: missing bolts on side of oilpan and A-frame...

mtflight
04-06-05, 12:07 PM
While looking at the car from the underside, I noticed that there were at least 3 missing bolts--and one of them was about to fall off.

These are dry holes--on the sidewall of the pan. I can't find these on the service manual... but the threads reveal that large bolts go in there.

The biggest concern: There is a bolt missing that attaches to a tab on a black tubular structure--what looks like an axle, front passenger side. The tab that fastens this black tubular thingy has a nut built-in. The bolt goes from the A-frame on the passenger side front wheel through the nut on this tab. Does this explain a random seldom "clunk" feel on the steering? It is not replicable--just happens rarely. I thought it was related to a tie rod but I had those replaced and it still happens every now and then.

It was late at night, but I can't believe the 3 mechanics that looked at this car did not mention any missing bolts.

How do I go about replacing these bolts? I can do it, but what size are they?? how to I order what I don't know?

Thanks for your help!

-Alex

BeelzeBob
04-07-05, 04:18 PM
While looking at the car from the underside, I noticed that there were at least 3 missing bolts--and one of them was about to fall off.

These are dry holes--on the sidewall of the pan. I can't find these on the service manual... but the threads reveal that large bolts go in there.

The biggest concern: There is a bolt missing that attaches to a tab on a black tubular structure--what looks like an axle, front passenger side. The tab that fastens this black tubular thingy has a nut built-in. The bolt goes from the A-frame on the passenger side front wheel through the nut on this tab. Does this explain a random seldom "clunk" feel on the steering? It is not replicable--just happens rarely. I thought it was related to a tie rod but I had those replaced and it still happens every now and then.

It was late at night, but I can't believe the 3 mechanics that looked at this car did not mention any missing bolts.

How do I go about replacing these bolts? I can do it, but what size are they?? how to I order what I don't know?

Thanks for your help!

-Alex

Take the adjacent bolt out and see if it fits the hole. Take it into the auto parts store or hardware store and buy more that size. The OEM bolt is nice but a generic bolt is better than no bolt. Most hardware stores have a bin or tray of higher grade (grade 8) bolts of various sizes. The bolts are metric so realize that going in. It is probably a 12 mm bolt from my guessing but taking one out of the bracket that looks similar would be the right approach.

mtflight
04-17-05, 05:56 AM
Take the adjacent bolt out and see if it fits the hole. Take it into the auto parts store or hardware store and buy more that size. The OEM bolt is nice but a generic bolt is better than no bolt. Most hardware stores have a bin or tray of higher grade (grade 8) bolts of various sizes. The bolts are metric so realize that going in. It is probably a 12 mm bolt from my guessing but taking one out of the bracket that looks similar would be the right approach.

Bingo. Thanks, I replaced the bolts!