: tranny bad?

baus
04-06-05, 12:21 PM
i just got a 81 sadan deville and i drove it for about a day and then the tranny started to slip but if you let it cool down it doesnt happen unitl it gets warm. but i dont think its the tranny cause when it happens i dont have any gears at all not even revers so if anyone has an idea of what it is i would really like some help on this one
p.s. new to this site not new to cars so please dont treat my like a noob

bgridin
04-06-05, 04:23 PM
I have a 1985 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, I have the exact same problem bro. When I first start my car I can shift from park to drive with no problem. After awhile it's starts to slip, and I have problems slowing down, the car will start to choke like it doesn't want to go from second to first. It also shifts hard like it's sticking, whenever I go from either park or reverse to drive. I have it at the mechanics right now, they were saying it doesn't sound like the tranny, so as soon as I hear the word on what the problem is, I will post here again.

FASSTWOOD
04-06-05, 07:39 PM
Welcome aboard! It does sound like a tranny problem. Maybe just replacing the filter and trans fluid will get you by. Sounds like worn clutches once the fluid gets hot the clutches start slipping.

bgridin
04-07-05, 04:03 AM
That's exactly what it was too, pretty much it's just wear and tear on the tranny. I put some tranny stuff in my car and it's running better but not perfect. Eventually, ya gots to rebuilt it anyway. Sorry couldn't be more help.

baus
04-07-05, 02:53 PM
i changed the tranny fluid but not the filter

bgridin
04-11-05, 05:25 AM
Hey Baus, I just checked out my tranny again because I was having problems with going up an incline. I was having the same problems again, with the sputtering and losing power, first thing to mind was the tranny again...wrong for my case. It was the spark plugs and wires that go with it, hope this helps out. Pull one of your plugs and check to see if it's good, also check your hoses out.

N0DIH
04-11-05, 03:57 PM
An old trick for RV's was to add in around 10-15% engine oil. Like 30W to 60W. I have done it, it doesn't hurt anything. It does make the fluid thicker, which might keep you on the road longer. You can run as much as 50% IMHO, I have run over 30% in my 91 Bonneville 4T60, which after 250K miles, still runs great (I used Mobil 1 10W30, hey, its what I had on the shelf!).

Trans fluid is around a 20W oil with additives and high detergent to keep the clutches clean. Maybe BBob can post more if he knows trans fluid.