: Colin Powell to drive pace car at Indianapolis 500

HotRodSaint
04-06-05, 11:58 AM
From the State Department to the Brickyard: former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell will drive the pace car at this year's Indianapolis 500. Powell will be at the wheel of a new Corvette Convertible for his pace laps, set for race day on May 29. It's the seventh time a Corvette has been the pace car and the 16th time a Chevrolet has led the pack. Powell is the owner of a 2005 Corvette coupe, according to Chevrolet. "I am very excited and looking forward to driving the Corvette pace car to lead the field at the Indy 500. It is a great American tradition and I am honored to be a part of it," Powell said in a press release.

Stoneage_Caddy
04-06-05, 12:09 PM
Honestly i would have rather seen the 05 vette as the pace car last year , they acually had 5 or 6 ont he grounds , with is 2-4 more than the regualtions say (you need 3) and as dodge did with the viper in 91

this year would have been great to see a white 2005 Mustang GT Vert , in the same scheme as the 64 ...but alas the folks at indy said you can pace anymore without a engine in the feild ..a new rule that came out at the time the Olds Bravada was chosen as the pace car ...

wait a tick , that chevy engine is really a ford cosworth ...i found a loophole !!!!!