You want to know something, everything was fine untill this post. I go out to check out my (not rusty) rotors and sure enough, theres rust on them..:nono: Im so pissed right now..that got to be fixed, calling the powder coating person today.....:cookoo: :yup:

Art138
04-07-05, 02:40 PM
Shortly after I got my V in March I jacked it up and did a visual of the underneath. Noticed considerable salt like grains imbedded around the wheel wells. Probably related to de-icing of the parking areas near the production plant. Nevertheless, I bought silver wheel paint(aerosol) from EASTWOOD and it seemed to work pretty well. Light 1500grit sandpaper is what I used to smooth out the rust spots.

dannystang
04-07-05, 07:24 PM
You want to know something, everything was fine untill this post. I go out to check out my (not rusty) rotors and sure enough, theres rust on them..:nono: Im so pissed right now..that got to be fixed, calling the powder coating person today.....:cookoo: :yup:

Sorry :crying2: