: Auto-Dimming Mirror, '89, KAPUT

cmgrafmc
04-06-05, 03:16 AM
Well, the automatic mirror doesn't seem to work. I assume it is supposed to automatically tilt when it detects headlights from behind. (I've had the car a month, it's never worked.) The green light comes on so I know it's getting power. I have to assume it's either the sensor or the motor. I don't hear any motor noise at all; it doesn't sound like it's even trying to move.

Since it's not working, I have to either place it with a standard one that I actually would have to adjust myself...which frankly is not an option. I mean, really. Flipping a lever? Who does that? =P

SO, since the wiring is there, I could either replace it with a similar one, assuming I could find one OR I could put in one from like a 2000 Deville. Right? I mean, the compass isn't important but it's cool and the auto dimming is nice...so all I'd need to do is figure out which wires are for what and connect it up myself, yes? Or should I stay stock and replace the adjustable old-school "NEAR~FAR" mirror? Stock is cool but then again...compass. LOL

Advice, tips appreciated.:worship:

DopeStar 156
04-06-05, 11:12 AM
If the green light is on that means it's in night mode. Try manually tipping it until you see it in night mode, then turn the switch off. Turn it back on after like a few seconds and it should fix. If not, your photocell is fried and the mirror is useless. I'd look for a replacement from a 90-92 Brougham since there's a good chance those will work.

brougham
04-06-05, 11:58 PM
It shouldn't be too hard to find another one in a junk yard. The front wheel drive Cadillacs had the same mirror like that and Lincolns had them too.The ones the 1990-1992 Broughams had are different.

N0DIH
04-07-05, 01:14 PM
What is needed to swap in an auto night/day mirror from a vehicle like my 96 Suburban that has the compass also. Or a 99 Suburban that has compass and ext temp as well as night/day?

I like having the compass in the mirror like that, not obtrusive and easy to read. Wish it did degrees though....

cmgrafmc
04-07-05, 09:07 PM
That's kinda what I'm wanting, too. While the stock mirror looks cool and old school, having the compass would be useful.